Date: 30-04-24  Time: 21:13 pm

Author Topic: Rear Shock (Again)  (Read 1561 times)

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rear Shock (Again)
« on: 02 March 2014, 06:56:14 pm »
Yes I know there have been numerous threads about different rear shock absorbers on the boxeye and I have used the search function but I have decided to post another anyways.

What have people got fitted ?

By checking Ebay I have found, 'Hagon' , 'Nitron', 'YSS', 'Wilbers' , 'Ohlins' and 'Hyperpro'.

The Ohlins is out of the question due to price. The rest of them can be had for between £300 - £370 which is still too expensive but at some point I need to bite the bullet. I am also aware that modifying a Gen1 1000 shock is possible but I don't intend to go down this route or infact modifying anything to fit.

By using the search function it would seem that the Nitron has respectful reviews but I don't want a turquoise spring and a black spring is a futher £10.

Side Issue: Why did they decide on turquoise being their default spring colour ? What bike does this actually suit ?

I am leaning towards the Hyperpro but just wanted to see what you guys think first  :)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Shock (Again)
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2014, 08:19:57 pm »
I had a Hagon on my T'cat which was noticeably better than standard, if you're not going to be pushing it on a track then this will be fine for you.
I've just purchased a Nitron for my foxeye as I intend on doing more trackdays, however when I came to fit it yesterday they'd sent the wrong top bushes (40mm as opposed to the fazers 35mm) which is annoying and I shall be ringing them tomorrow,  so until it's fitted I can't comment on the quality, as for the spring colour I'll wrap the whole shock in a cut up inner tube to protect it so that don't matter to me!
Some say...

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2014, 09:16:24 pm »
Yes I know there have been numerous threads about different rear shock absorbers on the boxeye and I have used the search function but I have decided to post another anyways.

What have people got fitted ?

By checking Ebay I have found, 'Hagon' , 'Nitron', 'YSS', 'Wilbers' , 'Ohlins' and 'Hyperpro'.

The Ohlins is out of the question due to price. The rest of them can be had for between £300 - £370 which is still too expensive but at some point I need to bite the bullet. I am also aware that modifying a Gen1 1000 shock is possible but I don't intend to go down this route or infact modifying anything to fit.

By using the search function it would seem that the Nitron has respectful reviews but I don't want a turquoise spring and a black spring is a futher £10.

Side Issue: Why did they decide on turquoise being their default spring colour ? What bike does this actually suit ?

I am leaning towards the Hyperpro but just wanted to see what you guys think first  :)

Nitrons are very, very good shocks, even if a black spring is an extra tenner. But to be fair, 10 compared to the total shocks price isn't exactly that ridiculous, and the quality of them is excellent, even on the basic road model!

I'd check the hyper pro is a linear spring (I know they do progressive fork springs) - I prefer being able to set my bike up to handle properly rather than having a slightly softer bouncy ride!

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2014, 11:22:07 am »
My genII is sporting a Nitron, the baby blue is a bit shocking but Im used to it now.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2014, 05:18:24 pm »
Edit on my sizes mentioned above, they were sort of right sending bushes for 40mm for our fzs600, however, what they did send is ever so slightly wider than the standard shock (possibly  .5mm both sides) this coupled with me fitting the fazer thou shock at 35mm previously has possibly squeezed the bracket in ever so slightly making it difficult to fit the new one.
The guys at nitron have been great so far and are machining me new bushes tomorrow and sending them out!
Some say...