Date: 01-05-24  Time: 10:17 am

Author Topic: Nitrogen over Air - can you feel the difference?  (Read 2168 times)

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Nitrogen over Air - can you feel the difference?
« on: 27 August 2013, 10:49:19 am »
On my weekend riding haunt a big bikers cafe has a guy offering Nitrogen for your bike tyres.
The brochure says better grip, feel, longer lasting tyres, stable pressure from cold to warm tyres, less carbon foot print through better tyre rolling efficiency and some other bullshit. Oh, and less leakage as the Nitrogen molecules are larger. Actually the air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen according to Wiki.

The leakage and stability adds up. I can't feel difference riding though. I thought I did straight up but that was probably in my head shortly after a double shot  :rollin

If anyone has tried the Nitrogen can you really feel the difference riding your machine?

where does the muffler go?

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: Nitrogen over Air - can you feel the difference?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2013, 12:01:50 pm »
So if it's the oxygen molecules escaping surely that leaves only Nitrogen in the tyres anyway?
So after a few top ups of std air you've got Nitrogen filled tyres anyway and saved money :lol
How much was it anyway?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2013, 12:06:25 pm »
I put helium in mine. A bloke down the pub said it would make my bike lighter :rolleyes

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2013, 12:33:56 pm »
AUD$10

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2013, 01:25:05 pm »
I believe that racers only use what they call 'dry nitrogen' because the pressure doesn't change when the tyre gets hot due to there being no moisture or other unstable contaminants , and we all know how hot race tyres get!

I know a guy with a Nissan GT-R, and they have the ultra high performance tyres filled with nitrogen. He track races it occasionally, and says he can't feel the difference if he fills the tyres with compressed air.
For the road its probably not necessary unless you ride like Rossi.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2013, 12:24:12 pm »
So if it's the oxygen molecules escaping surely that leaves only Nitrogen in the tyres anyway?
So after a few top ups of std air you've got Nitrogen filled tyres anyway and saved money :lol
How much was it anyway?

Great comment  :lol     I'll be mentioning that to this guy where up there next.

Lets see if he can squirm of of that!   :eek
« Last Edit: 28 August 2013, 12:24:43 pm by Camshaft »

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2013, 02:24:22 pm »
Did he take your wheels off, place them in a vacuum tank to remove all the "deadly" air that was in them before filling with nitrogen, or did the 100% nitrogen just get mixed in with the bit of air that was in the deflated tyre already? ;)   :rollin

Cheers,
Rob

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2013, 09:39:21 pm »
As this video shows if the condition are 100% clinical then yes there could be. but I doubt many of us will notice it.
http://youtu.be/knHeUF9JLzg

I once had tyres fitted in Costco and they filled with nitrogen. noticed no difference at all..
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2013, 08:41:14 am »
Did he take your wheels off, place them in a vacuum tank to remove all the "deadly" air that was in them before filling with nitrogen, or did the 100% nitrogen just get mixed in with the bit of air that was in the deflated tyre already? ;)   :rollin

Cheers,
Rob

No, bike on side stand the machine nearly emptied all air then filled with Nitrogen then repeated that process once more automatically.

After another 2-3 weeks if pressure is hardly lost I'll be using it again mainly for the low maintenance aspect.

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2013, 08:51:49 am »
As this video shows if the condition are 100% clinical then yes there could be. but I doubt many of us will notice it.
http://youtu.be/knHeUF9JLzg

I once had tyres fitted in Costco and they filled with nitrogen. noticed no difference at all..

Back to the hand pump and pressure gauge at home I think.
Some people will try to sell sand to the Arabs and ice to the Eskimos  :D

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2013, 10:41:56 am »
A few garages near me now offer this for an extra 2-3 quid. Claims are wild but one I do belive is less maintenance as less loss. Ok for my van but I check my bike to often to matter.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2013, 11:38:33 pm »
Why would you bother wasting good money, when it is good practice to check tyres and tyre pressures regularly for safety. :eek
I always check the tyre pressures weekly and tyre condition at the same time. It only takes 5 minutes.
Low tyre pressures can mean slow punctures and checking the tyre pressure is a sure fire way of noticing it as it is not always possible to see the offending puncture causing item or leaking valve.