Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:52 am

Author Topic: Is it just me.....................  (Read 1091 times)

derildo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Is it just me.....................
« on: 20 July 2012, 05:43:17 pm »
I am trying to fit the R&G crash bungs: The off side went on relatively easily however the nearside M10 bolt would not come out after removing the nut.
I had a pair of those clamping pliers (cannot remember what you call them) and twisted and pulled on the bolt spraying wd40 on, no joy.
In the end I cut the head of the bolt off and knocked it back through.

What had happened was the thread of the bolt was catching on the metal bush because the bolt was askew in the tunnel. Of course now putting the new bolt through is pushing out the bush...............

Does anyone know of a way to get the components to line up properly?  I have tried a jack on the sump to lift the engine slightly, that did'nt help, would it be best to loosen all the front engine mounts?

cheers
Derek 

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me.....................
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2012, 07:31:52 pm »
exact same thing happened to me m8.

ended up being a 2 man job to get it sorted.

problem is probably caused by the holes not lining up 100%. one guy stands on one side with a long screwdriver aligning the holes and the other starts feeding the bolt through.

guy with the screwdriver also makes sure that the "filler" stays where it should.

We finally managed to get it in an sorted and, as said before, if I can do it then anyone can.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

derildo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2012, 07:53:55 pm »
Thanks Lazarus

I will rope one of my mates in then! Don't think I have ever had this one a Japanese bike before, par for the course on the Guzzi's I have owned though...........   

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2012, 09:57:00 pm »
I had the same problem !!!!!
I ended up removing the collar until I had to change oil and filter?
12 month down the line and  I have still not fitted the collar? Is this pushing my luck???

derildo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2012, 07:18:39 am »
I was considering doing that myself as everything is in the way! But I did get the bush in yesterday after all. (Being a Billy No Mates I did manage it on my own.)

I had got both the bolts in and had torqued up the bottom bolt, I could not then get the bush onto the top bolt as it was not central. I then noticed that there was a small gap between the top hole of the R&G block and the frame so loosened the bottom bolt and whacked the block with a mallet to pull in the top, offered up the bush onto the end of the bolt and using an old 300mm+ M8 or 10 engine bolt I had in the bottom of my toolbox (dunno what bike that came off!) and the mallet I was able to tap the bush about halfway into its recess this was then enough to get the washer and nut onto the thread and I was able to sink the bush fully home by doing it up.

The old engine bolt was able to pass by the hoses, exhaust, brackets and oil filter to get a decent contact with the bush. 

cheers Derek