Date: 19-05-24  Time: 08:54 am

Author Topic: Questions about flying  (Read 2038 times)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Questions about flying
« on: 04 November 2013, 12:38:52 pm »
Was thinking of getting a kindle, but then figured I could use my phone instead. So the 1st question - can you use a phone on a plane?

Second, has anyone put a rucksack in in the hold (or cargo or whatever 'checked-in luggage' is called)? Is there a way to secure the straps so they don't get damaged?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about flying
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2013, 12:50:36 pm »
AFAIK you can only use a phone on a plane if it has an "airplane" mode, which has to be enabled. this was a while ago right enough,and so thigns could have changed.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2013, 12:50:46 pm »
you can use your phone on the plane but only if you put it into flight mode, you cannot use the phone at all during take off and landing!
so the procedure is to put your phone into flight mode, then turn off for take off, then turn back on (still in flight mode) whilst flying.
cant really help with securing rucksack straps other than tighten them all up and ensure evry clip is fastened together

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2013, 12:53:08 pm »
Some transatlantic and American flights now ALLOW mobile phones to be used...

paulkemp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2013, 12:55:19 pm »
Normally, passengers have to switch of all electrical devices until they leave the plane, however, British Airways has just announced that, from July 1, passengers will be able to use their phones and gadgets to check emails and make phone calls and texts after the aircraft has left the runway.Look out for the announcement from cabin crew from this July and onwards, explaining that customers can use their phones when the plane is off the runway.This means that if your plane is delayed at the airport for any reason, you may be able to contact people to let them know, while on board the flight.The new decision has come about after the airline put their case forward to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). British Airways demonstrated that customers would not affect safety regulations when using their devices off of the runway.A draft report by The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), has also recommended easing up on the restrictions surrounding the use of electronic equipment on planes.British Airways will be the first European carrier to offer the use of phones off the runway before takeoff and after landing.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2013, 01:01:14 pm »
I was listening to music on my phone on my flight back from the Canaries, and no-one batted an eyelid. To be fair, the use of phones on aircraft thing has been tested repeatedly - the phones that might possibly intefere with aircraft telecommunications (NOTE: Not controls, as the myths state) are Satphones. "Normal" phones on cellular networks transmit on an entirely different frequency set.

Yep, done a backpack in the hold. I just slung mine in, no problems. But if you're worried, the easiest solution is to tie a bit of string around the outside, and tuck the straps in so they don't flop around. And if you don't mind readjusting them at the other end, tightening them as much as possible reduces flop too.  :)
The Deef's apprentice

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2013, 02:46:39 pm »
I was listening to music on my phone on my flight back from the Canaries, and no-one batted an eyelid. To be fair, the use of phones on aircraft thing has been tested repeatedly - the phones that might possibly intefere with aircraft telecommunications (NOTE: Not controls, as the myths state) are Satphones. "Normal" phones on cellular networks transmit on an entirely different frequency set.

Dunno what testing you're referring to, but a friend of mine, who is currently a captain with jet2 (and previously with easyJet, bmi etc) says they know when a mobile is being used in the aircraft, as they get interference through their communities, similar to what you sometimes get through a car radio (or our conference phones at work!) when the mobile is close to it.

Nowt dangerous, no issue with controls, just inconvenient, but mobiles DO affect him!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2013, 02:47:35 pm »
Through their comms, Poxy auto correct...

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2013, 02:53:32 pm »

Dunno what testing you're referring to, but a friend of mine, who is currently a captain with jet2 (and previously with easyJet, bmi etc) says they know when a mobile is being used in the aircraft, as they get interference through their communities, similar to what you sometimes get through a car radio (or our conference phones at work!) when the mobile is close to it.

Nowt dangerous, no issue with controls, just inconvenient, but mobiles DO affect him!

Huh.

I'm not saying you're wrong (or your friend is), but due to the difference in frequency (which is quite high, might I add), inteference should be impossible. ATC use frequencies of the order of 100MHz, phone frequencies (at the lower end) start at 800MHz.
The Deef's apprentice

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2013, 03:02:37 pm »
Now to cut through all the bollix.

Phones etc CAN interfere with aircraft systems but it is more the constant "clicking" the pilots will hear in their headsets as 200 phones try to lock onto the phone signal at 30,000ft. Its off-putting and therefore dangerous on take off and landing which is why they say turn them right off for those phases of the flight. As long as airplane mode is activated before take off you can turn them back on after the seatbelt sign has gone out and use them as e-books or music players etc but all wireless comms (GSM, Phone, WiFi etc) must be off. As mentioned previously some yank airlines do allow them on now but......

bbrown1664 (aircraft avionics engineer (retired))
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2013, 03:04:41 pm »
Now to cut through all the bollix.

Phones etc CAN interfere with aircraft systems but it is more the constant "clicking" the pilots will hear in their headsets as 200 phones try to lock onto the phone signal at 30,000ft. Its off-putting and therefore dangerous on take off and landing which is why they say turn them right off for those phases of the flight. As long as airplane mode is activated before take off you can turn them back on after the seatbelt sign has gone out and use them as e-books or music players etc but all wireless comms (GSM, Phone, WiFi etc) must be off. As mentioned previously some yank airlines do allow them on now but......

bbrown1664 (aircraft avionics engineer (retired))

What are your thoughts on the BA thing then, BBrown? In favour, or against?
The Deef's apprentice

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2013, 03:58:20 pm »
Fraser - get a kindle.  For your use it'd be best.  The e-ink is much kinder on your eyes.  The battery will last for weeks, not hours.

I use my galaxy S2 kindle app.  It is OK but the screen eats through battery and for a lot of reading (say during a 3 month backpacking trip) battery will be quite useful.  If you can get the older kindles with free 3G around the world you are laughing!  But you can go to coffee shops or hostels to download new titles.

My mum has a kindle for their holiday / retired life.  It is good.

As for the backpack - I still reckon a wheely case will be easier for you.  But a roll of cling film will sort the straps if you can't tie them up sufficiently.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 04 November 2013, 04:53:15 pm »
Christo, on a well shielded system, no interference occurs but as with everything, shielding isn't perfect and radio waves can get through causing the interference that Richfzs mentioned.  Like I said, it CAN affect things but its not guaranteed.

Lets put it another way. When your riding your bike and entering a really busy junction with traffic coming from all directions and only a small gap to filter through whilst being forced to listen to your sat nav for last second changes in direction, do you want something to start clicking randomly in your ear? That's effectively what the pilots have to put up with when trying to land at a busy airfield as all the phones on the plane suddenly realise that they can and will try to talk to the local telephone masts.

I think they should ban phones on trains too just to save me from having to listen to their conversations, nowt to do with safety though.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2013, 06:45:41 pm »
Not only will the phones start trying to connect to the network, but they will continually fail due to being able to see too many base stations.  This results in them continually trying to log on so creating yet more crap in the pilots ears.  I often work on top of tower blocks in London and a mobile is useless unless I go and hide inside a tank room to shield the phone from too many signals.  It's even worse if you are in a country other than where your phone is registered as it tries to log on to every network as well because of the roaming agreements.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 November 2013, 06:59:24 pm »
This could happen :lol

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: 04 November 2013, 09:29:37 pm »
One of the ways that the Americans are handling it is the same as on the channel ferries. They use a base station inside the aircraft that floods the area with a strong signal that means the roaming phones connect to that and don't try to connect to the real networks as they are flooded out.

OnWave anyone?