Date: 28-04-24  Time: 08:37 am

Author Topic: Magazine Feature Query  (Read 11475 times)

markysimon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CBX750
    • View Profile
Re: Magazine Feature Query
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2014, 05:06:48 pm »
Just a mo Paul, is that "Maniacs" bit just a typo then? Not to be overly suspicious, but anyone offering to help needs to make sure that this is indeed that Mark Williams and not a scammer - after all, anyone can type a few words on a forum. And apologies if you're genuine markysimon, but I'm sure you can understand, and sure if you're genuine, you'll be able to prove yourself.

Well to Nick and any other doubting Thomases (or Nicks), I dunno what I have to do to prove I am the M. Williams who started Bike (and Which Bike? and MotorCycle International and Used & Classic Bike Guide for what it's worth)  :( , but M/cycle Maniacs was not a misspelling but a longstanding, slightly affectionate and now not very funny bowdlerism of Mechanics used by all and sundry over the years. Berk, and M/cycle Spite were other, similar exaggerations also beloved of boring old hacks such as moi, and why anyone would want to try and scam your excellent forum I can't imagine.   :\

I have however now had a couple of genuine offers of help for which many thanks. Credit to the forum will, as I mentioned yesterday, appear in the resulting piece.  :)

Onwards and sideways, then – MW

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 January 2014, 05:17:53 pm »
Just a mo Paul, is that "Maniacs" bit just a typo then? Not to be overly suspicious, but anyone offering to help needs to make sure that this is indeed that Mark Williams and not a scammer - after all, anyone can type a few words on a forum. And apologies if you're genuine markysimon, but I'm sure you can understand, and sure if you're genuine, you'll be able to prove yourself.

Well to Nick and any other doubting Thomases (or Nicks), I dunno what I have to do to prove I am the M. Williams who started Bike (and Which Bike? and MotorCycle International and Used & Classic Bike Guide for what it's worth)  :( , but M/cycle Maniacs was not a misspelling but a longstanding, slightly affectionate and now not very funny bowdlerism of Mechanics used by all and sundry over the years. Berk, and M/cycle Spite were other, similar exaggerations also beloved of boring old hacks such as moi, and why anyone would want to try and scam your excellent forum I can't imagine.   :\

I have however now had a couple of genuine offers of help for which many thanks. Credit to the forum will, as I mentioned yesterday, appear in the resulting piece.  :)

oh don't start on all the Nicks  :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 January 2014, 05:23:29 pm »
Well, respect to you then sir. Personally I only use the Berk one for Performance Berks and Fast Berks - Bike was always one of the better magazines in my view, and still remember my first copy with affection. Hadn't heard the use of Maniacs  myself, so if I'm not counted among "all and sundry", I guess that must leave me in some kind of limbo  :lol

Quite right about lack of youngsters coming into motorcycling too, very sad times  ;)

Look forward to continuing to read your columns, and will especially keep an eye out for the hopefully upcoming Fazer article  :thumbup

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 January 2014, 05:35:16 pm »

Quite right about lack of youngsters coming into motorcycling too, very sad times  ;)

What the foc does that make me then?!? :O
The Deef's apprentice

codgie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - volvo 220 LS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 January 2014, 05:44:10 pm »

we are all still wondering

if it dont got an engine it aint a sport

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 19 January 2014, 06:16:00 pm »

we are all still wondering

Hmmm, yes, damned if I know...

Anyone?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 January 2014, 08:29:20 pm »
Us young uns cant seem to stay upright..

The laws of physics seem to be more certain...

We grew up with computer games....

& [/size][size=78%]dont understand how our bikes dont handle like they do in Grand Theft Auto.....[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]We are the future....[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Lord Foc help you all!!![size=78%] :b
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2014, 08:40:29 pm »
Us young uns cant seem to stay upright..

The laws of physics seem to be more certain...

We grew up with computer games....

& [/size][size=78%]dont understand how our bikes dont handle like they do in Grand Theft Auto.....[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]We are the future....[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Lord Foc help you all!!![size=78%] :b

Yeah, funny how you could have high speed head on collisions with trucks in GTA San Andreas, and ride off, bike unscathed?
The Deef's apprentice

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 January 2014, 09:03:08 pm »

Ah now that would be Christo's speciality :rollin
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 January 2014, 02:52:19 am »
you knobber
:rollin
...and I hope nobody thinks they can't insult me just because I help with the forum. That's the least important part of the club.

Still at least Mark has hung around a bit and answered questions and concerns. Many journalists post a "Give me info" thread and are never heard of again. Some members have spent time and effort writing to them only to receive no reply or acknowledgement. So fair play to Mark in that respect.

However the info. he wanted was in the FZS600 board on the first page, so I suggest that not much research was performed, and that perhaps a school magazine reporter would have done more.

And anyway, in time the Foxeye will be more of a classic than the Boxeye (oh yes it will!).

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 January 2014, 07:49:26 am »
oh no it wont........collectors are always more interested in the very early models....have a look at fizzy`s on the bay...early ones go mad but the later ones which they updated and just dont have "the look" struggle to get any bids................i am surprised theres not many of you that hav`nt heard of mark....hes be writing for many years ( sorry mark ) think hes a similar age to me so have the same memories of bikes gone by........i know i`ve plugged this before but get yourself a copy of "classic motorcyle mechanics" its a good read,not only for marks column but it has some great "how to features" for anyone who likes to do their own maintence.........

box eyes are best.....best in red.....and made in 98.....an early one....standard....not bias at all  :lol :lol :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 January 2014, 07:51:22 am »
Hi mark
If you are still reading this, please accept apologies from myself at least for the way this forum has treated what was at the outset a genuine request for help. I read Bike mag right from owning  my first bike in 1976, and well remember the contribution you guys made to ignite my passion for motorbikes which I still have today. I never rode FZS600s, have owned and ridden FZS1000s since 2001. Along the way I have met various journos, contributed to info gathering etc, and always did whatever I could to help.
IF you ever do a piece on the FZS1000, I can assure you of much better attention !
Best wishes for your article.

regards
Jon Pitt

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 January 2014, 10:50:15 am »
oh no it wont........collectors are always more interested in the very early models....have a look at fizzy`s on the bay...early ones go mad but the later ones which they updated and just dont have "the look" struggle to get any bids................i am surprised theres not many of you that hav`nt heard of mark....hes be writing for many years ( sorry mark ) think hes a similar age to me so have the same memories of bikes gone by........i know i`ve plugged this before but get yourself a copy of "classic motorcyle mechanics" its a good read,not only for marks column but it has some great "how to features" for anyone who likes to do their own maintence.........

box eyes are best.....best in red.....and made in 98.....an early one....standard....not bias at all  :lol :lol :lol

You can't make the same comparison with the fz1es. The new one was a nostalgic relaunch of the original  and like the Raleigh chopper was a cock up.  The foxeye on  the otherhand is a natural progression, improving from original which is this case paid off. Unlike the raleigh grifter 2  imo :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 January 2014, 10:54:28 am »
yeh...ok...good point...i also have a very early 1975 honda 400/4 supersport f1,registered in the same month as they were launched,its details like this that attracts collectors and pushes up the price  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 January 2014, 10:58:15 am »
yeh...ok...good point...i also have a very early 1975 honda 400/4 supersport f1,registered in the same month as they were launched,its details like this that attracts collectors and pushes up the price  ;)  ...and DUST!!! ;) ...shame its not ...a BRITISH CLASSIC"..hey paul?? :b :b :b :b

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 January 2014, 01:11:40 pm »
FWIW I have a bank of knowledge in my head about the bolt on / additions that have been available for the FZS600.  The old site had a comprehensive list, some still survives in the FZS600 part of this forum. 

As you were asking for a std one it may not be relevant but if there are questions then give a shout.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 January 2014, 03:08:39 pm »
He's changed his mind and now doing article on the zxr400

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20 January 2014, 04:47:29 pm »
That's fine since Christo only has a ZX400 mwuahaha

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 January 2014, 05:02:36 pm »
Dang!! Proves point about taking time to research. I checked back on the fck fck post and got down to zxr ref :/  didn't think :rolleyes it sounded right

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20 January 2014, 05:32:10 pm »
Also helps to have an oddly specific memory... I can remember data (usually no matter how obscure it is) but I can't remember tasks.

So I could tell you a detailed summary of the weather over the next few days... but I won't remember to take an umbrella with me if its due to rain...

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 20 January 2014, 05:38:16 pm »
Also helps to have an oddly specific memory... I can remember data (usually no matter how obscure it is) but I can't remember tasks.

So I could tell you a detailed summary of the weather over the next few days... but I won't remember to take an umbrella with me if its due to rain...
Bit pointless then

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 January 2014, 05:48:13 pm »
yeh...ok...good point...i also have a very early 1975 honda 400/4 supersport f1,registered in the same month as they were launched,its details like this that attracts collectors and pushes up the price  ;)  ...and DUST!!! ;) ...shame its not ...a BRITISH CLASSIC"..hey paul?? :b :b :b :b 

yeh...yeh...yeh......iam from the south so cant afford a british classic...dos`nt stop me looking though  :rolleyes [size=78%]....one day.....one day[/size]

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 21 January 2014, 12:30:12 am »
Dang!! Proves point about taking time to research. I checked back on the fck fck post and got down to zxr ref :/  didn't think :rolleyes it sounded right

You tossers are both wrong, It's a ZX4, frame ID ZX400G (the g's important). :lol
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 21 January 2014, 10:32:00 am »
Considering the Frame ID, I wasn't that far off!

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 January 2014, 10:33:45 am »
Considering the Frame ID, I wasn't that far off!

Oh, so you have a ZS1000? Or is it a FZ100? :P
The Deef's apprentice