Date: 27-04-24  Time: 19:35 pm

Author Topic: service above and beyond  (Read 1766 times)

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
service above and beyond
« on: 07 April 2012, 10:38:39 pm »
I got home Thursday night with oil all down my right leg, boot and back half of the bike.  The oil filler cap had gone :-(.

A ring and drive around the local dealers resulted in none in stock.  I popped into a local mechanic that I have used a few times in the past for mot and tyres and once for some work, bit I am by no means a regular, just on the off chance he had one on the shelf. 

Although he did not have one spare, he took the filler cap from his own bike and gave me that to keep me going until he can get a new one on Wednesday - he knows I use the bike to get to work and he is away with the family until Wednesday so not using the bike.

Last time he did work, he had a 3 week wait until he found I was going touring in 1 week, so he snuck me in so the bike was good to go.

Bloody nice bloke, good mechanic and reasonable rates too.  If anyone is looking for a mechanic, tyres or MOT near Uckfield, East Sussex, I can highly recommend Terry Everest at Everest Motorcycles.

Hope 'advertising' is ok, but it is rare to find people like this.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: service above and beyond
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2012, 10:58:01 pm »
Its a bit like my local small independant shop, he will offten help me out with stuff like a lend of a part he has laying around or from his (and sometimes other ppls bikes lol) to keep me on the road.

I love these old skool type back street places its a great loss when they close and we are forced to go to main dealers.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2012, 09:22:54 am »
Little far from me - I am in Worthing in West Sussex - but good to know and I will point people his way

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2012, 10:06:51 pm »
I agree you cant beat the old style places. i often use a place called Churchills on the A5 in a little village called Potterspury. (between Milton Keynes and Towcester) They even beat dealer prices on a new set of Bridgstones BT023s on my 600

Wonder if its worth having a list on the site of these kind of places to save us all money and keep them open  :D

Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2012, 09:53:23 pm »
A friend of mine with a blade did the same thing and we ended up at Thunder road in Cwmbran... couldnt have helped us less- wouldnt go there again

I have a billet oil filler cap now and the OEM one under the seat.... just in case
59 going on 57

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2012, 02:29:52 pm »
I got pulled on my MOT for a worn tyre filling valve and I know he copped the guy before me for the same thing. He did ignore, the front light mod, the iffy rear light cluster on the other guy's sports bike and was recommended though so can't work out it was a legit fail or just another way of squeezing £20 out of the standardised MOT fee. Probably go to one of the other independents next year though.
thou shalt not kick

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 April 2012, 06:58:54 pm »
i had problems with my battery bolts screw heads all rounded looked on ebay and went to the big car/bike places went on a whim to local motX dealer he went round the back and took the bolts off a new motorbike for me and didnt ask for cash , now i know he does proper bikes sevicing etc so be taking mine down there
im with fuzzbom should get a list up