Date: 15-05-24  Time: 15:33 pm

Author Topic: need some clues please  (Read 1491 times)

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
need some clues please
« on: 01 November 2012, 07:43:48 pm »
me black fazers is playing up - upon pulling away it bogs till about 1500 rpm them vroom like wise at tick over rev it the revs rise then drop to below tickover then resettles i suspect carb balancing just wanted to ask for any other clues
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: need some clues please
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2012, 09:17:41 pm »
Sounds a bit more than just a carb balance, but your welcome to borrow my Morgan carb balance thing.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2012, 09:30:21 pm »
It may be nothing to do with your prob but mine did the pulling away problem after I washed it thoroughly and put it away without drying it, turned out on the plug caps was not in fully and had got damp inside. Dried out properly and normal service was resumed.

P

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2012, 09:31:42 pm »
I had something sounds the same with mine 2/3 weeks back - typically, the day the girlfriend was taking her first ride out on it  :rolleyes

She managed ok for the day, I took it out once we got home, it still wasn't right, gave it a right good thrashing (as in red line every gear, up to about 120 - I have a private race track), and it seemed to clear it out. Dunno if it was a bit of crap in the carbs or what, and me abusing it sucked the crap through - but she said it was loads better the next day.

I had been wondering if the carbs needed a balance, prior to it playing up - to the point of buying a Carbtune - but hadn't done the job yet. It remains undone  :D

Hope your fix is as simple  :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2012, 10:03:22 pm »
Is this a new problem, Luke?  Was the motor running perfectly before now?  What's the idle speed set at?

I'd start by checking plugs, leads, caps etc.  Rule out ignition-related causes as far as possible.

The symptoms suggest over-rich idle fuelling (assuming it's not plugs etc).  It's still on standard jetting, IIRC, but is it possible that the mixture screws have been messed with?

Another possibility is that the float needle valve seat O-rings are leaking a little.  Not enough to flood the carbs and cause fuel to leak from the overflows but enough to raise the fuel level in the float bowls too high.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2012, 10:20:16 pm »
been there since i have owned it - ivans slip on kit - goes like a rocket it's just the very low pull away tick over is solid 1100 and always returns to this i have changed the plugs reset tps and no change it's not a misfire it's more of a cough doesent pick up low down cleanly
hence i thought carb balance been a bit of a challange this un on many fronts but this is the last wee issue
it's ridable just needs few more rpm's to get it rolling like you would do with a bike you have never riden before and your sussing it out

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2012, 06:23:04 am »
Who installed the kit? 

Set the idle to 1250rpm - where it should be for an 'Ivanised' Gen 1 - and see what happens.

Balance the carbs to eliminate that as a possibility.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2012, 09:30:22 pm »
rite tried again  to sort this changed plugs and air filter checked all leeds and found no fault wot i did find is you did not do the ivans kit if you recall i asked you re springs as these had been cut as per instruction and not as we do em now
i checked the exup and found after reset the start point was low say 7 ok instrad 9 o clock re adjusted and after reset was fine cant increase tick over as adjuster ceased so left to soak in wd40 then the heavens opened and was game over

R1FSR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2012, 11:10:38 pm »
Mike ...1250rpm !! ..is that not high ?...not questioning your knowledge as you know far more than me about it...just that ive always had mine around 1000 - 1100rpm mark  :eek

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2012, 06:07:01 am »
It's what Ivan recommends with his kits fitted, Paul. :)