Date: 30-04-24  Time: 16:44 pm

Author Topic: Short clutch lever and Dupuytren's.  (Read 1113 times)

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
Short clutch lever and Dupuytren's.
« on: 24 February 2023, 12:40:41 pm »
I have OEM brake and clutch levers fitted to my FZS600 and my FZS1000. For some years I have suffered with Dupuytren's disease, affecting fingers in both hands and have had two procedures to straighten them. My left little finger is bending in towards the palm to the extent that it is causing issues operating the clutch. The lever butts up against it. Whilst awaiting surgery I am considering fitting a short lever to alleviate this issue. My concern is how much harder will it be to pull the lever in with the shorter leverage ? 

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Short clutch lever and Dupuytren's.
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2023, 01:06:04 pm »
Try gripping your regular clutch lever with just your index and middle finger and see if you can still operate it.

If it's too heavy, you can put a longer actuator arm on top of the clutch unit which will make it lighter to pull, but if it becomes a real hassle you may have to fork out for a hydraulic clutch mechanism instead.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2023, 01:39:53 pm »
Thank-you Grahamm. Very useful information. I'm looking at the available short levers. Chinese manufacturers seem to be in the majority although I have found levers of Japanese manufacture which I prefer, even at twice the price. I'll have to fit one otherwise I'll have to stop riding.  J

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2023, 04:42:36 pm »
I can’t remember the make, but I’ve seen shorty levers where the length is adjustable via an Allen in the back of the lever. With these you could adjust the length until it causes a problem. The longer clutch actuator is definitely the way to go to lighten the lever operation as already suggested. I’ve had no problem with Chinese levers when I’ve used them.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2023, 05:19:47 pm »
Thank-you robbo. I ordered some Japanese made levers an hour ago, due to be delivered next week. Only need the clutch lever changing at present but still handy to have the brake lever for when my right hand bends in again. The longer clutch actuator sounds like the solution if I have problems pulling the new lever in. I tried using two fingers to pull the existing lever as Grahamm suggested and managed it, but I don't know how it would be after all the gear changing on a long ride. Many thanks for the advice. It will be interesting to see if I get an advisory for the short lever when I take the bike for an MOT. ( of course I could put the old one back for the MOT ).

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2023, 07:34:05 am »
I shouldn't think there would be a problem with the short lever come MOT time. A few pals that have used them for years have had no MOT issues. It might take a bit of getting used to, I've only used them on an enduro bike to cut down on lever damage when it's all gone wrong, but hopefully makes riding more comfortable for you. From memory there's a shim in the stock clutch lever that you'll need to use with your new shorty. Could be wrong as quite a few years since I changed mine :) .

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2023, 08:59:21 am »
That's good to know regarding the MOT. Thank-you. If I can get used to the short lever I shall be doing the same to my two other Fazers. I shall remember the shim. Using the ' winter ' bike at present. My brother has Dupuytren's too and he used short levers successfully in the past, so ' fingers crossed '.  :lol

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2023, 11:54:27 am »
Update .  I have fitted short clutch levers to my three Fazers and they have solved the problem of my bent in little finger. There is no problem with the shorter leverage. Tore the rotator cuff of my clutch arm but that's another story !

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2023, 03:54:03 pm »
Glad you’ve found a satisfactory “workaround” :thumbup

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2023, 07:46:14 pm »
Thanks robbo. :D Lovely to be able to ride again !