Date: 28-04-24  Time: 11:40 am

Author Topic: Advice Gaming Monitor For Son's Birthday  (Read 1384 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Advice Gaming Monitor For Son's Birthday
« on: 29 September 2019, 09:12:08 pm »
Hi all, as per title as always.

My son's 15th birthdai looming next Friday and he has asked for a gamimg monitor for an Xbox 1/360 - whichecer is the latest one.

He currently has a 24" TV as the monitor, never asks for much (bless him) so price is really not an isssue.

Need some advice on a good one which he will notice the difference with.

The only one I have managed to ferrett out is in the link below.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/asus-rog-swift-xg258q-full-hd-25-led-gaming-monitor-black-10178290-pdt.html

So, am I looking in the right direction or are there better alternatives out there?

Any advise as always much appreciated in advance.

Cheers fellas.

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Advice Gaming Monitor For Son's Birthday
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2019, 09:36:46 pm »
How about upgrading his TV so he only has one screen?

I know nothing about their game viewing ability but they cant be that bad.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2019, 11:02:32 pm »
This is an excellent monitor for 4k uhd gaming.

Samsung C27RG5 27" Curved Gaming Monitor 240Hz https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T2Y5ZG7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uHsKDbGF6DAEX

What console is it precisely, it will make a difference as to what monitor you should get and therefore price.
If it's an Xbox is it a 360, an Xbox one, Xbox one S, Xbox one S 4k, or a one X?
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2019, 07:01:36 am »

I'm not into games at all but my job does involve setting up high end monitors every day, and i would certainly agree that it would be easier and more cost effective to buy a new tv that can cover both areas.
TV's are not that expensive right now so you can get quite a lot for your money, don't go mad on size but if you can go bigger then do it. 

Look out for a proper 4K Smart tv that has built in wifi to future proof it, and try and look for the highest refresh rate possible for maximum effect.
Personally, i would avoid OLED because they have the possibility of burn in on the screen. It's unlikely but it only takes a game to be paused then forgotten about and if the tv itself doesn't deal with it then it can certainly happen. It happens on my monitors at work when they're out on long term dramas or features and the static ground glass markings on the cameras get burned into the screen. I can't even charge for it because it's the nature of the beast, but i will have to get the panel replaced which can cost a small fortune.
Any animated game will look great on a 4K screen but the higher refresh rate will mean less blurring or possible lagging for any higher speed stuff. 

Be aware that new tv's can be totally set up wrong for wherever you put it out of the box. On tv mode i will normally sit there for ages going through every single setting until i get it looking right, and not all of the advertised features may necessarily be a good thing, so literally try everything out.
Once the tv picture is sorted you'll probably find that that the gaming picture will be sorted out perfectly as well.
Little trick with the Chroma/Colour setting, take out the Colour until it's black & white, then slowly introduce colour back into the mix until it looks "normal". Nothing worse than seeing a tv screen that is glowing with too much colour, i find it most annoying.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2019, 04:49:46 pm »
This is an excellent monitor for 4k uhd gaming.

Samsung C27RG5 27" Curved Gaming Monitor 240Hz https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T2Y5ZG7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uHsKDbGF6DAEX

What console is it precisely, it will make a difference as to what monitor you should get and therefore price.
If it's an Xbox is it a 360, an Xbox one, Xbox one S, Xbox one S 4k, or a one X?

Thanks for the reply - he has an Xbox one S. Will the one you picked out still be good.
[/size]

I'm not into games at all but my job does involve setting up high end monitors every day, and i would certainly agree that it would be easier and more cost effective to buy a new tv that can cover both areas.
TV's are not that expensive right now so you can get quite a lot for your money, don't go mad on size but if you can go bigger then do it. 

Look out for a proper 4K Smart tv that has built in wifi to future proof it, and try and look for the highest refresh rate possible for maximum effect.
Personally, i would avoid OLED because they have the possibility of burn in on the screen. It's unlikely but it only takes a game to be paused then forgotten about and if the tv itself doesn't deal with it then it can certainly happen. It happens on my monitors at work when they're out on long term dramas or features and the static ground glass markings on the cameras get burned into the screen. I can't even charge for it because it's the nature of the beast, but i will have to get the panel replaced which can cost a small fortune.
Any animated game will look great on a 4K screen but the higher refresh rate will mean less blurring or possible lagging for any higher speed stuff. 

Be aware that new tv's can be totally set up wrong for wherever you put it out of the box. On tv mode i will normally sit there for ages going through every single setting until i get it looking right, and not all of the advertised features may necessarily be a good thing, so literally try everything out.
Once the tv picture is sorted you'll probably find that that the gaming picture will be sorted out perfectly as well.
Little trick with the Chroma/Colour setting, take out the Colour until it's black & white, then slowly introduce colour back into the mix until it looks "normal". Nothing worse than seeing a tv screen that is glowing with too much colour, i find it most annoying.  :lol

Thanks again, now I'm confused but have to agree regarding too much colour.....it's like everyone is the offspring of David Dickinson and a Towie girl  :lol

Will certainly look into this but he doesn't watch any TV in his room - only gaming.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2019, 08:47:54 pm »
TV's are generally cheaper than monitors though, and 4K does make a very nice difference.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2019, 09:49:23 pm »
What's his favourite game?
I put in around 30 hours/week on Destiny

The monitor I pointed you to has a 4ms response time, most tv's are around 10 to 15ms even on game mode this can seriously impact the the players ability in PVP.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2019, 10:11:24 pm »

The monitor I pointed you to has a 4ms response time, most tv's are around 10 to 15ms even on game mode this can seriously impact the the players ability in PVP.

Currently Fortnite and he has just got Fifa 2020 which seems to cause him the most grief  - press X to shoot/pass and it lags.......I thought it was the server but he seems to think the monitor would help

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2019, 10:13:51 pm »
He has an XBox One S - just realised I buggered the cut n paste.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2019, 06:59:43 am »

Yeah, there are a lot of things to look out for when buying monitors or tv's. From experience though you can get a lot of hype and jargon over anything new and it simply doesn't live up to expectations until tried and tested, and vice versa. This is why a lot of the film crews ask me at work which monitor is best for them to buy themselves, but all i'm doing is giving them the feedback i've received from other crew members, as they use them in such varied conditions and like to tell me about all the pro's and con's.
On the downside, as i've also found out myself, there are thousands of tv's and monitors out there, that are firstly displayed badly in shops, and secondly you just don't know what you're really getting or if it will suit your needs until it's actually in the room where you're gonna use it.
It's not the greatest scenario, and why i'm not even going to try and look around to see what's out there for someone else because it's a minefield that sends me crazy even thinking about it.  :crazy

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2019, 10:57:58 am »
To be honest in my experience with gaming you cant go wrong with a decent Samsung tv. They have game mode which is more than good enough for consoles. I run a ps4 pro in full 4k on my current One and its absolutely spot on. Can pick them up relatively cheap now too

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2019, 07:09:46 pm »
Yeah Samsung are decent, we use them at work (game development)
Intentionally left blank