Date: 01-05-24  Time: 04:27 am

Author Topic: Fitting some hand guards  (Read 5465 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting some hand guards
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2017, 08:53:15 pm »
Ok out today dry but cold and had a purposeful look and feel at the way I grip and its mainly with my palm and thumb and from my knuckles to my fingertips I don't really touch the grips. Baring in mind my shit circulation in that area and my actual hands don't get cold I still don't see how heated grips will help me. I don't even use my hands much what with clutch-less changing and 2 finger braking with braided lines, I have tried wiggling my fingers around to see if that helps.
Perhaps I will just stick to short 1/2 - 1 hour blasts in the winter, after all I don't have to ride when its cold as I don't commute - but then again if I was communing I don't think my hands would get so cold as they would get used more with stop and starts and less wind blast.

So you have different hands to everyone else?
You don't touch the grips when riding? That's clever!  :lol

Heat travels, if your palms are being blasted with heat then the attached fingers will obviously get some warmth as well.
No like I said my fingers from knuckles to the tips do not really touch the grips its thumb, palms and half my fingers, and warming my palms up wont help my finger cause I have got crap circulation.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2017, 09:02:16 pm »
Ok out today dry but cold and had a purposeful look and feel at the way I grip and its mainly with my palm and thumb and from my knuckles to my fingertips I don't really touch the grips. Baring in mind my shit circulation in that area and my actual hands don't get cold I still don't see how heated grips will help me. I don't even use my hands much what with clutch-less changing and 2 finger braking with braided lines, I have tried wiggling my fingers around to see if that helps.
Perhaps I will just stick to short 1/2 - 1 hour blasts in the winter, after all I don't have to ride when its cold as I don't commute - but then again if I was communing I don't think my hands would get so cold as they would get used more with stop and starts and less wind blast.

So you have different hands to everyone else?
You don't touch the grips when riding? That's clever!  :lol

Heat travels, if your palms are being blasted with heat then the attached fingers will obviously get some warmth as well.
No like I said my fingers from knuckles to the tips do not really touch the grips its thumb, palms and half my fingers, and warming my palms up wont help my finger cause I have got crap circulation.

It doesn't cook your blood, your hands will get hot inside the gloves creating warm air.
Stop making excuses, i'm fairly sure we all use the handlebars very similarly, we have to use the front brake and clutch too.

"...The new generation of Dr Bike Heated Grips are essential for colder weather and feature fully adjustable temperature control. The unique expandable grips are constructed from anti-split anti-perish rubber and fit easily on to 22MM bars and include a rainproof button control system, which is easy to use with gloves on. These are suitable for use on motorcycles as well as snow mobiles and ATVs and can heat up to 55 degrees in temperature to keep your hands nice and toasty! With a unique expandable design and fool-proof wiring loom they are extremely east to fit (please read instructions carefully) and the drain on your battery is minimal (up to 1.5 amps)..."

« Last Edit: 17 February 2017, 05:47:40 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 February 2017, 06:00:28 am »
The reason they get that hot is because on a sub zero day they also have to deal with the cold metal of the handlebar, so as you can imagine on an average days temperature these will fry your hands through thick gloves if the setting is too high, but luckily there are lots of settings that can be easily changed without removing your gloves.
I just stuck the little control unit to my right side fairing infill panel using velcro so that it has more protection from bad weather and is out of the way but still very easy to access, but it is waterproof anyway. 

Only main recommendation is that you DO NOT wire straight to the battery, you wire so that it cuts out when the ignition is turned off.
At those sort of temperatures you don't wanna be leaving them switched on by mistake.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 February 2017, 10:21:00 am »
Just thought that te reason that I do not grip all the way round is because my grips are thinner than the fatter heated ones, either that or you have short stubby little fingers.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 February 2017, 01:03:24 pm »
Just thought that te reason that I do not grip all the way round is because my grips are thinner than the fatter heated ones, either that or you have short stubby little fingers.

If anything, if the heated grips are a millimetre or two thicker then that would be better on the hands, although it's not something i've ever noticed or even thought about.
To me they're just grips, i don't think they are oversized in any way?

SteveMc278

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 March 2017, 08:39:10 pm »
....just to add to this for original question-

FZS600s don’t lend themselves to hand guards but it can be done...….a TDM or Versys for example or other bikes like them are easier as the front fairing is narrower.
So that your Fazer hand guards don’t foul the fairing when turning the bars you’ll want to buy some slim...ish hand guards as your starting point. Once you’ve fitted them and fine tuned the position - dremmel or cut any remaining part of the hand guard which makes contact with the fairing when turning the bars.

What you get in return is gloves that will dry out more quickly after riding through heavy rain. From my experience the benefits of stopping wind chill on your fingers aren't as good as one would expect but it certainly helps…..and depends how cold it is etc.

The other issue is that they change big time the styling/appearance of the Fazer but if hand guards are what you want then you have to get used to that.
The road to success is always under construction.....
Happiness is finding you have another gear left....
If there's no solution then its not a problem.