Date: 21-05-24  Time: 01:34 am

Author Topic: RIP - awful news and I think one of us  (Read 2948 times)

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
RIP - awful news and I think one of us
« on: 03 October 2014, 03:27:54 pm »
Bumblebee - I'm sure I remember that name from this site at some point  :o

Story here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2779337/Radiographer-29-died-boyfriend-crashing-motorbike-stationary-car-police-checkpoint.html

Very sad.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: RIP - awful news and I think one of us
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2014, 04:11:56 pm »
Yes, she and the name are familiar but not the same Bumble Bee we had/have on here.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2014, 04:23:01 pm »
Yes, terribly sad indeed.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2014, 05:04:40 pm »
Never good to hear news like this, especially when it concerns one who was involved in health care and had her whole working life ahead of her helping others. RIP lass,

North Wales Police will have some questions to answer ???
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2014, 06:08:07 pm »
There is a bumblebee on here but listed as having a gen1....sad news all the same

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2014, 08:40:29 pm »
north wales police didnt cause the crash. she rode into a stationary vehicle. sounds like lack of riding experience/lack of concentration to me. if a car driver had ploughed into the back of a stationary car he would no doubt be labelled a knobhead.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2014, 11:12:44 pm »
The mere fact that North Wales police were carrying out a random stop /spot checks and traffic was stationary on the road contributed to the accident. No doubt the findings will be made public soon enough.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2014, 09:04:49 am »
Very sad . I'm sure there was a Mel on the previous site might not be their same . But still very sad

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2014, 06:24:02 pm »
carrying through the logic that police contributed to the accident, it would obviously follow that many other vehicles would also plough into other stationary vehicles, but this didnt appear to be the case. we as riders are responsible for our speed, forward vision, situation awareness etc and i would never ride into anything immovable without a serious case of concentration loss. unfortunately, many people who ride bikes do so because its cool. my sister fits into this bracket and i refuse to ride with her. she looks like a cool biker chick but she seriously shouldnt be riding. her body positioning is all wrong, she's not relaxed, she drifts accros the centre line and overtakes when she shouldnt. her vision is on the front wheel, i think, and she doesnt read the road ahead.  there are many riders like that, male and female, and you usually see them out posing at weekends as opposed to riding to work. the trouble is, they dont think they have a problem and pin the blame on the cager if anything goes wrong. anyways, end of sermon, i'm going for a thrash while its still daylight.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2014, 08:37:44 pm »

I've got to disagree with you here slightly Caretaker mate.......because a few times i've had to come to a halt on twisty Welsh roads because someone was broken down or cows crossing or whatever......& most of these times i've felt reasonably safe because i've came to a stop far enough either around a big open corner...or far enough passed a small tight blind corner.

But there has been the times that i've been sat in the car nervously looking at my rear view mirror & praying to foc that nobody else comes round at the normal road speed because i'd be focced.

Ok so i know what the do gooding we are so mighty & never slip up crew will say........you should always be able to stop within the space ahead that you can see.....imo this is a bit of patronising bullshit because if that was really the case then you'd have A & B roads all over the country coming to a standstill as everyone crept round the corners at 30mph....it's a cop out for smug folk but is only partially realistic.....some corners you can achieve this with a far enough away vanishing point while still doing an acceptable speed.....but most you cant......I'm not saying that it isn't correct....but far more effective is just not bothering going out in the first place and taking the train :b .....if you're out for a fun spin & you're doing enough speed to get the tyres over....& your human & smiling about it then theres always the chance that this can happen.

& how many folk actually get much practice at doing an emergency stop mid corner?.......not many.....all the test stuff is either in a straight line or with a slight swerve to avoid an object...& to really be anchoring on mid corner to practice is a little bit iffy........so it's pretty difficult to build up a feeling of just what that distance you can stop in actually is.....& every corner is different......some have a double apex so constant adjustment is needed.

Why do we have signs up at intervals before a set of temporary traffic lights then?.........if we should all be capable of just coming round a tight blind corner seeing them just ahead of us and safely coming to a stop......because they are in dodgy places and often just around corners.....plus it lets us know that we might have a line of traffic ahead and so slow down to snail pace on the corners...so the construction & highways folk recognise this...........did the police?????

There will always be that non planned event on the road....the cows, the breakdown, the avalanche etc...thats just life and if she had come across this then fair enough shit happens....but when it is a planned stoppage of traffic then it should be done safely & if the police didn't have warning signs up at intervals before the stop then yes i do think that they have part of the blame here because they increased the risk of something bad happening without having a justified reason.....routine stop & checks do not justify it i dont think.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2014, 08:42:19 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2014, 10:47:45 pm »
i know what you mean nogs. ive had a number of instances where ive come round a bend etc. ended up in the shrubbery at one point! but i suppose we dont know the circumstances of the crash so no point speculating. could be me next!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2014, 10:53:15 pm »
i know what you mean nogs. ive had a number of instances where ive come round a bend etc. ended up in the shrubbery at one point! but i suppose we dont know the circumstances of the crash so no point speculating. could be me next!!

This is what gets to me about these crash reports in the news....i posted a thread about it recently...we never ever get to hear all the details.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2014, 11:24:05 pm »
Caretaker, you have already speculated about what happened.

north wales police didnt cause the crash. she rode into a stationary vehicle. sounds like lack of riding experience/lack of concentration to me.

This was your own post, sounds like lack of riding experience/lack of concentration.

I've had a number of instances where I've come round a bend etc. Ended up in the shrubbery at one point!

I am nit picking I know, reading your other post do your sister a favour for her birthday buy her a BIKE SAFE course.

We all are guilty of a lapse of concentration at times. I know I am getting to the stage in my riding career were I seriously am considering hanging the leathers up. I am nearly 66 (not that old ) I know ,but I do find my mind wondering a bit these days. Seems to me that things just come at me faster than they used to. I am late braking on a lot of occassions , to hot into corners etc!

Sadly though regardless of the outcome of the police inquiry a young woman has lost her life. No matter the rights and wrongs of what happened she is gone and will be missed by her family and friends for years to come.
If the Police motorcyclist did get his search setup in the wrong place I am sure if he could have done it differently he will have that on his mind for sometime to come.

Just throw this one into the mix, what is the law in the UK if you are tail end Charlie in a queue of stationary traffic for whatever reason is it not compulsory to have your Hazzard warning lights on. It certainly is on the continient.

« Last Edit: 07 October 2014, 11:26:45 pm by lew600fazer »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2014, 05:51:21 pm »
No law as far as I am aware, but generally considerate if stopping very quickly or are stopped on a typically fast moving road (which has happened  to me before on a motorway)