Date: 21-05-24  Time: 03:55 am

Author Topic: WARNING windows 10 will auto install  (Read 2507 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
WARNING windows 10 will auto install
« on: 05 February 2016, 08:50:47 pm »
« Last Edit: 05 February 2016, 09:16:25 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: WARNING windows 10 will auto install
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2016, 08:03:14 am »
Mate, it's not gonna hurt anything, it'll just speed the process up when you finally succumb and realise you're gonna have to download it.
Probably around the time everyone else is on Windows 15.  :pokefun :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2016, 10:52:24 am »
If I were Microsoft, I'd do anything to get people to install Win 10. For free.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2016, 11:07:21 am »
some people are on a data use and may end up paying after this 3GB + lump has downloaded.
Also I have some older software that will not run on 10 and some expensive to replace hardware, so then it will create a whole load of my time and money to source replacement stuff.
looks like you were wrong in saying download it now because in the future it will be free - quite the opposite Is happening is anyone thinking why they are forcing it on people for free why do they want everyone to use it --sounds like skynet to me. The CIA are behind it and it gathers all your info and sends it every-month.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2016, 11:09:18 am »
Jeez... that 6GB file would make a big hole in my monthly download limit. As for it not hurting anything: yep, nobody has ever had a problem caused by an OS upgrade. :rollin

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2016, 12:45:36 pm »
some people are on a data use and may end up paying after this 3GB + lump has downloaded.
Also I have some older software that will not run on 10 and some expensive to replace hardware, so then it will create a whole load of my time and money to source replacement stuff.
looks like you were wrong in saying download it now because in the future it will be free - quite the opposite Is happening is anyone thinking why they are forcing it on people for free why do they want everyone to use it --sounds like skynet to me. The CIA are behind it and it gathers all your info and sends it every-month.

Perhaps not CIA, but targeted marketing that tracks user habits definitely.  :)

I'm expecting Microsoft to let a Windows 7 and 8 system flaw "slip" into public, so that "evil hackers" can abuse it to compromise system security.

Then make a patch for it.

Then people will be more likely to let the updates be turned on, and give in to windows 10.  :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2016, 12:57:05 pm »
I am naturally suspicious about anyone that wants me to do something they want.
They are already pathing the way by slipping in updates to facilitate the win 10 download. 

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2016, 09:34:06 am »
I'm pretty sure that Windows 7 and definitely Windows 8 are aware of tethered / mobile connections versus WiFi or Ethernet which should mitigate any chance of incurring charges. Though if you are still on dial-up, how did you get left in the 90's?!  :lol

As for offering it up for free? Well what with being a "software developer", supporting older systems is an utter and complete pain in the ass!! We are finally in a place where a lot of modern techniques and tools are now available across a majority of platforms, but that isn't always the case. Offering an incentive to get everyone updated to a more modern platform will reduce expenditure on support and development.

Microsoft aren't just being really nice and friendly, they do get a benefit out of it, however that benefit does in-turn help the majority of us as well. Granted you are perfectly correct that older tech does sometimes get left behind that you still need access to, which is rather annoying and frustrating. I've experienced this when doing some work for a family business; some of their industrial tech and software won't run on modern operating systems. Ultimately it will still be your choice as to whether you upgrade or not, but MS will still make you painfully aware that you are using an outdated and un-supported system ;)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2016, 11:04:21 am »
I have to manually accept all updates, how do I check the update isn't an upgrade to windows 10
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2016, 11:14:47 am »
Im thinking that it will be called win10 and the other clue could be the size some say 3GB some say GB

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2016, 11:52:12 am »
File size I guess will be the obvious, thanks
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #11 on: 08 February 2016, 10:31:56 am »
I'm pretty sure that Windows 7 and definitely Windows 8 are aware of tethered / mobile connections versus WiFi or Ethernet which should mitigate any chance of incurring charges. Though if you are still on dial-up, how did you get left in the 90's?!  :lol

Not everyone lives the way you do. Half the people in UK have over 10MB/s download speeds, but not the same in Africa, Asia etc.

[/size]

As for offering it up for free? Well what with being a "software developer", supporting older systems is an utter and complete pain in the ass!! We are finally in a place where a lot of modern techniques and tools are now available across a majority of platforms, but that isn't always the case. Offering an incentive to get everyone updated to a more modern platform will reduce expenditure on support and development.
[/size]

This seems more like a mafia like incentive. That's the whole problem. Don't trick me into downloading, or installing something I don't want. This move is as close as it gets to forcing people to "upgrade".

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2016, 08:52:16 pm »
I tried it and didn't like it, eventually got IE back after lots of help on here. Went to turn pooter off earlier and I had no choice of just turning off.....it was turn off and install upgrade (no options)
I shut the lid as I did have the pooter to turn off if lid is shut but on opening up again.....immediate prompt to complete a restart and update to Win 10
well pissed off with this shit now
fire never sleeps

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2016, 08:51:28 am »
Okay, turned my laptop on, and screen went blue saying "Do Not Turn Off Computer" for about 5 minutes, then when it eventually loaded it had the audacity to tell me it had removed my Security and switched on Windows Defender for me.
What the.....??? :grumble
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.