Date: 20-05-24  Time: 04:21 am

Author Topic: RAM Mounts  (Read 2688 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
RAM Mounts
« on: 26 January 2013, 05:50:01 pm »
Hey guys,

Anyone on here got a RAM satnav setup on their FZS 1000? I'm lookin at getting one myself for it so I can use my phone as a satnav, but wasn't sure what mounting type and arm length combo to go for?

Ta

Joe

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: RAM Mounts
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2013, 08:04:45 pm »
Tried a few from Ultimate-Addons range
http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/mobile-phones/htc/htc-desire-accessories/motorcycle-bicycle-holders/bike-mount-holder___309.htm
Just pick the mount and case style you require and off you go..
On my thou Im using a stem mount currently.. replaces one of the four stem mount bolts with a longer one with a 1" ball mount on the end.. mounts great and doesnt interfere with the clocks and keeps it nice and central.. theres bar clamp mounts and tank mounts too

Budgie

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2013, 09:33:45 pm »
+1 for ultimate addons.

If you have a samsung s3 or an iphone they do a tough case. They also do zip case type ones in different sizes, my phone wasnt listed so i got a case for a similar sized phone. They arent completely waterproof but its behind fairing and I'll put a bag over it if its gettin really wet. They also have a couple of mounting options and bundles.

I looked at the ram stuff but i wouldnt have trusted the connecting arms and probably over tightened it till it broke. I think you also have to drill the holes for charge leads in the ram boxes but you'd have to check that.
thou shalt not kick

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2013, 03:52:19 am »
Looks good that stuff, found the S3 case so asked a seller on ebay for a price for the case, a handlebar M8 mount and a connecting arm to link the two together - should be just what I'm after once I know how long I need the arm to be!

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2013, 08:53:53 am »
I think the direct supplier for ultimate addons on ebay is gps for less. I got the ubolt fitting straight into the back of the case to minimise the joints, i would have preferred the stem mount but my bars were in the way. The tough cases they do look ace, wish they did them for my phone.
thou shalt not kick

fazermike

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Indian scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2013, 10:49:57 am »
Hi
I'm a total noob with anything satnav related but was wondering if they supply charging kits with the garmin and TomTom kits for bikes and can you fit car satnavs to bikes as all the bike ones are very expensive!
Thanks

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2013, 11:09:11 am »
Hi
I'm a total noob with anything satnav related but was wondering if they supply charging kits with the garmin and TomTom kits for bikes and can you fit car satnavs to bikes as all the bike ones are very expensive!
Thanks

You use a car one, you need to fit a socket to the bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=12v+motorcycle+socket&_sacat=0&_from=R40

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2013, 11:19:13 am »

fazermike

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Indian scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2013, 08:02:53 pm »
Hi
Thanks

You use a car one, you need to fit a socket to the bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=12v+motorcycle+socket&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Thanks Karlo  :thumbup

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2013, 11:22:19 pm »
I've got a ball mount that I used with my old GPS5, which still works :-)
does a good job of holding on without slipping.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2013, 11:23:23 pm »
p.s it's a Ram mount

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2013, 11:35:33 am »
+1 for ultimate addons.

If you have a samsung s3 or an iphone they do a tough case. They also do zip case type ones in different sizes, my phone wasnt listed so i got a case for a similar sized phone. They arent completely waterproof but its behind fairing and I'll put a bag over it if its gettin really wet. They also have a couple of mounting options and bundles.

I looked at the ram stuff but i wouldnt have trusted the connecting arms and probably over tightened it till it broke. I think you also have to drill the holes for charge leads in the ram boxes but you'd have to check that.

-1 for Ultimate Addons!

May be OK in a car, but the one I got for a tom tom rider was way too flimsy for proper bike use & the power cable fell apart within weeks too!

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2013, 12:24:47 pm »
Its definately cheaper in the long run if you go for a case mount and bike mointed charging sytem all together..
I didnt and ended up getting the bike charger seperatelu.. About £18.00 on its oen for the galaxy s2 one iirc.. No drilling required and they plug straighy into the hardcase for charging the phone too. They also have waterproof covers for when not in use..

Budgie

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2