Date: 01-05-24  Time: 05:08 am

Author Topic: valve clearance  (Read 2492 times)

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
valve clearance
« on: 03 October 2013, 07:29:17 pm »
I have got 25,000mls on the clock of my gen one,should i be thinking about getting the valve clearances checked?I am considering having the meta alarm removed as well it is eleven years old.I seem to remember reading somewhere on this site that they are prone to failure!Constructive comments would be much appreciated  :(

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: valve clearance
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2013, 08:12:19 pm »
Mine's getting towards that mileage now, and although I'm not overly concerned about it being done bang on the recommended mileage, I think I will want to get them done before I start putting higher mileages on again next summer. My previous thous all went way over that mileage without a check, and there were no problems, so it's not something you have to rush to get done now, but I'd say it does look better in your service book if you ever come to sell, if everything is stamped as per recommendeds.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2013, 08:24:41 pm »
I got mine checked at 26000 miles for peace of mind and the stamp in the book , shop around and you will save a load of money , if you want to DIY , there was a post on here how to  a couple of months back .

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2013, 09:04:34 pm »
I had mine done at 29,000 and they were perfect. All within tolerance. I wasn't going to bother but got a good deal. On all my other bikes I've had it done at 32,000 and they've all been ok too

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2013, 09:25:15 am »
I have got 25,000mls on the clock of my gen one,should i be thinking about getting the valve clearances checked?I am considering having the meta alarm removed as well it is eleven years old.I seem to remember reading somewhere on this site that they are prone to failure!Constructive comments would be much appreciated  :(
I have no idea about the valve clearances but the general opinion seems to be that if you can get a good deal it is worth having it done around that kind of mileage. With regards to the alarm, if you have a Meta 357T you can buy a 'plug & play' upgrade for around £150 that comes with a new alarm unit, the conversion loom, a new PIN card code, 2 x remotes and a new installation certificate. The new one is the M357T V2 version. It will mount exactly where your old one mounts and plugs straight in to your existing wiring if it was all wired up correctly in the first place. Lots of folk say its better to remove alarms based on them having problems with them. Although I can see the logic in that I personally think its worth having an alarm for that little peace of mind. If your old alarm has lasted over 10 years with no problems then there is no reason why you should have any trouble with the upgraded one.  :)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2013, 10:53:31 am »
Thanks for all the advice,I,ll have the valves done in the spring of '14,as for the alarm i will look into having an upgrade,cheers folks :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2013, 11:45:48 am »
I have meta 357T V2 on all my bikes the oldest one being 10 years old next month
If they are fitted properly they rarely give trouble. Any I have brought to me with problems were due to being badly fitted by the so called professionals. The only issue I ever had was the key fob not working after non stop torrential rain from Pembroke ferry to Bristol, when it dried out it was fine again. My wife always has the spare keys and fob, so it was not really a problem. It happened again returning from the NW200 and I disarmed it using the code. It was fine again once it dried out.
If you keep an eye on ebay they come up now and then at reasonable prices. I bought 2 brand new ones for €150.
I would recommend checking the valves at the recommended milage as they can be out of adjustment. I serviced a Gen 1 Fazer1000  recently with 26000 miles and had to change 8 shims. I have checked others at 50000 miles with out changing any.

Gibboian

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2013, 11:55:53 pm »
I had that same meta alarm on my previous bike and it went flat (internal battery) on its 10th birthday. I used a pinout diagram to wire it out and removed the unit. I wish I had done it earlier, no more flat batteries ever! Don't replace the alarm, it's not worth it.

I just bought a Gen1 last week. I wanted a standard bike. Yours has great mods but they are your thing,  new owners won't appreciate them or expect to pay for them. Sell the bits separately. IMHO.