Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:50 pm

Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 1695 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Brake Pads
« on: 14 April 2014, 07:05:59 am »
Anyone got any recommendations?
I've used EBC HHs in the past which were good, but very hard on disc wear, so wanted to look at alternatives.
Don't know what's on there at the moment, but they've lasted well, and done the job.
Heard a horror story about EBC organics recently - only lasted 4000 miles and fell apart!  :eek
Can get Ferodos cheap at work, but not sure if they're any good these days - haven't used them since my turbo in '85, and didn't know any better back then (some say..... :lol ).
What's good?

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2014, 07:20:49 am »
hi, nick...i had those galfer pads in mine and they where very good"...but recently switched to sbs, i had these in my fjr and they where brilliant!!...very heavy bike that, but they would stop it on a 10pence piece!!...stuck with them since cus the ware rate is very good and my discs havnt suffered!..a mate of mine with a busa swares by the ferodo pads but he says ware rate of pad crap compared to sbs ;) .........

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2014, 09:03:20 am »
I have just replaced mine with SBS Race Sintered pads and first impressions are excellent......I have also upgraded to a Brembo master cylinder and Hel lines so expected a massive improvement anyway

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2014, 12:46:14 pm »
Just got front Yamahas (yet to fit) for a ridiculous bargain. From what I've read about them they are great pads including reviews from members of this site.
Now sourcing rear pads and probably will end up with EBC HH or Goldfren and both can be sourced from ebay for a very reasonable price.(down under that is, bit pricey here)

For now I have EBC HH F + R and had earlier complained about them but since heavier linear rate fork springs installed they respond very well and have given the front brakes a new lease on life and they feel great!
where does the muffler go?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2014, 01:23:59 pm »
I fitted bendix MF pads last November just to try them.
They are simply superb! Excellent feel from cold, and even worked hard on the road they haven't faded, and I do give them some stick! Had them for about 4k now, and still doing well. Worth considering if you fancy a change. I'll certainly be buying them again rather than the mainstream brands.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Brake Pads
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2014, 01:41:39 pm »
Go OEM YAMMA PADS. not cheap but mine on 17.5k and the feel and power hard to beat. I tend to drive a bit higher up the rev range and do alot of engine braking so that helps aswell.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/genuine-parts/brake-pads.aspx
« Last Edit: 16 April 2014, 02:32:59 pm by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2014, 08:57:38 am »
Not sure what pads are in mine cos they were in when I bought it but they must be a VERY soft compound in the back. You just wouldn't believe how much brake-dust I get on the back wheel each ride! They work extremely well, but I never have shiny wheels! LOL
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!