Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:18 am

Author Topic: Fork help  (Read 1039 times)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fork help
« on: 19 October 2022, 05:17:58 pm »
I’m changing the fork oil following the Haynes manual.

It says to take note on the distance between the damper locknut and the top of the threaded damper rod. I measured it at 15mm.
I remember the guy who changed the fork oil last time commented that he didn’t know what this measurement was and had to Google it to find out.
I wondered if anyone knows if this is set correctly?

Thanks!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Fork help
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2022, 09:34:55 pm »
Gnasher might be the person to ask.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2022, 11:47:53 am »
There is a fork overhaul procedure in the pinned posts at the top of the forum ....."common maintenance tasks".

No need to measure it if you follow the stated procedure:

"40...wind the rebound adjuster screw out all the way, then back in again by 42 clicks. [/size]Fit the fork cap and wind it down as far as it will go on the damper rod. Then back-off the lock nut up the damper rod until it tightens/locks against the top cap."
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2022, 12:08:40 pm »
I was suitably embarrassed by that until I clicked on the link and got an error saying Error You aren't allowed to modify just any post.
All other links work!
Found it anyway by using search which is what I should have done in the first place! :o :o

[Edited to fix the tiny font problem: GrahamM - Moderator]
« Last Edit: 21 October 2022, 05:01:08 pm by Grahamm »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2022, 01:33:51 pm »
The adjuster has over 40 clicks but only 21 are used in setting the rebound with the forks assembled.The important point is that all 21 are available when the forks are reassembled.If you use the 12-18mm measurement the damper rod holder nut may not be tight against the spacer. Do not over tighten the nut as it can warp the spacer tube, it just needs to over finger tight.
From my experience of doing a number of forks, the option I found best was to wind the adjuster in full, now wind it out full counting the clicks.Then wind the adjuster back in exactly half way and reassemble the forks. The last set of forks I did  had 42 clicks total from full in to full out on both sides.This method ensures you have sufficient clicks to se the forks up properly.
Treat both adjusters as individuals,  I have come across some with 2 clicks more on less on one side.When the forks are assembled wind the adjuster in full and work back from their to get your required setting.

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2022, 08:55:13 pm »
Sorry, would have responded sooner but other things have got in the way!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Forks are back together and ready to be refitted to the bike.

Thanks again.