Date: 18-04-24  Time: 04:51 am

Author Topic: Black widow exhaust quality?  (Read 1229 times)

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Black widow exhaust quality?
« on: 18 May 2022, 06:00:49 pm »

Hi allWas thinking of upgrading my exhaust as I don't want to take it off the road while I fix the dreaded siezed exup butterfly valve screws, black widow seem very cheap compared to brands such as akropovic and scorpion.

My question is are they any good? I'd be interested to hear of anyones experience with black widow
Thanks 👍
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Black widow exhaust quality?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2022, 07:10:58 pm »
You'd need to make sure you get advice from a Gen 2 owner, as on Gen 1's a Black Widow is a very poor substitute for a stock set of headers with a working exup valve. Good luck with your choice, but bear in mind, buy cheap, buy twice. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2022, 09:20:52 pm »
I bought a Back Window carbon fibre end can for the little KTM . The end can is really well made-  carbon fibre and the stainless fittings seem really good. It's re-packable and it is a British company. Obviously can't answer for the the headers but their cat eliminators get good reviews in the forums.Rob

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2022, 12:08:48 am »
You'd need to make sure you get advice from a Gen 2 owner, as on Gen 1's a Black Widow is a very poor substitute for a stock set of headers with a working exup valve. Good luck with your choice, but bear in mind, buy cheap, buy twice. :)
Yes I forgot to mention gen2 thanks for the reminder 👍

Which brings me to another question about eliminating the exup, are there any performance issues?

I have bought cheap and paid twice in the past so I thought I'd run it by some fellow foccers first.
*Disclaimer*

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2022, 12:14:11 am »
I bought a Back Window carbon fibre end can for the little KTM . The end can is really well made-  carbon fibre and the stainless fittings seem really good. It's re-packable and it is a British company. Obviously can't answer for the the headers but their cat eliminators get good reviews in the forums.Rob
Thanks for the input, my son also has one on his KTM and other than discolouring on the link pipe it seems to be wearing well but all or most stainless does that. I'm not going for headers just the silencer and link pipe while I repair the OEM
*Disclaimer*

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2022, 06:33:20 pm »
The Exup on the Gen2 is purely for noise dampening. It won't effect anything except the sound if it's removed 👍🏻 just makes sure to disconnect the cables from the servo under the seat too. Leave the servo in place that way you won't get any error codes and as far as the bike knows everything is still at factory spec, saves wasting £30 on a servo eliminator

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2022, 10:31:01 pm »
The Exup on the Gen2 is purely for noise dampening. It won't effect anything except the sound if it's removed 👍🏻 just makes sure to disconnect the cables from the servo under the seat too. Leave the servo in place that way you won't get any error codes and as far as the bike knows everything is still at factory spec, saves wasting £30 on a servo eliminator
That's interesting, I had noticed on my gen2 that when I rev it in neutral and watch the cables it only moves slightly over 6k rpm whereas my previous gen1 would move from 2k rpm
*Disclaimer*

Wallace

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZR1000 Exup RU, RD350lc
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2022, 09:55:44 pm »

Thanks for confirming this. I have an FZR1000RU and know that they run like sh#te if you take the exup valve out.

Just got a Gen2 yesterday and was a bit concerned when I started checking it over properly this afternoon that the valve had been removed.

I know I should have checked first but there-you-go. Looks like I got away with it this time for a change ..

And it seems it's got a Black-Widow exhaust, somewhere  under all the corrosion on the headers.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2022, 09:57:35 pm by Wallace »