Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:33 am

Author Topic: Surface Dressing (otherwise known as chippings on the road trying to kill you)  (Read 2951 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I wonder.... Got to be worth a shot, to be rid of them?

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67408

woodwizzard

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
One of my pet hates, they do it around here every year. They used to do long sections at one time, which if nothing else, made it predictable. But now they just do random sections dotted all over the place. Just when you think you are clear and speed up, they have laid another 10 yard strip around the next corner. Always seems to be in the summer aaswell :thumbdown

JC

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
I hate it when they do this...
Signed and shared on facebook

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
I like it,  it gives me a chance to practice my skid control and flicks gooey tar covered stones at everyone behind me.  :evil

Bigfellabuck

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - XJ600 Diversion 97
    • View Profile
Signed by me too :)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
I wonder who would be responsible for any accidents caused by the loose road surface, would it just be you should ride /drive to the conditions or could you claim the main factor in the accident was due to dangerous state that the road was left in?

peterjca

Signed.

This has become a joke. Usually at the end of the financial year, councils are desperate to spend money. The roads round Woking (Surrey) have been getting this treatment for years. Lo and behold, the road gets even more pot-holed as the flimsy treatment gets worn away.

The road I live on, with a mere 24 hours notice got "done" last year and two years before then. There was no need for it to happen the first time and nor the last time. Drains were brimming with loose chippings. Each time, this resurfacing happened at the height of summer, so the less than 24 hrs notice to park cars elsewhere were rightly ignored.

Some of the manhole covers are now at least a centimeter or more beneath this "surface" so traffic noise has increased and some folks are reporting their houses shuddering when large lorries and buses thunder over the sunken manhole covers.

It's all an f-ing pathetic waste of money.

Repair/resurface roads properly FFS!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Signed,

Just remember to check your email and verify your address otherwise your signature doesn't count.
Just been told by my wife who runs campaigns for a living.

Though I'm sure you guys have already done this...  ;)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Though I'm sure you guys have already done this...  ;)

Certain'y have  :angel

Its a good point though, thanks...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Just signed and shared with all the bike groups I use. Tar and Chip is not just a nuisance for bikes, it's downright dangerous.

What's also annoying is when they put up those "10mph Skid Risk" signs and then leave the damn things there for six months, so even when the chips are gone, you've got no idea whether the road is safe to ride on :(

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Signed also.
Cant see the point of this highly dangerous practice,resulting in claims for damage,blocked drains & flooded roads. Most of the gravel ends up in the gutters-what a total stupid waste of time & manpower. As for the 10mph signs-how many cagers slow to 30/40mph let alone 10!

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Signed and email confirmed.

Dunky

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Signed
" Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow. "

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
ever thought what condition the endless miles of rural roads we love so much would be in without this stuff?