Date: 01-05-24  Time: 01:21 am

Author Topic: what now  (Read 1397 times)

tootler

• Cager in Training
  • live fast,die young,sorry,that ship has sailed
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - none
    • View Profile
what now
« on: 12 September 2012, 09:51:00 pm »
sadly i have got into a situation that i have to sell my bike,advertised it and got a few peeps came and seen it and liked it,one of the guys phoned me today to say it was a catagory c write off,i was gutted,i was not told this from the seller,am i insured,can i sell it,is it safe,were do i stand with this lemon,suppose i was stupid,but i feel robbed ,and cheated,the bike is 2003 and written off in 2004,will my insurance company cover it,it passed mot in may this year,any comments welcome,thanks tootler
tootler

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: what now
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2012, 06:45:34 am »
cat c is just light damage,usually paint and plastics,it should state this on your log book,previous owner should have mentioned this to you at point of sale  :rolleyes  have you had the bike long  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2012, 01:08:43 pm »
Cat C has a "potential" for frame damage, so beware.

Did you buy privately, or from a dealer?

If its passed the MoT, and there's a V5, I would assume it was OK - if it was seriously damaged, DVLA wouldn't issue papers for it usually.

As an aside, "write-off" doesn't necessarily mean serious damage - it just means it isn't in the insurers interest to effect repairs (mostly because it cheaper to replace the bike).

A seller doesn't necessarily have to tell you it's a write-off, its up to you to ask in which case s/he must be honest.

More info here:http://www.motorbikehistorycheck.co.uk/writeoffcategories.htm

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2012, 02:52:45 pm »
I've had a few, normally the fairings and original exhaust can prices write them off.

Just means it's worth a bit less if it rides OK. Some won't insure them, so be careful and there is NOT anything on the V5 showing this - at least not in plain english, possibly the validation character indicates this though, I am not sure.

tootler

• Cager in Training
  • live fast,die young,sorry,that ship has sailed
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2012, 07:08:09 am »
thank you for the comments,i have the bike 2 months,i phoned my insurance and they are happy with it,i reposted my ads with the proper info and lost half of what i paid for it as i need yo buy a work van asap,sorry to lose,i would definately buy another fazer,super bike,i bought the bike of a fellow member gaz 73,he claimed to know nothing about all this,this may be true,i have learned alot,for 3 quid key reg into bikesure and i got the info that would have saved me money and stress,thanks for your help i will still look in and hoefully fet another fazer soon,tootler,  by the way he tried to sell it on this forum back in may in your for sale section
tootler