Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:37 am

Author Topic: Exup adjustment  (Read 1108 times)

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup adjustment
« on: 05 November 2022, 08:14:58 am »
Hi, im getting occasional 7k fault code on start up, which seems to go when riding.
Only recently fitted replacement valve which was missing when bought bike, pulley cables and servo all original.

I've checked and adjusted cables on fitting new valve, valve rotates freely and well lubed.

Followed Pats guide to setup.

What I have noticed is even though I align pulley at 9 o'clock position and set cables to 1.5mm slack, with ignition back to on after a run the pulley does not return to 9 o'clock position.
See pic, it's not far off though.
With engine running it moves to 10 o'clock position and as I increase revs to 4k it start to move clockwise.

It seems to be working sort of OK.

Could it be the cables are not adjusted correctly...not enough slack?
Servo not working correctly?

I was thinking if I disconnected top cable and tried ignition on and see if it resets to 9 o'clock position, thus seeing if top cable was preventing bottom cable from rotating valve to full reset position?

Any thoughts much appreciated

Cheers

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Exup adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2022, 09:43:00 am »
A few things to consider. :)

First, not enough evidence of copper grease in the picture.  Bolts, pulley, cable ends - the whole lot should be coated in the stuff. :)  Same applies inside the valve, especially on the spindles.

Looks to me like your cable slack is incorrect.  Removing the top cable isn't the way to check this, though.

With the ignition OFF, rotate the valve clockwise until it hits the stop.  You can do this with an 8mm socket on the pulley bolt.  Turn the ignition ON and the fork on the pulley should return to centre directly over the hole in the end plate. 

It it's not centred, slacken both cables, re-align the fork and then set 1.5 mm slack on each cable.  Pin the pulley in place when you do this.

Repeat the test above until you have the pulley returning to the correct position every time. 

Should this not cure the problem, the valve spindles might be binding slightly in the bushes.  This could be due to inadequate lube, slight corrosion on the spindles or possibly even the spindles being slightly out of true.  The valve can bend and that is sometimes enough to affect spindle alignment.  It's fixable, though. :) 

For reference, with the pulley removed, you should be able to flip-flop the valve open/closed between thumb and forefinger with virtually zero effort.  It only takes a little bit of resistance to cause the 7k fault code to trigger.
« Last Edit: 05 November 2022, 09:47:08 am by Falcon 269 »

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2022, 11:58:04 am »
Thanks Falcon 269 great advice will give it a go.

Just to say the replacement valve and bushings I got were cleaned, any corrosion removed, and the whole assembly including pulley etc were smothered in loads of Bostik Never-Seez, its a really high temp nickel lube we use on aircraft engines.

It's grey in colour so dosent show up that we'll in pic but if you look closely its everywhere!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2022, 03:02:01 pm »
Yes, on closer look I can see it.  Nice one. :)

I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2022, 01:40:28 pm »
So with pulley removed can't quite turn it with fingers between 9 and 10 o'clock position. Once past 10 I can flip it full open no bother.
Same when going from full open to close.

Stripped the whole thing down and cleaned and regreased with copper this time.
It's better but still a little tight to turn initially with fingers.

Put it all back together and it now resets to 9 o'clock position on switching ignition on. Cable tension seems good.

Guess I'll just have to see how it goes  :rolleyes

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2022, 03:25:01 pm »
If it's snagging at a certain point, suggests the valve is very slightly bent.

You can check by laying a straight edge along the back of the valve and measuring/eyeballing if the spindles are parallel. 

Or spin the valve on V-blocks to see if the rotation is eccentric.

Heat the body of the valve and gently bend to straighten it out.

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2022, 04:03:02 pm »
its not far out going by pic, it wont be that thats giving the 7k. As Falcon says its not rotating free enough

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2022, 11:49:48 am »
Another good way to check if the valve is bent is to put it in a drill (preferably a bench drill/press but any drill will do). Spin it up at a slow speed and you will immediately see if it is slightly out of true.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Zundap

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2022, 03:43:17 pm »
Some great tips there to check the valve.

Just been out for a run after reassembling it all and goes great with no 7k code.

I'll wait till it binds up again before I pull it apart again.
Fingers crossed relubing it will be enough to keep it going for a while 🤞