Date: 17-05-24  Time: 05:05 am

Author Topic: Ignition on crackling noise?  (Read 8898 times)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition on crackling noise?
« Reply #25 on: 19 February 2016, 03:25:23 pm »
I take there is no harm in removing the servo? Just eating my precious electricity otherwise...

And I've never come across anything electrical where that noise is a good thing!

I assume you don't need the servo because you've got no EXUP valve for it to operate?  If so, you can remove the servo but you'll get the 7k rpm tacho error code continuously as a result.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 February 2016, 04:20:56 pm »
Did you try what I said weeks ago. Turn ignition on and listen for crackling sound. Leave ignition on and spray electrical lube or wd 40 if you don't have electrical spray and see if the noise changes. If it does its ignition.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2016, 04:31:40 pm by nickodemon »
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

windscreenman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2016, 06:37:44 pm »
It's the grease inside it open it up if you don't believe me
It's very sticky grease that crackles as the cogs unmesh even if you spray coppers lip in there it still makes a noise that's what I did and it made no difference at all nothing to be concerned about its NORMAL :rollin
This is plastic parts unmeshing  and not an electrical problem you are all reading too much into it take the 4 screws out and open it have a look then chill out !!! :grumble
I didn't hear it at all until I removed the ais off mine I guess everyone is just more sensative to it cos now you can hear it it must be fooked well it's not  :stop
My exup works very well and yes it crackles from the servo  it ain't broke and it dont need fixing you will waste your money trying to silence it   :groan
« Last Edit: 19 February 2016, 06:53:21 pm by windscreenman »
Objects in your mirrors may be stupider than they look
Previous bikes ,Xj600,Fazer600,Tiger900 steamer,cbf1000,fazer1000 my favourite

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 February 2016, 10:35:51 am »
I disconnected my servo earlier as I also have the crackling noise, and it sure enough it stopped. Definitely not a healthy sound, I don't like it. Anyway if everyone reckons its normal then I'll leave it. One question, is the servo supposed to do a cycle every time the ignition is switched on? I've greased up the valve, checked the cables and that end is all good. I've oiled the cables at the servo end, but when I switch the ignition on nothing moves, just crackles??
Turn off the engine with the kill switch, now turn off the ignition.
Turn on the ignition is the noise gone?
If so it is the exup servo

Yep, tried that and it's definitely the servo motor. I was mainly worried because I hadn't noticed it before, but it seemed to happen after I'd done the AIS removal mod so was worried I'd done something wrong! All good now, I'm happy   :)

windscreenman

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 February 2016, 08:39:23 pm »
I was exactly the same only noticed the noise after ais removal being paranoid I heard the crackling and thought what the feck is that it didn't do that before  anyway not to worry if you want to check the operation of the servo lift the tank them torn the servo pulley by hand to open the valve then swith ignition on the servo should return to original point if it does servo and valve work my bike goes like a rocket now I've done the ivans too all set for sunny days now
Ride safe
Objects in your mirrors may be stupider than they look
Previous bikes ,Xj600,Fazer600,Tiger900 steamer,cbf1000,fazer1000 my favourite

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 February 2016, 09:24:30 am »
Excellent, I've booked in with Mike for the Full Monty in April so I can't wait now, roll on the Spring/Summer!