Date: 28-04-24  Time: 14:06 pm

Author Topic: Snapped Exhaust Stud removal - physical help needed - Kent  (Read 7376 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hi All,
Since Red98 "kindly" pointed out that I've got 2 exhaust studs missing on my bike I thought I had better look into getting the snapped ones out.  Apparently they are the easy ones to get to.
I have minimal bike fixing skills and certinaly no tools for this job.  Rather than spend a fortune at the garage does anyone fancy popping over and helping me out?  Happy to pay in beer, food and a tank of fuel......
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Re: Snapped Exhaust Stud removal - physical help needed - Kent
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 12:16:04 pm »
unfortunately  I can't find my extractor   but depending on how much is stud is left one of these should do the trick
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-6-19mm-Stud-Extractor-Remover-Installer-Installation-Tool-1-2-Drive-/380900860814?_trksid=p2054897.l5658
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 05:06:09 pm »
I'm suspecting none of the stud is left because the new pipes are fitted and two of the pipes are held in place by one bolt.  Would this make sense?

fazerboy01

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2014, 04:24:33 am »
If they are the "easy" ones to get at, can you undo the nut that is left, on one of the, lower the collar down the pipe and take a pic of exactly what you want removing?

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2014, 08:18:39 am »
OK, so I've taken my pipes off....

Looks like there is stud available to get something onto.  Now I'm stuck!  PS in the bottom pic, the one that is snapped is the one at the back of the photo.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2014, 08:20:30 am by HarryHornby »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2014, 08:30:03 am »
well done harry........good you have a bit left,you could repair that  :) ...done a similar repair recently on my thou..i posted pics on here , will see if  i can find them ..
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2014, 08:50:25 am »
found it,dont know how to do a linky as iam an old foccer  :rolleyes ...look at  "exhaust downpipes yes or no " in the "fazer thou corner" page 7 , 24 feb 2014.......i think iam right in saying the 600 uses a 6mm stud while the thou has 8 mm but this method will work on both   ;)  y
« Last Edit: 24 May 2014, 08:55:29 am by red98 »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2014, 09:01:14 am »
Cheers Red, that's looks a cracking job!!  I had a good read, and when it got to the technical bit about bolts and boring out etc all I read was la la la la la la.  I wouldn't have a clue where to start with all that and doubt I have the tools.  :o

I wonder if I should try that stud remover thing that Midden sent a link to and then just replace the whole studs, if I can get them out.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2014, 09:12:17 am »
ok.....there might be an easier way.......you have a fair bit of thread showing in your pictures....get your self 2 6mm nuts and put them on whats left of the stud and tighten them against each other so they are locked on the stud....then try and wind out the stud using the first nut you put on.....you studs look fairly clean so might work,a soaking with plusgas or something similar before you start might help  ;)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2014, 09:21:11 am »
oooooo liking that....I can do that!!!!  :-)  You are finding the limits of my skills (and confidence) a treat!!  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2014, 10:05:48 am »
ha ha ha....we all have to start somewhere  ;) ..good that your giving it a go  ;) .....plenty of lube and patience....little bit at a time,release,tighten,release,tighten.....fingers crossed for you matey  :)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2014, 11:25:27 am »
UPDATE....... OK, in typical me style nothing ever goes to plan LOL

I've done the 2 nut method and managed to sheer the thread off the bolt!  I now have a shiney, threadless bolt LOL

oooooo another question, IF I get them out, what do I replace them with?  Do I buy a some 6mm bolts and hacksaw off the end?
« Last Edit: 24 May 2014, 11:47:30 am by HarryHornby »

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2014, 12:25:56 pm »
Update 2!

FUCK IT!  It's going to the garage!

I've sheered the thread off the bolts (as mentioned above).  I then spent £23 on a halfords std extracting kit that had a part for 6mm bolts.  That won't grip the bolt because they are now thinner than 6mm from sheering the thread, so there's £25 wasted (including the nuts I bought this morning) and I've managed to waste half a day and I'm in the same position as I started this morning!   :(

What a waste of time and money that was!!!!!!

I've got the serious ARSE now, at 0800 this morning I had a bike that worked, one I could ride and one that was doing a good job.  I have no idea how the previous owner stopped the pipes from leaking with only one nut per stud on two downpipes, but they did.  I now, having put it back together have a bike that's blowing like a gooden, is unsuable and I need my bike for work on Tuesday!  :'(   Propper fucked off!  :'(
« Last Edit: 24 May 2014, 01:51:58 pm by HarryHornby »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2014, 02:12:43 pm »
You could bring it to a welder and ask him to weld a nut on and try and turning it out. The heat from welding can free the stud. Or you could cut it flush and try drilling it out.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2014, 02:36:53 pm »
Bugger..sorry to hear that harry.....looks like boring out is your only option now...it will be a proper job when done  :).....have another go at refitting the pipes so you can use it for work on tuesday........worked before   ;)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2014, 07:18:34 am »
That's the thing Red, I'm not sure how they did it.  Before I took the pipes off the brackets for the 2 pipes with the broken stud were nice and straight, as though they were held in with 2 nuts.  When I tighten up the nut on the single stud the bracket sits at an angle (where it's only being done up on one side).  I don't know how they got them to tighten up flush.

I know nothing about welding, if I wanted to get a nut welded on the stud,  can you get portable welding kits, or do I need to take the bike to the garage?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2014, 08:04:35 am »
mmmmmmm....two problems now.....temp repair to get you to work and long term repair........first one has got to be a bodge  :o ......iam thinking exhaust sealent and jamming a wedge of some sort between the broken stud and the mounting hole in the exhaust flange.....do the two outer pipes up first,tight (with sealent on the middle two pots) this will hold everything at the correct angle and as the downpipes are quite rigid you will get some sort of seal on the middle two......then wedge the flange on the two broken studs and tighten the good stud just enough for a snug fit,not enough to bend the flange,let the two outer pipes and the sealent do the work and the nut and wedge just hold things in place.......

or............take the two gaskets out of pots 1+4 and use two gaskets in pots 2+3 with the sealent in pots 1+4 this time.....

long term repair.drill the broken studs out and replace with new stainless studs...what i can see in your pictures the two broken studs are the two in the middle which are easy to get too...frame downtubes get in the way of studs 3+6........not a hard job if you`ve dont it before......

anyone in harrys area who could give a hand ?   

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2014, 08:11:44 am »
I take it I just gob the sealent all around the pipe after I've put it in place?  Then put the flange on?  Is it a case of stick on as much as I can to seal any holes?
« Last Edit: 25 May 2014, 08:14:32 am by HarryHornby »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2014, 08:37:57 am »
no....not that much of a bodge  :eek .....use the sealent as an assembly paste on the gaskets  ;) ......just nip up the bolts on the middle two and let the sealent do the work,sealent will go hard with gentle heat but you will still be able to break the joint when you come to do the proper repair......run the engine to cure the sealent,just on tick over any more will just blow the sealent out  ;) .....ive just used some "holts firegum" on my daughters car,works well and cures quickly,think i paid £4 at halfords,more than enough to do the job...

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2014, 08:49:04 am »
assembly paste??????  You're talking that jive talk again! LOL ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2014, 06:54:05 pm »
any progress harry ?

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2014, 08:56:28 am »
well, it's bodged back together (don't look pretty).  I've not stress tested the exhaust with a ride because it's been too wet.
I need the exhaust fixed ASAP.  Just toying with which garage to take it to.  My local (all makes all models bike garage who will probably do an ok job) or the Faversham bike shop who I'm sure will do a pukka job, but at a Yamaha dealer price.
I don't have welding equipment and I certainly don't trust myself to dril the bolts out.
Bottom line, I just want it fixed so I can ride the bike, but I don't have loads of funds, I need a new back tyre, but can't afford both, wish I hadn't touched the focing exhaust to be honest.  :(   It needs to be good soon because we have the Brands Hatch ride skills day at the end of june and I need the exhaust fixed and rear tyre fitted and scrubbed in for this event.

Is there ANYONE who can lend a hand who has experience of welding or drilling out bolts?

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 June 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
The bike is in the garage..... I await the bill  :'(

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2014, 02:34:24 am »
Can't be arsed to read through all the post as I'm tired and you've put it in garage anyway. Sorry.   Anyway if not already suggested you could have got over the problem of stud being less than 6mm by putting a nail or screw in to the extraction tool along side the stud.
Oh and potentially not £25 wasted, I'm sure some foccer one day will need a loan of the extractor ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2014, 07:02:18 am »
The extraction tool went back to Halfords for a refund!  "Can I bring this back please? I didn't need it in the end!"  :b :D