Date: 20-05-24  Time: 09:54 am

Author Topic: Something strange happening at tick over  (Read 2437 times)

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Something strange happening at tick over
« on: 24 March 2014, 02:44:08 am »
So I sorted my problem with the speedo and changed my oil and filter. Took the bike for a blast today and all going well. I stopped for 5 to text a mate and as I was stopped the revs occasionally would drop from 1000 down to 500ish stay there a little then go back up. It was doing this on and off. I've never noticed it before do you think it could be something simple like plugs? Or I've seen a lot of you guys talking about the TPS, could he related?

I took a video on my phone so if it'll help could post a link and upload it to YouTube.

Cheers.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Something strange happening at tick over
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2014, 06:07:36 am »
After the bike is warmed up properly i would adjust the idle a bit higher for starters, around the 1250 mark.
Is your air filter due to be changed at all, at too low revs and a partially blocked air filter it could cause it to struggle a bit?

As i've found out twice now, the TPS tends to misbehave first rather than just stop working, but there's a quick check you can do.

With the key turned on (not the engine), unplug the TPS, which is the black wired gadget on the right side of the carbs.
On the rev counter the needle should alternate between 3000rpm and 0rpm, back and forth, indicating that the TPS has an issue, in this case it means it's obviously unplugged.

Then plug it back in.

If it stays on the 3000rpm mark then you have a dead TPS. (it won't in your case, because it would've shown you beforehand if it was totally knackered)

A correct reading will show you 5000rpm which means it's all good.

If it stays on 0rpm or shoots up to 10,000rpm then it needs to be adjusted back to 5000rpm.

If it goes to 10,000rpm, start the engine so the needle goes back to the tickover point, unless you are ready to adjust the TPS.
If you turn the key off at 10,000rpm the needle will drop to the right, then you'll have to take the clocks apart to manually push the needle back round to 0rpm, so your 1 minute check will turn into 15 or 20 minutes.
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8392.msg82561.html#msg82561

To adjust the TPS you'll need a security T25 torx key, the one with a hole in the middle.
When you're ready and done the above procedure just slacken the 2 security screws holding the TPS on and pivot the TPS left or right until the needle lands as near as possible on the 5000rpm mark then tighten up the screws.  That's it, job done.  :)

It's a very quick procedure once you've tried it, but i still think your idle is too low anyway so deal with that first, but only raise it when the bike is up to temperature otherwise you'll over do it.

Hope this helps.  ;) 
« Last Edit: 24 March 2014, 06:10:18 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2014, 08:29:20 pm »
Balanced the carbs at all?
Some say...

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2014, 10:31:58 pm »
Cheers Darrsi, I think the idle May have been a little low. I'll check it tomorrow after my ride to work an see how it goes. I'll try the TPS test on the weekend, didn't realise it would actually tell me if it needed adjusting.

Punkstig, I havnt touched the carbs since I've had the bike which is coming up to 2 years, it's on my forever growing to do list.

Here's a link to the video, not sure if it will help at all - http://youtu.be/DUGkdKmWXjc . I know the cam chains ticking before anyone mentions it (it's on my to do list :) )

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2014, 10:48:18 pm »
Oooohhh, that sounds ropey!  :o
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2014, 11:28:03 pm »
When it drops down is it still running on four cylinders? Does it splutter and hesitate when you're riding at low revs or pulling away or is it just at idle?

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2014, 11:36:45 pm »
I'm not really sure if it's on all cylinders to be honest, how can I check? There's no problem while I'm riding just seems to be tick over.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2014, 11:47:25 pm »
Leave it spluttering for a while and throw some water on the headers. Keep an eye on how quickly they dry. If one cylinder has a problem that header will dry slower than the rest.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2014, 11:04:49 pm »
So on the ride to work today bike was nice and warm left it ticking over when I got there and no problem. Strange one I did increase my idle a little though. Maybe it was too low I guess. I think the carbs could do with balancing though but havnt got the money to get a carbtune. I wish there was somewhere to rent tools and post them back or something, hey ho.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2014, 01:21:57 am »
So on the ride to work today bike was nice and warm left it ticking over when I got there and no problem. Strange one I did increase my idle a little though. Maybe it was too low I guess. I think the carbs could do with balancing though but havnt got the money to get a carbtune. I wish there was somewhere to rent tools and post them back or something, hey ho.

Where abouts in the country are you mate?

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2014, 11:02:55 am »
South Wales just outside Cardiff.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2014, 11:14:52 am »
I'm happy to head on over and help you with balancing if you want :) I have a Carbtune sitting at home (Bristol) and plenty of tools

I'm away at the moment in London, but should be back after the weekend

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2014, 12:07:23 pm »
What a legend! I might take you up on that offer Deadeye. Got a busy few weeks coming up though so gonna be a difficult one. I'll be in touch though  :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 March 2014, 05:06:59 pm »
Just send me a PM when you get some spare time and I'll let you know if I can make it - I'm usually fairly flexible with work and always happy to help a fellow foccer