Date: 27-04-24  Time: 19:34 pm

Author Topic: LED's in clocks  (Read 1531 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
LED's in clocks
« on: 18 November 2014, 09:21:09 am »
Well, after nearly 2 weeks of having the LED's in the clocks I was a bit disappointed.  Initially they were great but the first bulb went after 4 days, I replaced it (I got 10 bulbs in my pack), the same one went again a few days later and on Friday night one started to blink on/off while stuck in the traffic during the M6 closure - eventually giving up the ghost a few miles from home, leaving me with a single clock light.  I replaced those but one of them wasn't working last night so this morning I put another in.

It wouldn't work, so tried another and that worked.  I then realised that the one that was now working was one of the original "blown" bulbs I had replaced earlier in the week.  I took a closer look and found that the T5 LED bulbs cause the plastic bulb holders to flex when they are inserted (well the ones I have do) because the plastic chassis is thicker than the std glass bulbs.  It's not much but you can see it, when it flexes it makes the little copper contacts lower than with normal bulbs so the contact on the PCB is less.  I bent them up slightly with a razor blade and now they all work, even the ones I thought had blown.

Will see how they last.
Intentionally left blank

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
Re: LED's in clocks
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2014, 10:46:58 am »
i went back to stock yamaha bulbs.

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2014, 03:41:02 pm »

Same here. The LEDs lasted about a week for me and were dimmer than a dim thing, so I just junked them and have no problems with my clocks now. And they were the super bright white ones too.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2014, 03:43:45 pm »
LED's are voltage sensitive. Probably hadn't blown, just weren't getting the volts they needed at the time.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2014, 03:54:04 pm »

Same here. The LEDs lasted about a week for me and were dimmer than a dim thing, so I just junked them and have no problems with my clocks now. And they were the super bright white ones too.

Ditto. Where are peeps getting the genuine Yam ones?