Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:32 pm

Author Topic: Shoei Quest  (Read 4707 times)

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Shoei Quest
« on: 01 October 2011, 07:00:46 pm »
Hi All
I have just bought a Shoei Quest lid a few weeks ago,I had a Raid2 which fit me realy well but was noisy.After reading so many reviews saying the quest was 60% quieter I got one,it definatly feels more aerodynamic,but 60 % quieter its not! :\

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
Re: Shoei Quest
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2011, 09:14:07 am »
It's a joke if you ask me (I know you didn't but I'm telling you anyway).  60% eh? Not 59% or 61%, exactly 60%. How was this measured I wonder? A wind tunnel with a decibel reader inside the helmet perhaps? Not exactly a "real world" situation if so.   
 Another one that really riles me, "kills 99% of all known germs". Give me a break.  :rolleyes

Call me cynical but me thinks their figures are bullshit.   :D

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2011, 09:58:44 am »
Call me Anal but wouldn't this be better in the General section?

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2011, 12:17:59 pm »
Call me Anal but wouldn't this be better in the General section?

Anal :)

Think the 99% of germs thing is because it's bleach - it kills everything, but they have to cover themselves in case you eat out your toilet and get a disease...

Is it any quiter than the raid2?
looked at these myself for a while before reminding myself i don't need a new helmet :)

Manny

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2011, 03:05:08 pm »
I went from a Raid II and I have found it a hell of lot quieter. Maybe not 60%, more like 43.72% ;)

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2011, 08:02:13 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2011, 08:21:00 pm »
Have you tried wearing your helmet in the toilet? It should be quiet in there and hardly any germs! Where's me coat?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2011, 09:59:26 pm »
IHow was this measured I wonder?
I recall "Ride" magazine did some testing of noise levels in helmets using calibrated in-ear microphones a few years ago. Aside from the bit of thin cable trailing out of the rider's lughole it looked a pretty accurate representation of normal riding conditions. Quite scary too, typical noise level at 70mph was around that at which industry gets hassle from the HSE if workers get exposed to more than an hour's worth per day. At 100mph hearing damage starts within minutes. Kinda wish I'd started wearing earplugs sooner!

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2011, 08:30:40 am »
my Aria condor is fairly noisy, gonna try a shoei next (if they fit me)

I just do not get how people ride without ear plugs.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2011, 08:31:33 am by phil on a fazer »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2011, 09:14:29 am »
I have had Arais for about 15 years or so and have always worn earplugs or headphones but they can still be a bit noisy. This summer I bought a REVUU (with the rear view mirror in it), it more comfortable and much quieter than my Arai and the vents seems to work better too. I found the buffeting much less (helping the lower noise?) and the rear view mirror is an excellent idea (takes 500-600 miles to get used too).

Downsides are, its a bit heavier than my Arai (about 300 grams), the shell is a bit bigger so can now only fit the one helmet in the top box and the lining is a little light in colour so shows dirt easier. That said it comes out easily for washing.

I got mine from Shineybikesyndome (Nooj on here), well worth a punt.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2011, 10:57:22 pm »
I prefer the qwest to the raid 2. I think the quietness claim is based on the stock raid. I had the whisper kit which improved it a lot, but annoyed me that I had to spend extra when I bought it. The Qwest has the equivalent built in and the volume for me seem about the same as a raid 2 with whisper strip, chin curtain and breath deflector
« Last Edit: 06 November 2011, 10:57:53 pm by seangee »
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2011, 10:15:38 pm »
I looked at the Quest when it first came out to replace my Raid II. Bought a XR1100 instead.  :'(
Worst helmet I have owned......... 100%
Noisy, drafty and loads of buffeting. I was expecting a bit extra noise because of the vents but mine it bloody awful. On a positive note though the vents really do work........all the bloody time whether open or closed  :( . The extended visor is however fantastic.
Wish I had bought something else though....even a Quest  :\

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2011, 01:04:28 am »
I had an Arai Condor for about 6 years, got an HJC FG- 15 now, both noisy as foc, If you want quiet just get a car. Beg your pardon? What was that you said? :rollin

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2011, 01:25:49 am »
Just brought myself the Qwest, its about the most i have spent on a helm ever (normaly go for £100-150 mark something like the AGV S4 was my last one)
but have read a lot of good reviews on the Qwest and like the fact it has inbuilt pockets for headphone fittment. seem'ed nice and light in the show room but i dont pick it up to test it out untill middle of next week :(

Its also going to be my first encounter with pin lock system. as it comes std with it. but i belive its very good at not misting up.

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2011, 07:07:42 pm »
The pinlock works very well but allow £25 for a tinted screen as well as the clear one that comes with it

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2011, 12:09:16 am »
I recently bought a Quest Airfoil, nice lid, no quieter than my moto x helmet, but much much comfier than my old Roof! Ear plugs work tho

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2011, 07:57:29 am »
I looked at the Quest when it first came out to replace my Raid II. Bought a XR1100 instead.  :'(
Worst helmet I have owned......... 100%

Ive just bought a XR1100!! it is drafty, compared to Aria Condor it seems to sit higher on your neck/chin...like the helmet isn't as long? way quieter than my condor though and the buffeting is fine.....and as you said, the extended visor is brill.