Date: 30-04-24  Time: 19:07 pm

Author Topic: Ride with me near Sidmouth  (Read 1452 times)

kriszzzz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Ride with me near Sidmouth
« on: 05 August 2015, 11:16:00 am »
Hi, anyone in the Sidmouth area want to go out on a ride? Itching to go, but I don't know this area (recently moved here).

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
Re: Ride with me near Sidmouth
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2015, 12:46:20 pm »
Hi, no longer a Fazer rider (now on Versys) and a miserable git who likes riding on his own but some good roads near you are the A3052 towards Lyme and onto Bridport ( West Bay ) but busy in the summer

I tend to pick up the A30 the other side of Exeter and ride some of the roads around Whiddon Down / Okehampton which are usually a lot quieter , Also gives easy access to Dartmoor

This group often have ride outs and are far more sociable than me

http://www.southwestbikers.com

All the best

Jonesy

kriszzzz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2015, 12:54:21 pm »
Hi Jonesy, thanks for the tips. I've discovered the A3052 and it is a great bit of road to Lyme. I'm gonna take a look around the Okehampton area, not been that way yet. Cheers

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2015, 02:04:20 pm »
Grew up round that area mid 1960s, School at Ottery St Mary, Worked Exeter 1967-73. Passed bike test Exeter 1965. Know all the roads BUT now live in Birmingham. Used to visit my mum in Sidmouth til she became too old/frail & moved to my sisters on Lizard in Cornwall. Every time I come down M5 I  feel I should be turning off at Exeter services onto A3052!
We used to watch the RAC Rally come past the Cat & Fiddle @ Clyst St Mary-through what used to be a bit of a chicane!

Bridge Motorcycles at Marsh Barton a friendly & helpful bunch, sometimes break journey back from sisters & call in to look at bikes,drink coffee. :lol

jonesthesteam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently Fazerless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2015, 03:42:17 pm »
No worries, I am also an Ottery boy (still here), but didn't go to Kings in Ottery cos I was thick and failed the 11 plus so ended up at Sidmouth School  :)

Another good run is to take the Dunkeswell road off the A30 at Honiton, follow the road up the hill past Smeatharpe (fast quiet road but a big bumpy), drop down into Taunton and then pick up the A38 towards Wellington all the way to Tiverton (Tivvy to the locals) from there you can backroad it to Cullompton / Exeter along the Broadclyst road (watch out for speed traps), makes for a nice couple of hours loop.

Jonesy

Davidjw

• DAS Born Again
  • thought i would do it , so here I am !
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - push bike !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2015, 07:29:48 pm »
Just come back from a week down that way , in the car though , found the B3157 also a good road , will look to pop down on my bike at some point
its only me !   :-)

kriszzzz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2015, 12:10:38 am »
Thanks for all the tips guys :) just need dry roads now

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2015, 11:56:39 pm »
I'm in Exeter and don't really like the roads round Sidmouth TBH, not a lot of interest and far too much traffic. What are you looking for, quiet roads where you can move on a pace and nail some bends or a slower pace with scenery? What kind of distance are you thinking?

PM me if you like, I can always be persuaded to go out for a ride.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2015, 11:59:16 pm by PieEater »