Date: 28-04-24  Time: 16:50 pm

Author Topic: sidestand play  (Read 2299 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
sidestand play
« on: 23 October 2013, 04:26:26 pm »
My sidestand seems to have quite a bit of lateral play at it's pivot. When I park up and put the sidestand down, it "gives" slightly so that the bike rests at a steeper angle. Everything seems secure and it's been like this since I bought the bike 3yrs ago, but wondered if this is happening because it's excessively worn or whether it's a design feature.

Is this normal?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 04:29:25 pm by Fuzzy »

jason1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: sidestand play
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2013, 04:29:25 pm »
Mines the same , also mine didnt lock out correctly . So ive replaced the springs = sorted. Stand still kicks out some , but secure .

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2013, 04:32:31 pm »
Cheers for that, puts my mind at ease.

Noticed my friend's ER6 stand had near to no movement recently so it got me thinking!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2013, 05:10:50 pm »
Just had mine off to respray and it fits over a shaft with a thread inside and the shaft is longer than it needs to be so that when you tighten up the bolt on the end it stops against the shaft end first -I suppose so that it inpossible to over tighten and make it stiff to operate. So there is play but there shouldnt be loads, put it on the centre stand and pull down the side half way and look at the play I think i may have about 1/2 inch at the road flat pad end.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2013, 05:24:33 pm »
Just had mine off to respray and it fits over a shaft with a thread inside and the shaft is longer than it needs to be so that when you tighten up the bolt on the end it stops against the shaft end first -I suppose so that it inpossible to over tighten and make it stiff to operate. So there is play but there shouldnt be loads, put it on the centre stand and pull down the side half way and look at the play I think i may have about 1/2 inch at the road flat pad end.

Respraying a sidestand! Now there's a man who loves his bike :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2013, 05:32:30 pm »
you got that right !

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2013, 06:47:33 pm »
Just been out to check, sidestand seems to have more movement than yours.

Squatting (what a lovely image) facing the side of the bike, with the sidestand extended, I can pull it towards me about an inch at least (measured at the foot end). This amount of play is actually present at any point of extension, whether half way or even when fully retracted.

Maybe over the years the grit and crap that covers the bike in winter has got in there and worn down the sidestand pivot? Seems unlikely as it's not constantly moving, but I recently had to replace my gear lever and shaft/peg holder due to excessive wear.

Maybe something not quite right. Will have to take the bloody thing off just to be sure. If only I knew a foccer nearby to compare with  :'(
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 08:00:14 pm by Fuzzy »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2013, 07:32:44 pm »
Yeah, mine does that...

I suppose you could shim it if you really want to but,, it's not bothering me (yet!)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2013, 07:48:56 pm »
Mine did that also and I ended up replacing it with a NOS one I found on ebay for £20. It is just wear on moving part of the stand.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2013, 07:59:25 pm »
I think it might be worn a lot if that's the case. I've had several other bikes but never noticed it as much as on my Fazer.

Short dogbones and this make it lean a bit too much for my liking so I think I'll look into replacing it, instead of cleaning up & painting the current one (you're not the only one fazersharp!)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2013, 11:51:35 am »
I will have another look for you but it is the same play at any angle- that is right. Somtimes depending upon the lay of the land and if its windy I think that mine does not lean enough

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2014, 08:46:09 pm »
Thread from the dead time folks!

Did anybody find out if this 1" of play is standard?

I had my bike cut out this morning because the side stand wouldn't retract fully. The reason being it was full of road grime.

So, having got back from work, I pulled it apart and cleaned it. It was so full of crap that it now has a full inch of play at the foot end too, which makes me wonder if I have a washer missing maybe.

I have the 12mm bolt, the wide washer, the plate that holds the spring, then the stand itself which has all the play. Is anything missing?
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2014, 08:48:02 pm »
Gotta admit, my fazers had a lot of play in the sidestands. I think it's normal.???
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2014, 08:48:53 pm »
Nope, that's it. The play is normal but gets worse with wear. I replaced my stand with a low mileage one and that improved it. I also tried some thin washers but even the thinnest prevented the side stand for moving.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2014, 08:49:52 pm »
That's reassuring guys, cheers.  :)
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

zacckos

• Cager in Training
  • still learning
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - I walk :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2014, 10:51:08 am »
When warming my bike this morning I realized the side stand was being a little resistive in being in the down/out position .... didn't think much of it   but when I got to work and put the side stand down it sort of disintergrated and just hang there being limp now it wont stay in the up/in position does anyone know how to install these things or is there an instructional topic somewhere on the forum I have tried to search but I can see one