Date: 01-05-24  Time: 08:38 am

Author Topic: Buzzing from clocks when main beam is switched on?  (Read 1589 times)

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
Buzzing from clocks when main beam is switched on?
« on: 07 March 2012, 10:22:37 pm »
 I have been tampering with my bike for the last 2 weeks, some good progress, some not so good. One of the many things I "tried" to do was wire in a gear indicator but after several attempts at mounting the sensors I gave up. Managed to blow the headlight fuse whilst I was messing but replaced it & all seemed well. This was last week. Now the bike is complete again, every attempt at switching from side lights to main beam results in dim indicators coming on (all 4 from memory), some dash lights also coming on dimly & a strange beeping/buzzing sound from the clock/dash area.  :( Spent all day on it today as work is slack but it was getting late when I got to this stage so thought I would try you folks for inspiration before I tackle the problem tomorrow.

Any ideas what I've done peeps?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzing from clocks when main beam is switched on?
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2012, 07:50:22 am »
I hate electrical problems but I'd start by looking at every wire you worked with in trying to hook up the gear indicator.  Your problem sounds like a wire part-shorting to earth, a bad earth or possibly a damaged/mis-seating contact in a connector block.  It's not unheard of for one of the small prongs in a connector to bend or otherwise get damaged. 

Close inspection and logical re-tracing of your previous work should solve this. :)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2012, 10:27:10 am »
  It's not unheard of for one of the small prongs in a connector to bend or otherwise get damaged. 

I am a bit heavy handed (even more so if i have just cocked up or failed to do something) i have a few times done the above lol normaly its fairly simple to jently ease the prong back but if corroded as well they have snapped in the past and then thats a real pain.

i have never been able to get to grips with electrics and work on the bassis that they run on magic and smoke! once you let either of them escape they stop working! :'(

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2012, 12:33:29 pm »
 Thanks both. I'm okay with older stuff but the Fazer's wiring & diagram got me stumped last week.
 Turned my attention to the Fireblade today. I am sulking with the Fazer this morning.  :(   'kin bikes.   :rolleyes

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2012, 06:12:22 pm »
Just for the record & for anyone browsing this forum in the future with the same problem I had. Today I decided to tackle this problem as I had some spare time. It was nothing more than a crappy connection in the big white multi pin block which is located under the left hand fairing infill panel. Unplug, squirt with WD40, all better.  :D