Date: 28-04-24  Time: 15:35 pm

Author Topic: I know its American and all that but WOW  (Read 3306 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I know its American and all that but WOW
« on: 11 February 2017, 05:42:00 pm »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: I know its American and all that but WOW
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2017, 06:10:09 pm »
That is pretty damn impressive.  :eek
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2017, 06:42:44 pm »
Flyover? Thought it was a stadium. Oh, they mean flypast. Bloody yanks raping our language again  :rolleyes

Most impressive one I ever saw was the flypast - think they call it a Balbo? - at Duxford's Flying Legends air show, made up of Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs etc etc. Must have been 60 or more aircraft.

When I was on 230 sqn (half past two sqn  :lol ), we had a lift from RAF Gutersloh: 230 and 33 sqn Pumas, and 18 and 7 sqn Chinooks. Our own sqn actually got 12 cabs serviceable in one go for that one; unheard of! Plus about the same from 33, and must have been about 10 Chinooks. Man, the noise when you were stood on the airfield! Don't know if any of the pilots had "Flight of the Valkyrie" playing over the intercom  :lol
« Last Edit: 11 February 2017, 06:43:18 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2017, 06:48:03 pm »
Flyover? Thought it was a stadium. Oh, they mean flypast. Bloody yanks raping our language again  :rolleyes

Most impressive one I ever saw was the flypast - think they call it a Balbo? - at Duxford's Flying Legends air show, made up of Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs etc etc. Must have been 60 or more aircraft.

When I was on 230 sqn (half past two sqn  :lol ), we had a lift from RAF Gutersloh: 230 and 33 sqn Pumas, and 18 and 7 sqn Chinooks. Our own sqn actually got 12 cabs serviceable in one go for that one; unheard of! Plus about the same from 33, and must have been about 10 Chinooks. Man, the noise when you were stood on the airfield! Don't know if any of the pilots had "Flight of the Valkyrie" playing over the intercom  :lol

Where i work is under the flight path for helicopters going to and from Northolt, and you certainly know when a Chinook is approaching.
Had a few Ospreys recently as well, they have a distinctive sound.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2017, 06:55:40 pm »

Actually no I dont think they do, I think that they are correct because it is a Flyover. In this country we don't usually have them because they are not allowed to fly - over the crowd so here it would be a fly - past - as in- not over. 

My best one was at an air show held each year at a local club airstrip, we used to go up there on our pushbikes and get a free show from standing on the road that run along the end of the runway and concord flew directly overhead at about 200 feet (probably higher ) but it was low and fecking LOUD, what a buz that was.
Used to go there and watch the Vulcan display too
« Last Edit: 11 February 2017, 07:02:23 pm by fazersharp »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2017, 06:59:57 pm »

Where i work is under the flight path for helicopters going to and from Northolt, and you certainly know when a Chinook is approaching.
Yeh we get them flying over here qutie a lot and my hearing is crap but I seem to be able to hear that deep low unmistakable blade thud way before anyone else in the house does.
Bit like Radar in M.A.S.H 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2017, 07:01:35 pm »

Yeh we get them flying over here qutie a lot and my hearing is crap but I seem to be able to hear that deep low unmistakable blade thud way before anyone else in the house does.
Bit like Radar in M.A.S.H

Our building shakes, that's how we know.  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2017, 07:05:53 pm »

I think the loudest one I ever heard was a Vulcan taking off from RAF Brize Norton (I lived virtually on its perimeter before I moved up here), going immediately into a full vertical climb. That thing shook the whole house, ground, everything. Awesome. Don't know if they also believe 'loud pipes save lives'  :lol

At Gutersloh, Harriers were the most annoying. There were two sqns there, 3 and 4F. One of them had a hover pad over on our side of the airfield (inconsiderate bastards), and if you were out doing a service or whatever on our pan, and they were testing one of their aircraft there, you had to shout at the guy standing next to you to be heard, and of course, it being a hover pad, they weren't going anywhere in a hurry.

I also remember living underneath the flight path of flypasts for the Queen's birthday when I was a lad (possibly one reason I ended up joining the RAF). Vulcans, Victors, Jaguars, Phantoms, Harriers* (those were the days!) - every year. We used to go and stand in the garden to watch them, always right on time.

*Edit: I forgot Buccaneers.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2017, 07:11:46 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2017, 07:44:03 pm »
I love a good flypast and ( if I do say so myself ) this has to be the best photo of a fazer ever, apart from the cracking ones from CrispyHedge man.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2017, 08:31:05 pm »
I love a good flypast and ( if I do say so myself ) this has to be the best photo of a fazer ever, apart from the cracking ones from CrispyHedge man.

Damn would have been a great entry in the FOC picture challenge haha

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2017, 08:54:01 pm »
It went in under your bike and something great British.

Time you had a crack at the challenge dont ya think

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2017, 09:25:08 pm »

Very loud when they break the sound barrier.
Or in your case, the car park barrier  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2017, 09:35:33 pm »
Very good, well done.

That is good.  :rollin
 ;)

Which hurts more -- hedges or car park barriers     

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2017, 09:56:14 pm »

As soon as the challenge involves a picture outside a tattoo studio or parked in a garage then I'll be straight on it haha I don't take the poor thing anywhere else 😥😥

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2017, 10:08:27 pm »

As soon as the challenge involves a picture outside a tattoo studio or parked in a garage then I'll be straight on it haha I don't take the poor thing anywhere else 😥😥
Tattoo studio it is then next time I win. Actually that a good one never been done before 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2017, 10:13:42 pm »
Here is another good one  -they just knew those after burners would look good a night.

WE don't do anything like that over here, so boring health and safety. And risk of the noise upsetting some lordships spaniels during supper.     
« Last Edit: 11 February 2017, 10:14:54 pm by fazersharp »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2017, 08:26:48 am »
There's a lad at work who's a bit of a plane nut, apparently there's a valley in Wales he and other plane nuts regularly go to for flypasts. It's got to be a RAF training venue. I'll get the name of the place tomorrow at work and post it here.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2017, 09:49:54 am »

I think the loudest one I ever heard was a Vulcan taking off from RAF Brize Norton (I lived virtually on its perimeter before I moved up here), going immediately into a full vertical climb. That thing shook the whole house, ground, everything. Awesome. Don't know if they also believe 'loud pipes save lives'  :lol

At Gutersloh, Harriers were the most annoying. There were two sqns there, 3 and 4F. One of them had a hover pad over on our side of the airfield (inconsiderate bastards), and if you were out doing a service or whatever on our pan, and they were testing one of their aircraft there, you had to shout at the guy standing next to you to be heard, and of course, it being a hover pad, they weren't going anywhere in a hurry.

I also remember living underneath the flight path of flypasts for the Queen's birthday when I was a lad (possibly one reason I ended up joining the RAF). Vulcans, Victors, Jaguars, Phantoms, Harriers* (those were the days!) - every year. We used to go and stand in the garden to watch them, always right on time.

*Edit: I forgot Buccaneers.

We got to constantly see and hear the Typhoons taking off at Northolt as well, when they were on standby for any trouble associated with the 2012 London Olympics.
Those things don't hang about, and have an awesome sound to them.
And they used to do this vertical rise before turning away and we'd see the sun light up the whole under carriage of the plane. Around the same time we'd get groups of helicopters flying over us at high speed in close quarters carrying teams of special forces, they always travelled much quicker than any others that went by us.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2017, 10:54:11 am »
There's a lad at work who's a bit of a plane nut, apparently there's a valley in Wales he and other plane nuts regularly go to for flypasts. It's got to be a RAF training venue. I'll get the name of the place tomorrow at work and post it here.
Something I've meant to do for a long time and never yet got round to is visit a few spots along that training route.
https://machloop.co.uk/

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2017, 11:29:59 am »
Something I've meant to do for a long time and never yet got round to is visit a few spots along that training route.
https://machloop.co.uk/
Yep, that's the one.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2017, 01:24:15 pm »

And they used to do this vertical rise before turning away and we'd see the sun light up the whole under carriage of the plane.
I was at Coningsby and they very kindly provide a tarmacked viewing area at the end of the runway and there was a chap there with a sanner radio and he said "watch that one, he has just asked permission for a Performance Departure" and that was what that was -a very shot run and then yanked straight up and then over at the top very high     

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2017, 03:16:10 pm »

And they used to do this vertical rise before turning away and we'd see the sun light up the whole under carriage of the plane.
I was at Coningsby and they very kindly provide a tarmacked viewing area at the end of the runway and there was a chap there with a sanner radio and he said "watch that one, he has just asked permission for a Performance Departure" and that was what that was -a very shot run and then yanked straight up and then over at the top very high   

I did wonder why they needed to go up the way that they did, obviously part showboating but also a show of force.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 February 2017, 03:34:27 pm »

I did a week at Coningsby with the ATC when I were't lad. Battle of Britain Memorial Flight was based there at the time, and we got to clamber around in the Lancaster. Also got to muck in on aircraft washes on Phantoms. Me and a mate would stand by the runway in the evenings, watching Phantoms take off in pairs, on reheat. Those were bloody loud too. The Phantom was always my favourite fast jet. They just oozed sheer power from every rivet.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2017, 04:45:58 pm »

I remember once when I lived in the UK (Wirral) I was always over in N Wales .I was on the A 470? and stopped for a piss, there is me with my John Thomas hanging out looking down at the cows in the field below, well  feck me two RAF jets screamed through below me. Okay so I had a dump at the same time. :'(   

On another occasion I was playing golf at Prestatyn golf club. I was playing out of my socks. I  knew for sure I had won the competition as I was 18'' from the hole and putting for a birdie. A lad standing next to green asked me what I was going to card if I made the putt, I said 73 gross and as I was a 10 handicapper game over. As I swung the putter forward two RAF jets flew right overhead and went into a vertical climb right above me. I knocked the fecking ball about 6 feet past the hole and 3 putted it after that, lost the comp by 1 shot, fecking RAF twats. I have never forgiven them for that.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2017, 07:54:53 pm »
I live near north Weald airfield , not really any jets but regularly get  a spitfire or a mustang or hurricane flying over and they do dislplays over the gunpowder mills which we can watch from the front of the house.
Jets are cool but nothing beats the sound of a spitfire Rolls Royce merlin engine and supercharger giving it the beans  :)