Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:24 pm

Author Topic: Brake Calipers cleaing: Removing caked on Brake dust and grime?  (Read 1527 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
So doing the obligatory clean on the spare set of calipers for my bandit, while typical brake cleaner is fine for cleaning the discs, pistons and calipers internals - its hopeless at cleaning all the caked on brake dust/road grime on the caliper body. I have always thought, there must be a spray/brush liquid solution that will dissolve the caked on brake dust and road grime, so we don't need to be getting out the wire brush and pick for the seal grooves.

After a bit of research for the outside at least, what we need is a solution/fluid that will react with the iron in the brake dust. Examples I have seen on youtube are for cleaning the brake dust of wheels, but I think it should do the same job on calipers aswell. The idea is you spray it on and leave it to soak for a few minutes, after which time it changes color (usual pink or purple). Then you simply rinse it off with water and for more stubborn instances, agitating with an toothbrush rinse and repeat if as required.

Id like to hear back from any of your guys that have found a product that works well for you? What I have been looking for so far is car wheel cleaner and iron remove like  -
  • WonderWheels Colour change (acid free) wheel cleaner - amazon
« Last Edit: 11 January 2021, 08:47:02 pm by b1k3rdude »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Calipers cleaing: Removing caked on Brake dust and grime?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2021, 10:06:55 pm »
Not sure about shitty bandits but what I find really frustrating is trying to clean the front calipers on my fazer as its a textured mat finnish, just collects brake dust. Would be much better a smooth gloss. Apart from the fact they are a parts bin special does anyone know why they are like that.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2021, 10:12:50 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2021, 09:23:32 am »
After a bit of research for the outside at least, what we need is a solution/fluid that will react with the iron in the brake dust. Examples I have seen on youtube are for cleaning the brake dust of wheels, but I think it should do the same job on calipers aswell. The idea is you spray it on and leave it to soak for a few minutes, after which time it changes color (usual pink or purple). Then you simply rinse it off with water and for more stubborn instances, agitating with an toothbrush rinse and repeat if as required.

It works but in my experience no better than WW when used correctly. 
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2021, 11:24:17 am »
Not sure about shitty bandits but what I find really frustrating is trying to clean the front calipers on my fazer as its a textured mat finish just collects brake dust.
Well my 'shitty' Bandit 1250 is a better daily driver than my/the FZS/FZ1,  better gearbox, better wind protection, better low down grunt, better corrosion resistance.

The Tociko calipers on the bandit have the same matt/dimpled finish as the blue spot calipers on the FZS, but unlike the bluespots the Tociko's are split-able so making cleaning them easier.
It works but in my experience no better than WW when used correctly.
I think WW would be great when the calipers are still relatively low mileage or have been professional cleaned, but I have personally found it doesn't really remove/dissolve the caked-on black crud/corrosion on calipers that have been around for a while.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2021, 11:37:02 am »
I think WW would be great when the calipers are still relatively low mileage or have been professional cleaned, but I have personally found it doesn't really remove/dissolve the caked-on black crud/corrosion on calipers that have been around for a while.

You need to agitate the surface well before adding the WW and then again after a min or so, this time with a wet brush adding more WW, repeat until clean.  Best way to apply WW is with a pump spray bottle, but be careful, the mist if breathed in will burn your throat/nose, wear a mask or at least hold your breath while spraying.  Once cleaned, regular cleaning will prevent any build up, it only builds up due to lack of cleaning, cheap or crap pads also don't help.   
Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2021, 09:51:41 pm »
Well ordered some of that non-acid WW cleaner that also removes iron deposits when it changes colour and see how I go.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2021, 10:16:16 pm »
Well ordered some of that non-acid WW cleaner that also removes iron deposits when it changes colour and see how I go.

Note: If it says "Use in a well ventilated space", believe it!

When I cleaned and rebuilt my calipers, I did it in a room without adequate ventilation and felt *really* crap for the next couple of days after breathing brake cleaner for a few hours... :(

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2021, 11:54:06 am »
you must have used a lot of cleaner..?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2021, 12:10:38 pm »

Or spray cans, ie vapour  :( Some older stuff, contains 111 Trich which is a great cleaner, but bad for you attacks the nervous systems and cause dizziness and don't do the environment any good either, band from general sale years ago.  Even the newer stuff isn't good and shouldn't be used in confined spaces i.e. a typical home garage/workshop that isn't well ventilated, wear the correct mask and ventilate, or limit use in a ventilated space.  Don't use in non ventilated spaces without a correct mask  ;)

Later

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2021, 04:40:46 pm »
So this stuff arrived today and its not bad, its less aggressive than the acid-based WW (but it sinks). As in there are far less white stains everywhere, how ever I did have to apply and agitate with a tooth brush 3x times to get the majority of the black crud off the calipers  (before and after).

There was a lot of wirebrush on the rough exposed alloy faces and toothbrush everywhere else, which now shows these calipers have done a few miles. My existing calipers might be in better condition...

« Last Edit: 13 January 2021, 05:13:25 pm by b1k3rdude »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2021, 08:25:31 pm »

Or spray cans, ie vapour  :(

Yep. It was *not* a clever idea :(