Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:12 pm

Author Topic: 250+ miles to a tank.....can of worms opened  (Read 11006 times)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 250+ miles to a tank.....can of worms opened
« Reply #25 on: 28 July 2012, 10:06:02 pm »
I get great economy out of my bike, I ride fairly fast but maybe not thrash it through the gears so much. Like someone said earlier this IS the all rounder of bikes. It'll plod along in 6th at 20mph all the way to 150+. I know because I've done it, weekly. I can't see me ever changing it I look at nice shiny new stuff but it's definitely no better but uses way more fuel for the same performance.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 July 2012, 10:14:57 pm »
i have managed 160 before light but no more
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 July 2012, 06:13:32 am »
I put the nozzle in the tank and just kept squeezing the trigger until all the air in the tank was gone. It takes a while as you think its full but the level drops allowing you to squirt in a bit more. My light came on at 180 miles and from then on I was gentle with the throttle. 76 miles on reserve, for me thats handy to know it can do that. Btw, I agree with you fireblake it certainly would be hard to find a modern replacement.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 July 2012, 07:29:33 am »
well I have managed to get 55 mpg out of my fazer whilst touring ( keeping to legal speeds and gentle throttle use), and that consumption goes skyward on the motorway, especially at 100 mph or more cruising. The engine is fab, its a very efficient  converter of fuel to energy , so gentle use will give much more mpg. As for true tank capacity ...most I have ever put in is 20.5 litres , thats with fuel light on for ages.The range will depend on just how careful you are on the throttle.

as a comparison my latest bike will do 38mpg at 100 mph , 62 mpg at 55 mph....got the chance to test both speeds  on seperate days on my euro tour. In the UK its hard to just potter about if you only ride say once a week!....but on tour you do get the chance to really have a go at getting max fuel consumption.

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 July 2012, 08:05:31 am »
When i was researching which bike to buy next, the biggest gripe with Fazer owners was the low MPG from there bikes,

but oddly reading this it goes from 130 miles per tank to 250 , so whats their problem,,if they only get 120 then thats because they are ripping it up,cant do both.
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29 July 2012, 09:37:03 am »
Simple, you've got a Gen 2.  The rest of us talking in this thread have got Gen 1s.   :)

Can't be them there carbs, cowboy! :lol:

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 July 2012, 09:41:30 am »
Those are gen 1 figures, gen 2 is a diff story :P

I seem to get around 40 mpg most of the time and for a 140bhp + ltr engine that's not bad
The 1250 bandit was 1 mpg better but nowhere near the fun on the same trips. So much for fi :P

Really want to test a ZX1000sx for a few days to see its real mpg figures as its the nearest to a well sorted gen 1 I have found.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 July 2012, 10:54:07 am »
Commuting to work on my Gen2 I managed to get 48 mpg out of a tank - 150 miles to nearly empty. Not great but good to know can do it (mix of a roads and motorways sticking to limits more or less)

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 July 2012, 07:17:00 am »
I zeroed my milo and filled up with shell super, 109 miles on the clock and started it up at a cafe yesterday and the last black mark on fuel gauge started to flash,,109 i thought,not good,,as i rode looking for fuel the flashing bar stayed constant , when i fefuelled it only took 11.45 litres to the spout neck,,

so if the tank is ,what 18 litres?, then the gauge is set a bit high,and there was loads left in the tank,,
whats the capacity of a gen 2 tank?

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 July 2012, 10:01:39 am »
whats the capacity of a gen 2 tank?  -  not enough   :rollin
18 lts according to the manual with a reserve of 3.4 lts

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 July 2012, 02:08:17 pm »
Just a little update to irritate certain people :D  Just beat my old record of 253.3 miles. New record......256.2 and still didn't run out completely. Started to cough and splutter so filled up with 22.4litres. Why do I do this you may ask.....I say, Why not...! :)

How the chuffing hell are you doing this??? i think once i just got over 200 and the light came on...i that was riding like a saint. normally light on at 180ish.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 July 2012, 02:44:20 pm »
How am I doing it. Well for starters going easy on the throttle but have had a few full throttle moments as well. secondly when I fill up  I absolutely brim it, can take ages But most importantly forget about the natural urge to fill up when the light comes on and keep checking the old fashioned way by looking in the tank  and giving it a little  slosh around . When you think you are dangerously low according to the gauge you'll be amazed at how much is still left in the tank when you look. Give it a try. I find it quite an amusing game to play and would love to see someone beat my record. A measured 1/2 L of fuel carried with you towards the end gives you the confidence to push it that bit further. ;)

misterjayb1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 July 2012, 09:51:06 pm »
Very rarely let the tank run so low... Surely not a good thing suckin the crud that can gather there thru the fuel system?
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 July 2012, 10:21:11 pm »
Very rarely let the tank run so low... Surely not a good thing suckin the crud that can gather there thru the fuel system?

This is probably the key to how he manages it! Fine particles of 'crud' have partially blocked his mains jets.
 Expect a rather less smug report before long bemoaning fact the engine has gone pop.
 :evil

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 July 2012, 11:02:18 pm »
 :lol   What is this crud substance you talk of, I have only ever filled mine with petrol but if crud will make it go further, I may give this a try.  :D           My apologies Phil if I come across as smug, not my intention....Thought it may be of interest, that's all.  ;)
« Last Edit: 01 August 2012, 12:13:52 am by dazza »

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01 August 2012, 12:30:31 am »
I regularly get 220 miles till the light comes on, then I fill it up
I do 17 miles each way comute. 20/80 split town and A roads. And although don't redline the whole journey  I def  get to work witha smile on my face!!!!!

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 August 2012, 06:06:33 am »
       My apologies Phil if I come across as smug, not my intention....Thought it may be of interest, that's all.  ;)

Nah, no need to apologise, I'm all tongue in cheek  :b

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 August 2012, 07:01:12 am »
stories do abound with claims of this and that. The way I look at it , my bike has been dynoed with almost perfect fuel air ratio, giving me the best mix of power and economy for this engine. If 139 bhp at rear wheel combined with up to 55 mpg aint good enuff....try something else ! :lol

I had one of those perfect ride moments on sunday on my gen1, nice dry roads, the suspension was behaving perfectly , the drive from the engine was awesome, top gear pull from just 4k rpm was terrific...after 7 weeks on another bike, I just wallowed in the bikes stunning power and acceleration coupled with superb handling. TBH all thoughts of buying a new multistrada have now gone out of my head.This gen1 has everything I need on the road....

I aint particularly fussed with getting 250 miles to a tank when my bike performs so dynamically... :)

fzs rider

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 01 August 2012, 02:24:11 pm »
i got about 130 ,140 to a tank but will check and see how much my bike is doing to a tank full will try to not go above 90mph and take it easy  and see how many miles it gets

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 01 August 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
Don't often check MPG on bike but I did the other week got 48 mpg trying and I mean trying to keep up with mates, ducati 848 corse, R1. that was on mainly B roads, Selby to seaways and back to Squires.
Then another day me leading with another mate, same sort of roads, I got 60 mpg. still had some fun, don't know what I'd get riding steady, do that in the car 44mpg punto.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #45 on: 02 August 2012, 12:31:47 pm »
The only thing I watch for, is how many miles before the reserve light comes on. If it'll do another 100 miles before the bike splutters to a grinding halt in the middle of nowhere, is of no interest to me.

The best Full-to-Reserve I've managed to date is 137 miles.

Tom
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

wibblywobbly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 21 October 2012, 10:37:21 pm »
An aging thread but I will add to it anyway.

I bought my Gen 2 3weeks ago, its all bog standard except a full fairing, scottoiler. No PC, FCE or race can etc.

Having had a quick read on the forum when I bought it, I was not surprised when the display tripped to reserve at 140 miles. I just filled it up and didn't look at how much went in. I did the same the next time I went for a ride.

This morning I had to fill up before going out, and happened to notice it was 11.75 litres? Hmmm, I thought it was an 18 litre tank.

Went out all day, nailing it all over the place, no economy riding whatsoever, and sure enough 140 miles and I was down to the last bar again. I filled up....11.75 litres again. Hmmmm.

Got home and did some calcs. I am getting 53mpg even when riding in Sunday Ride mode. Did some more calcs and realised that I have 73 miles left in the tank when that last bar flashes, so no more mad panics for me, it's a tank range of over 200 miles.

Does anyone have a Gen 2 tank that actually hits reserve in the tank, when it displays on the fuel gauge, eg 3.5 litres left?, and is there anything that can be done to make it work that way?

Rob

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22 October 2012, 06:52:02 am »
ref - gen2 fuel consumption. Well if you do keep the revs down, a stock gen2 will probably get similar mpg to a gen1, but its a very revvy engine, all the power is stacked at the very topend of the rev range ( u need 7k to start to access it)...so if you start using it that consumption will soar. I had one, had 45 mpg bimbling along , maybe 35 if I used it hard. Thats how the gen1 scores cos of its mid range torque you dont have to cane it to make very swift progress= good mpg. Use both hard and consumption will be similar.
On last years euro tour with Dek ( on his gen2), when we filled up we used one pump, and similar fuel amounts were going into each bike , and as we were riding together , we were doing similar speeds.
Ultimately the combo of revvy engine, and small fuel tank is the gen2s achilles heel.

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22 October 2012, 06:56:17 am »
I zeroed my milo and filled up with shell super, 109 miles on the clock and started it up at a cafe yesterday and the last black mark on fuel gauge started to flash,,109 i thought,not good,,as i rode looking for fuel the flashing bar stayed constant , when i fefuelled it only took 11.45 litres to the spout neck,,

so if the tank is ,what 18 litres?, then the gauge is set a bit high,and there was loads left in the tank,,
whats the capacity of a gen 2 tank?

Yes,my FZ1 scares you a bit early,, still loads of fuel left,,,light comes on early but enough for me to get 150 without worrying, not much goes in then though, so my riding style would run out of fuel at about 175 miles per tank

DanielT

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22 October 2012, 09:48:22 am »
I am going to get a nice 1 litre jug, and test the pump next time.

Have someone filming it to either see the fear in the staff's eyes or the looks of "what's up wiv that nutter?"

Or get a liquid flow gauge to test if the pump is wrong.

This started off as a joke, now there's a little part of me that wants to try it!