Date: 28-05-24  Time: 06:53 am

Author Topic: What do you reckon to these springs?  (Read 2769 times)

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
What do you reckon to these springs?
« on: 07 December 2016, 04:07:34 pm »
Afternoon all,

My work have kindly given me some tokens that i can use at my local bike parts store  :D [size=78%] (Laguna Motorcycles).  I am after some progressive springs so I rang them up and they said they have the below in stock:[/size]

http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/road/Yamaha/1057_fzs-600-fazer-00-03/2003/categories/suspension-and-handling/hyperpro-shocks--springs/SP-YA06-SSA004

Has anyone had any experience with this brand? 

I think they would also order in pretty much anything i ask for, so what is generally regarded as the best?

[/size]Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: What do you reckon to these springs?
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2016, 07:00:11 pm »
Hyperpro have a pretty good rep but not exactly the cheapest  :( Wirth springs on ebay £40 cheaper, tho you'd need to buy fork oil too. From memory Hagon springs are also cheap-ish

They're all much over muchness as progressives are meant to be a one size fits all (or more precisely, a spring rate that suits everyone)

Progressive springs would do you  fine as long as you also change the fork oil to 15w.

Personally I prefer linear springs suited to your exact weight along with cartridge emulators, but obviously more £££

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2016, 08:53:06 pm »
I've got Hagons  :thumbup

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2016, 02:18:50 pm »
Hyperpro have a pretty good rep but not exactly the cheapest  :( Wirth springs on ebay £40 cheaper, tho you'd need to buy fork oil too. From memory Hagon springs are also cheap-ish

They're all much over muchness as progressives are meant to be a one size fits all (or more precisely, a spring rate that suits everyone)

Progressive springs would do you  fine as long as you also change the fork oil to 15w.

Personally I prefer linear springs suited to your exact weight along with cartridge emulators, but obviously more £££

Thanks guys much appreciated!

Bimbam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2016, 09:25:40 pm »
Got Hyperpro and they made the bike a lot better. 10-30 euro more? i dont mind.
Dont try to be the best in town, just be the best, until the best come arround

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2016, 10:08:06 pm »
Afternoon all,

My work have kindly given me some tokens that i can use at my local bike parts store  :D (Laguna Motorcycles).  I am after some progressive springs so I rang them up and they said they have the below in stock:

http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/road/Yamaha/1057_fzs-600-fazer-00-03/2003/categories/suspension-and-handling/hyperpro-shocks--springs/SP-YA06-SSA004

Has anyone had any experience with this brand? 

I think they would also order in pretty much anything i ask for, so what is generally regarded as the best?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Hi JBizzle,
Lots of posts and opinions on this forum do a search around and see what you come up with.
It seems Progressive springs float some folks boat, while others prefer Linear springs.
I am just going through this process of upgrading front and rear suspension myself.

Do a search on front forks or fork springs and see what you come up with.

There are folks on this forum that know a lot about front forks and others that know a lot about rear shockers, and, the options available.

Keep us up to date with your progress.

I have been helped greatly choosing the direction for me to go with my upgrades. 
« Last Edit: 11 December 2016, 10:11:14 pm by tommyardin »

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2016, 04:58:47 pm »
Progressive springs are a bit of a compromise - they might make the bike feel a bit more comfy over bumps but they won't give proper control in the same manner that a set of weight matched linear springs will. Depends on your riding style, but if you ride the bike more for enjoyment I would definitely suggest a set of linears.

Jbizzle

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 December 2016, 11:52:30 am »
Progressive springs are a bit of a compromise - they might make the bike feel a bit more comfy over bumps but they won't give proper control in the same manner that a set of weight matched linear springs will. Depends on your riding style, but if you ride the bike more for enjoyment I would definitely suggest a set of linears.

Thanks JoeRock,

I have been having a good look round the site and there is loads to learn on this.

All i really want is to kill the front end dive when you throw on the anchors at speed.  But at the same time i like to do a bit of touring in the summer so it would be good to not have it set up to stiff that it becomes jarring on a long cruise.

Progressives seemed the natural choice, but do you reckon they would actually do much to stop the front end dive?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 December 2016, 06:42:56 pm »
The front dive you speak of is down to the standard front springs. Although they are dual rate the problem is that the softest rate of the spring is way too soft (and indeed the proportion of the spring it takes up is way too long) and conversely the harder part of the spring is too hard.  Combined together, the front spring characteristics are meant to be designed suit every rider but in reality they leave almost no-one happy with them.
Aftermarket springs, of any sort will almost certainly be an improvement over the standard ones. You can also address fork dive by either filling forks with heavier fork oil (15weight instead of 10weight) or by reducing the size of the air gap within the forks slightly.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2016, 01:01:18 pm »
You can also address fork dive by either filling forks with heavier fork oil (15weight instead of 10weight) or by reducing the size of the air gap within the forks slightly.

That's interesting, how much is 'slightly' though?  What would be the effect of too much - reduced travel?

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2016, 06:00:18 pm »
I filled forks to normal level and then added 10ml more to each fork leg and it made a big difference to the fork. 

If you put too much in you risk popping the fork seals out if the air gap get squeezed to nothing when the forks are on full compression

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2016, 08:08:07 am »
You can also address fork dive by either filling forks with heavier fork oil (15weight instead of 10weight) or by reducing the size of the air gap within the forks slightly.

That's interesting, how much is 'slightly' though?  What would be the effect of too much - reduced travel?

If you're on standard 10w oil, changing to 15w is very noticeable and can firm up the front to a much nicer controllable feeling.
The thicker oil, and no doubt the fact that it's fresh oil, can make for a very cheap but very effective mod, as long as you're using the bike for general riding, and aren't weighted up to the max.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.