Date: 25-04-24  Time: 11:17 am

Author Topic: I need a new lid; recommendations?  (Read 2690 times)

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
I need a new lid; recommendations?
« on: 21 May 2012, 11:57:42 am »
So I dropped my Shark S900 the other week and bent the sun-visor lever. It's finally gotten annoying enough to warrant a replacement. So my question is this: If you were buying for yourself in the next couple of months, what would you get?

Budget doesn't matter a whole lot, but a decent SHARP rating and not being too garish does.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
Re: I need a new lid; recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2012, 12:09:08 pm »
lids are very personal choice the same lid may only fit properly to a few people just because of the shape inside so you'll have to try before you buy ! but to be fair thats I cant think of anyone that doesnt !

I am a fan of the flip front lids so I have a schuberth c2 at the moment but my next will be the C3 with pin lock visor inserts !

but not cheap !

If moneys no object you could go for the tarty carbon one at i think £700  ouch ! you can get them with prefitted blue tooth as well !

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2012, 12:31:04 pm »
 I currently have the box biohazard (not to flashy due to colours)
for me i find it a great helmet with integral sunvisor and option to fit pinlock, just found it here at a cracking price!!!
http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/1490-box-bz-1-biohazard-motorcycle-helmet.html

to be honest i bought it because it was the best fit for me, after trying on about a dozen different manufactures and styles.
IMHO a helmet can only do its job with a perfect fit, anything else just defies the point.
good luck in ya shopping

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2012, 01:13:41 pm »
I use an Arai ViperGT.

I would recommend trying a few lids on as they all behave/fit differently depending upon your head shape.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2012, 02:22:03 pm »
I've got a AGV Stealth SV and would consider another if I had to get one today, nice helmet with intergrated sun visor, DD fastener and they're on offer at sportsbikeshop at the moment

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/837

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/839
thou shalt not kick

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2012, 03:53:11 pm »
I have a Arai Quantum (which I like) but prefer Shoeis in general. Have the Arai due to it fitting me the best, again, it is one of the most important things in a helmet. Saw some Bell helmets (Eu spec, made in Italy), looked tasty, especially the carbon ones.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2012, 05:11:09 pm »
lids are very personal choice the same lid may only fit properly to a few people just because of the shape inside so you'll have to try before you buy ! but to be fair thats I cant think of anyone that doesnt !

I am a fan of the flip front lids so I have a schuberth c2 at the moment but my next will be the C3 with pin lock visor inserts !

but not cheap !

If moneys no object you could go for the tarty carbon one at i think £700  ouch ! you can get them with prefitted blue tooth as well !

I have a C3 and it's lovely. BUT I don't think it scores well in the test mentioned.
I find it hard to believe that a Schuberth that Schumi used when racing bikes wasn't safe?

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2012, 05:16:11 pm »
Just had a look and the C3 gets 3 stars. I can't see any explinations  if any star rating is not recommended or if one star is good enough. It's obvious that 5 is better than 1 but how much worse is the one star helmet I wonder?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2012, 07:09:03 pm »
It's what fits yer heid that counts.

I bought a Arai Viper GT a couple of years ago.  Brilliant fit, very comfortable but absolutely dreadful visor system.

I wouldn't be in a big rush to buy another Arai.

breadlord

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2012, 07:14:04 pm »
Yeah, seems every time I go to somewhere selling gear there's someone there trying to get some help with a stuck visor. Those side-pods are a killer, it seems.

Unlikely to bother me though, I only ever use clear visors...

Pickle

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2012, 08:24:44 pm »

but not cheap !

I got a C3 from Get Geared at the Scottish Bike Show for £340, fitted my Interphone F4 to it and really like it. Used to buy helmets on price but after the doc confirmed I had Tinitus I invested in the C3 and also wear ear plugs but can still listen to music and make calls. I rate it.

Bob

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2012, 09:34:44 pm »
Shoei fits me perfectly. Excellent visor and ventilation system. I would go for an X-Spirit II if my X-Spirit needed replacing.

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2012, 11:17:01 pm »
I'm with VNA - it's what fits best that counts.

The only helmet I could find that fit my weird shaped bonce was a Nolan - but damn it's soooo noisy, really puts me off, most of the noise comes from the
chin strap - only thing that helps is riding along with my left hand blocking the wind!

X-spirit gets my vote for quietness, although I wore one for five years, it wasn't until I tried the Nolan that I realised the Shoei wasn't as good a fit as I first thought!
Far too much movement...Maybethe padding had compressed i five years? Maybe my head shrunk? :-p

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2012, 08:32:17 am »
I have a Arai Quantum (which I like) but prefer Shoeis in general. Have the Arai due to it fitting me the best, again, it is one of the most important things in a helmet. Saw some Bell helmets (Eu spec, made in Italy), looked tasty, especially the carbon ones.
Shoei fits me perfectly. Excellent visor and ventilation system. I would go for an X-Spirit II if my X-Spirit needed replacing.

I had a Quantum E which fitted perfect but got old so I needed a replacement and got the Shoei X-spirit II which fited just as well it is lighter than the Arai by quite a bit but is bit noiser, with the Arai I didn't need ear plugs for short runs but the shoei I do on all runs.

I went for a plain black but that was because I wanted a custom paint job on mine.

also I must add that I have got small head (XS) and did try at least 10 different helmets on before buying. my problem was not all shops stock xs and to be told that the other model fits like the one they have on display I didn't like!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2012, 03:32:34 pm »
I got a REEVU helmet from Nooj on here last summer, the one with the rear view mirror built in. I really like it, quiet, comfortable and the rear view mirror is a really good feature (takes about 500 miles to get used to).

Well worth a punt if it suits your head as they supply different size padding to get a custom fit

[size=78%]          [/size]

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2012, 03:43:14 pm »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2012, 05:37:27 pm »
If you like Shark helmets, have a look at the evoline 3 flip front. the chin visor locks in the open position so it can be legally ridden open or closed.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2012, 06:09:51 pm »
My NZI Spyder (mk 1) is lasting very well, it is about 10 years old, the visor too. They are already making the mk3, not sure if the quality standards are the same though.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2012, 06:18:16 pm »
Yeah, seems every time I go to somewhere selling gear there's someone there trying to get some help with a stuck visor. Those side-pods are a killer, it seems.

Unlikely to bother me though, I only ever use clear visors...

I only has the helmet a few weeks when I broke one of the side pods. 

I loved the SHOEI system.  You can pop the visor on and off in seconds without any fear of breaking anything.  So I was in the habit of popping the visor off to clean it, it's much easier to clean the visor once it's no longer attached to the helmet.

So now I'm stuck cleaning the visor when still on the hat, which can be a pain in cafe or public loos, plus you end up with those soggy bits now and again when you don yer hat again.  My first and last Arai, but considering the money I paid for it, I'll suffer it for a wee while yet.