Date: 21-05-24  Time: 12:14 pm

Author Topic: Fuel Cap Breather  (Read 6700 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Cap Breather
« Reply #50 on: 25 February 2017, 05:24:26 pm »
With you shaking the bike and then it starting ok I wonder if there is crap in the tank that is settling round the outlet for the  petrol tap under the tank. When the bike is stood the crap sinks to the lowest point and restricts the fuel flow.
Or possibly I am talking crap, it has been known :)

Could be crap, but the way the engine starts then stops dead i have a gut feeling i've picked up water from somewhere.
The bike was in the garage overnight, so not wet at all and the temperature is mild so i can't blame weather conditions this time.
The difference today though was i started the bike in the garage, whereas i would normally wheel it out then put it back on the sidestand.
This movement may be more than enough to slosh the fuel about making it start easier in the mornings, but at work i start it where it's parked.
All still guesswork obviously but i think i'm on the right track.
Once i'd shaken the bike and got it started, i switched off and it was starting no problem at all afterwards.
I can't see why shaking the bike would fix an electrical fault.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 25 February 2017, 05:24:47 pm »
just take the bike for a good blast and see if i can burn it off whilst having a little bit of fun at the same time.

I refer you to the post I made earlier

« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2017, 1
Have you tried taking it out for a dam good thrashing
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 25 February 2017, 07:49:07 pm »
just take the bike for a good blast and see if i can burn it off whilst having a little bit of fun at the same time.

I refer you to the post I made earlier

« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2017, 1
Have you tried taking it out for a dam good thrashing

Yeah i know.
Just sods law that i have a week off and all i hear is reports of shite weather, plus i've got torn ligaments in my thumb so it's bloody painful to ride for too long.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26 February 2017, 07:29:09 am »
Thumb hurts far less if you go out for a mate's 50th, and hit all types of alcoholic weirdness for 7hrs.
I don't for one second condone this type of behaviour, it's just silly, but at least i can type this message in a reasonable manner.....eventually.
For the record, torn thumb ligaments hurts like fook, and seriously doesn't feel like it's improving at all......after 4 weeks  :'(
« Last Edit: 26 February 2017, 07:30:29 am by darrsi »