Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:05 pm

Author Topic: Varifocals and riding  (Read 1948 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Varifocals and riding
« on: 13 June 2023, 08:18:22 am »
Hi All, me again!  LOL

I'm of an age where varifocals are needed.

What would you guys who wear them recommend for riding?  Use your varifocals or use normal glasses/contacts to keep peripheral vision?

Just trying to work out best options and where best to put my money.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Varifocals and riding
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2023, 10:20:44 am »
You can get bifocal contact lenses which are based around a Fresnel Lens that can do distance and close up at the same time (your brain ignores the unfocussed image).

I tried them when I started to need reading glasses, but unfortunately my eyes tend to water if it's cold and I got a lot of flaring and glare from car lights at night, so had to give up on them.

There's also an alternative where you have one lens focussed for distance and the other for close up, but I didn't like that because it compromised my binocular vision.

Talk to your optician and see what options are available for you.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2023, 10:41:36 am »
I had to change to varifocals a few years ago. Had been riding using 'distance' lenses, which were fine, but completely lost focus on the instruments and satnav etc.
Varifocals solved all the problems. You need a pair with reasonable size lenses, so that the change is gradual. Was originally fearful, but you soon get used to them.

Just be careful when walking down stairs  :eek

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2023, 10:54:12 am »
I tried the Varifocals, but could not live with them, as they gave me headaches. I now have what they call excutive lenses, these are a spilt lens top half for long distance and lower half for reading.
Work great on the bike as I can see long distance and read the clocks. I have two sets one with a light tint for sunny days and the other plain for night and dull days.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2023, 12:38:52 pm »
I ride with varifocals with no real issues. You dont need to move your head so much to read the speedo etc.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2023, 05:11:16 pm »
Varifocals would be the way to go, with reactor light lenses if not too expensive. Worth taking a crash helmet with you to the opticians so that you choose a frame that’s compatible with being shoved over your ears repeatedly. Some stylish but flimsy frames won’t last five minutes, or are not rigid enough to be pushed past your ears at all.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2023, 05:44:11 pm »
Varifocals would be the way to go, with reactor light lenses if not too expensive. Worth taking a crash helmet with you to the opticians so that you choose a frame that’s compatible with being shoved over your ears repeatedly. Some stylish but flimsy frames won’t last five minutes, or are not rigid enough to be pushed past your ears at all.

Or wear a flip front one to save taking the glasses off
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2023, 08:21:07 pm »
I'm not a flip front kind of a guy :lol , but take your  :thumbup point
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2023, 12:31:14 pm »
I think the trick is to buy glasses just for the bike (helmet )
I am a glasses wearer for driving but do not need varifocals but I buy mine from glasses direct they send you 4 pairs to try at home at a time so I can try with my helmet on. No good so send back and try another 4. What's good is that they are so cheap I can buy a pair just for the bike so I am not buying them to also suit me day to day so it does not matter what they look like so long as they are good with the helmet. I find that rimless ones with a very thin arm that can slip between my head and the sponge are  the best ones.The ones I have are actually women's ones but fit the helmet perfectly.   
I find a stiff arm makes the glasses sit wrong with my helmet
Theses are mine, very thin arms that are also comfortable and do not press on the head and very good preferal vision due to no frame
These may not be much use with varifocals though as said you need a big lens to get the two distances in.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2023, 12:59:51 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2023, 01:28:07 pm »
I didn't mean a big big lens for varifocals. Just not those letterbox type lenses, which are apparently fashionable

Kenbob

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2023, 08:18:31 pm »
I absolutely couldn’t get on with varifocals, my peripheral vision was always blurred which I hated.
I wear bifocals and have done so for many years, much better for me.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2023, 10:58:39 pm »
I've been wearing varifocals for years now. I just pop them on in the morning and that's it till bedtime. It took a few days to adjust when I first got them but now I never think about it.

Cheers

John

The devil made me do it!

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2023, 07:06:22 pm »
Had glasses for a few years now and at first was dubious if I could ride in them. I struggle with Distance and Near but the biggest bug bear was the frame being in the way of my peripheral vision plus the outer edge of the lens tended to "blur" a little in the same peripheral area.

I needed to go vari focal to solve my two sight issues .....basically, keep my head up and distance is ok, drop my eyes only and reading the clocks or satnav is great
I'm used to "scanning" so my head movement now negates the area where my peripheral was being compromised.

They take some getting used to, but no more than when you buy your very first pair of glasses.

I'd recommend you go for them Harry, I've never looked back
fire never sleeps

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2023, 07:08:38 pm »
They take some getting used to, but no more than when you buy your very first pair of glasses.

I mean in general day to day.......not on the bike. Once your eyes are ok with them, your eyes adjust no matter what you're doing

Edited to be able to read it - font size increased
« Last Edit: 17 October 2023, 07:57:27 pm by BBROWN1664 »
fire never sleeps

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2023, 03:13:20 pm »
My issue with varifocals is that the lense I got from spec savers were to me of very poor qaulity.

- when on the computer, look straight ahead and looking from left to right across the middle of the screen (so no deviating into the corners of the lenses, text and other UI elementas would be either in or out of focus.
- when riding the bike both mirrors were out of focus as well as the clocks. I would have to move my entire head just to see out of the mirrors or look at the clocks. Where as before I could just move my eyes. Moving my head is a lot slower then my eys, so imho this is a safety downgrade bordering on dangerous.

My main issue with varifocals is the the fact there is no perscription in all four corners of the lense, this easily 3rd or more of the lense that can't be used. I'm basically paying for a downgrade. So my question is there any bifocal/varifocal lense that -

- use all of the bloody lense from left to right.
- and where the transition in perscription is smooth.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2023, 10:44:33 am by b1k3rdude »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2023, 12:07:27 pm »
Yep, mine do all of that. Took my Boots prescription to https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 October 2023, 01:39:35 pm »
Yep, mine do all of that. Took my Boots prescription to https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk
So -

- Your perscription goes to all four corners of the lense
- Uses all of the lense from left to right.
- and the transition in perscription is smooth.

What type do you have bi-focal or varifocal..?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 October 2023, 07:30:40 pm »
The prescription just gives the near and distance values. It's the way Glasses Direct constructed the lenses that gives the benefits you mention. They are graduated varifocals.. I can see instruments and mirrors sharp, as well as distance. Glasses Direct give you multiple options for type of lens

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 October 2023, 11:33:02 am »
The prescription just gives the near and distance values. It's the way Glasses Direct constructed the lenses that gives the benefits you mention. They are graduated varifocals.. I can see instruments and mirrors sharp, as well as distance. Glasses Direct give you multiple options for type of lens
Sounds perfect distance straight ahead, instruments - near eyes down and mirrors sort of in the middle.
But wait a minute when you look at a mirror you are in effect looking at distance so the middle should not matter  :think     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 October 2023, 04:44:58 pm »
But wait a minute when you look at a mirror you are in effect looking at distance so the middle should not matter       
Not on a boxeye you're not. You're looking at your elbows :pokefun