Date: 17-05-24  Time: 13:39 pm

Author Topic: Hunting at idle  (Read 1069 times)

steve pring

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - DRZ400E
    • View Profile
Hunting at idle
« on: 20 May 2014, 04:21:44 am »
Hi All

Never had a problem before with the engine/carbs and have had this bike from new (17,000 miles 2002) if fact I'm not even sure it is a problem, well not a major one as its never done this before.

Bike has had the 'full monty' done several years ago by Mike and has always run strong and still does.

Its just recently, on my last run, it started to hunt at idle revs between 1000 to 1350. Before this the idle was set at abt 1350 as stayed there fine.

Other symptoms are that it now hestiates when pulling from below 3000 in the higher gears and when pulling away in first at low revs.

Above 3000 its just as normal, well full monty normal and will pull smoothly all the way to the red line without any problem or hesitation. :)

I'm not sure if its a coincidence but I have just swapped my original bars for some Renthals so could there be something I have knocked/altered in the process that could account for this?

Bike as you can see doesn't get used that much but I'm sure it was fine on the May Day run to Hastings with the Renthals on.

Any ideas/suggestions Mike in particular or others in general would be gratefully put to the test.

Many thanks

Steve

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting at idle
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 06:13:48 am »
Replace plugs and cut 1/2" off the plug leads where they screw into the plug caps, Steve. 

Run some carb cleaner through the next couple of tanks of fuel, too.

Ride more. :)

steve pring

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - DRZ400E
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting at idle
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 07:21:03 am »
Thanks Mike.
I changed the plugs to Iridium a couple of years ago but will also have a look at this.
Agreed, I should get out more and will also run some cleaner through as well
Steve