Date: 02-05-24  Time: 09:13 am

Author Topic: Whining sounds from front end once over 25mph  (Read 2543 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Whining sounds from front end once over 25mph
« on: 02 May 2014, 11:16:55 am »
This last couple of days, I've noticed a whining, whistling sound from front end, once I get above 25-30mph ish. What do you reckon, wheel bearings? Crud in brakes?

Front pads were new around Jan/Feb ish. New Speedo thingy was fitted then too, as old one broke. Front tyre was new about 2 months ago. If I lift front up, the wheel does seem to have some resistance when turned, as though it's catching/rubbing on something.
When I turn slowly on a tight corner (out of sharp junction for instance) the front end does feel a bit notchy, although it's always felt like this as long as I remember.

What do you reckon?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Whining sounds from front end once over 25mph
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2014, 12:29:06 pm »
Did you do all the work yourself or take it to someone?
Has the noise been there since the remedial work?

You may have a front brake piston playing up, tho not necessarily seized or even stuck, just not fully backing off.  I find bluespots to be frustrating brakes, wonderful when working but a bit temperamental in that their performance is quick to go off.

Also, long shot but you didn't have a Bridgestone BT-021 front tyre fitted ? Known for making howling noises via the front mudguard

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2014, 12:52:38 pm »
Nah, garage did work. Work was done few months ago, noise just started in last day or two. Tyre is a Metz Z8.

Did give bike a good wash earlier in week, wondering if I've dislodged some crud etc around brakes...  Either way, sound like I'm gonna have to book it in for a check up.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2014, 01:05:42 pm »
Catching on the mudguard maybe...have you checked all the mudguard bolts are nice & tight???
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2014, 01:22:21 pm »
any play in the wheel bearing?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2014, 01:29:37 pm »
This last couple of days, I've noticed a whining, whistling sound from front end, once I get above 25-30mph ish.

Have you tried asking the wife to shut her legs  :)
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2014, 07:44:09 pm »
When my front wheel bearings went I first noticed as an occasional "clink" sound when changing speed or direction and handling generally sucking. I could well believe others have different symptoms and different noises. To checkout the bearings check for play in the wheel forward/back and side/side. Could still be bad even if no play, but if there is then you know you need bearings changed. That's probably a garage job but I think it was just an hour's labour plus parts.

Binding brakes can make a whooshing noise but generally I've noticed it at speeds BELOW 25 mph or even when pushing it, as it's never been loud enough to hear at greater speeds. When you spin the wheel with a firm push, do you get 1/2 turn or more of travel before it stops? Spray some brake cleaner in there, try and get the crud off the pistons, they should be shiney. If need be pull off the caliper, drop out the pads and clean the pistons. Delboy's garage has good vids on this, or wouldn't be expensive to get done.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2014, 07:44:54 pm by andybesy »

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2014, 08:26:02 pm »
This last couple of days, I've noticed a whining, whistling sound from front end, once I get above 25-30mph ish.

Have you tried asking the wife to shut her legs  :)

sweeeeeeeeeet ! i thought perhaps a wolf was sat on the front fender merrily whilstling a tune or two ! :lol :lol

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2014, 10:36:27 am »
Unusual noises at 25-30mph+ could be the speedo drive. Did they put any grease in the speedo sensor unit when they changed the 'thingy' (I assume you mean the ring with the 2 lugs either side, also known as a rotor!)? Even a new one can make unusual grinding noises if not greased up. The heat/friction/vibration may also kill it, costing another £15 for a new one.

Try taking the front wheel off & put some grease in there to see if that cures it. Having said this though, if you are experiencing handling issues it is probably not going to be the speedo drive.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2014, 03:46:52 pm »
Just back from garage. Took wheel off and had a good nose round. Reckoned there was no obvious issues with bearings, just gave everything a bit of a clean and greased up bearings and speedo as it was looking quite dry. No noise on ride home, so hopefully sorted! Yes, speedo thing is the speedo rotor, plastic ring with couple lugs on it. Garage said they'd seen a few Fazers with a similar issue. Either way, they only charged me a tenner, so canna moan really.