Date: 01-05-24  Time: 04:06 am

Author Topic: HID conversion  (Read 4567 times)

gregwillclark

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: HID conversion
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2014, 02:41:23 pm »
I don't see a problem really.

Interesting article here:

http://www.kwecars.com/high-intensity-headlamps-hid-and-the-mot/#.VBg9i_ldX-U

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2014, 07:08:10 pm »
Interesting if you own a car and it's a classic

Loads of interesting articles out there, 000s on HID probably. But what actually counts is the DVSA (not VOSA  ;)) regs, how MoT centres enforce it, what traffic police deploy in terms of policy, and.. a bit of luck if you get stopped or an old woman gets dazzled and drives into you
« Last Edit: 16 September 2014, 07:09:24 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

phonesurgeon

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2014, 09:22:14 am »
Finally got a chance to check out my new night breakers bulbs. A whole lot difference I can actually see the road now. But I reckon it could be better still. Perhaps some auxiliary light down below the sides.
I don't have anything witty or funny to say. For an update check back in 2025

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2014, 01:15:20 pm »
Ditto!

I use nightbreaker unlimited, 55W each, and the all important LUMENS which is the useable light, is around 1650 lumens. The 35W HID bulbs draw less current but put out over 3000 lumens so twice as much. So yeah, the HID is better but two osrams putting out 3000 lumens together is just as good as a single HID which I've seen these newer bikes running on. Of course, before foccers jumpo in with the science, I'm generalising here and there are variables which affect both solutions, but IN GENERAl, the lumens from two osrams is the same as one HID albeit the color temp is around 3500K on the osram compared to about 6-8K on the HID, so a bit more "yellow" osram light but still quite acceptable and way better than stock haolgen.

All in all, not a bad trade off and save silly money on a HID conversion
Three lefts make a right

gregwillclark

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2014, 02:12:07 pm »
Sat in start/stop traffic late last night for around 20mins behind a traffic police car, he did not seem to care my bike was running HIDs even when I purposely accelerated a bit hard to raise the beam. In all honesty I struggled to get it above his rear number plate, so i'm sure the issue with 'dazzling some old dear' is a bit of a myth.....

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 September 2014, 02:49:29 pm »
It's no myth, just depends on which cop sees it, and if he knows about the HID rules and regs. Its similar to how many cops pull bikers with loud exhausts to check if they're stamped up? Not many I can tell you!
Looks like you got lucky with this one that either doesn't care they're HID, or just doesn't know.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 September 2014, 02:50:59 pm »
It's no myth, just depends on which cop sees it, and if he knows about the HID rules and regs. Its similar to how many cops pull bikers with loud exhausts to check if they're stamped up? Not many I can tell you!
Looks like you got lucky with this one that either doesn't care they're HID, or just doesn't know.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 September 2014, 02:57:02 pm »
agree wit Stevie.

I normally rideout with between 3-6 pals. Each of us has our own story. Some been pulled with HID every time they go out. Some never. Some with a loud can, some never. Some just because they're on a bike get a pull for a routine stop-n-check "did you know your light is out governor!". Some cops are great , others are wankers. Its all down to luck. Others on here will have their own story, successes and sobs.

Only sure way is to keep that old stock headlight unit and bulbs, just in case, and otherwise trump up the cash for HID, ride and enjoy. I can't be arsed with it all and two nightbreaker unlimited is more than fine.
Three lefts make a right

phonesurgeon

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 September 2014, 07:14:05 pm »
Bear in mind that I haven't shelled out for my HID. They were kindly donated from a mate who's given up biking. I had to buy the night breaker (unlimited) and so far so good. I may attempt the projector route... When I get a bit of time
I don't have anything witty or funny to say. For an update check back in 2025

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 September 2014, 07:57:55 pm »
A kind mate indeed  :thumbup
Three lefts make a right

gregwillclark

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 September 2014, 08:59:56 am »
Same for me, I would never have purchased them, I had them as a bonus from ebay when I purchased a spare front fairing that turned up with the lights included  :D