Date: 30-04-24  Time: 16:37 pm

Author Topic: Amazon Instant Video  (Read 1912 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Amazon Instant Video
« on: 31 July 2014, 11:01:21 pm »
Anyone use this? I tried last night, and tonight (get it free with Prime, cos I focced up and forgot to cancel it before the free trial ended  :lol ), and TBH, its unwatchable. So glitchy, stuttering playback, I'm lucky if it plays 10 seconds before buffering again. Ran a broadband speed checker, getting 31Mb/s down load speed so not exactly sluggish, the TV is hardwired into the router - anyone got any ideas where I should look to resolve it??

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Instant Video
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2014, 12:20:59 am »
I have Prime and I've used their Instant Video service before, albeit not extensively and so far I haven't had any issues :)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2014, 01:51:20 pm »
What device are you using to watch it?

When you get buffering it's usually either the network or the CPU on the device.

Your network sounds fine, 31Mbit/sec should be fine for most purposes so long as it's consistently good.

A further test of the net connection would be to run a ping test and watch to see if it drops any packets.

On Windows 7, go to Start menu and type 'cmd' in to the search box. This will launch a DOS window.

Type 'ping www.bbc.co.uk -t' and press return.

It'll send a small signal once a second to the site specified and wait for it to be echoed back. Watch it and if it's consistently reliable then your net is good, if at times it pauses and says 'timed out' or similar there is packet poss. A very small amount is okay but any more suggests network problem which could be at the site, the ISP or your end.

But presuming it's all good then sometimes the device can struggle to have enough CPU to decode higher quality streams fast enough to watch them. It sounds like you're using a smart TV of some sort, I don't have much experience with those but you would have thought they would be designed for the job. But I'd try it out on another device if you have one, desktop PC or laptop and see how it plays.

Andy

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2014, 04:34:49 pm »
Cheers Andy, I'm using a (brand new) Sony smart TV, which had the Amazon app preinstalled.

Will try the other suggestions...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2014, 05:10:18 pm »
And easier way to determine the quality of your line would be to use www.pingtest.net ( which is the sister site to www.speedtest.net )

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2014, 09:07:21 pm »
nowt wrong pinging the Beeb... java out of date on lappy, cant be chewed to update right now, so pingtest site wont work right now!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2014, 09:27:38 pm »
I player working fine on the telly, so surmise it's an Amazon issue...

kawasutra

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2014, 09:44:34 pm »
I player working fine on the telly, so surmise it's an Amazon issue...

Could possibly be  your intertubes provider uses traffic shaping....allowing some stuff to come down full speed and throttling down others.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2014, 10:21:16 pm »
Aye, had wondered about that, I'm with Virgin media, so there's potential for them to throttle Amazon instant video...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2014, 09:25:10 am »
Virgin do have a  Traffic Management policy ( http://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html ) but I don't believe they use Traffic Shaping. I've been a Virgin customer for years and haven't personally had any issues relating to streaming media or P2P traffic

If iPlayer is fine, I'd be tempted to point the finger back to Amazon rather than Virgin

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2014, 10:22:59 am »
If I use the Iplayer app on my tv it always buffers but if I then go on to Iplayer via the Internet on the tv it works perfectly.  Maybe something similar is happening to you.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2014, 10:46:54 am »
That's interesting Mickey, I'll give that a try (assuming that you can get Amazon instant video without going through the app)