Date: 28-04-24  Time: 07:32 am

Author Topic: Fuel filler lock seized!  (Read 4369 times)

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Fuel filler lock seized!
« on: 28 March 2012, 06:01:05 pm »
Got to the petrol station today and could not open the filler cap. Being ham fisted, I even bent the key trying.

At home, tried the spare (straight) key and still no joy.

Undid the 5 Allen key bolts, bit it appears that there is something else to undo before I can remove the filler cap unit (I left my Haynes manual at a friend's house after some work on the bike).

The lock is currently soaking in penetrating oil, but I'm not holding much hope.  I'll replace it ASAP but I need to know how to get the cap off to replace it and if there is a short term bodge to open the lid.

How hard can I hit what to help? Don't mind if cap does not lock if a temp fix can be performed. Would a screwdriver down the barrel force the lock open?

I've got enough fuel to get to and from work tomorrow, just, but as the light came on as I got home, 36 mile round trip is all I'm prepared to risk.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 28 March 2012, 06:51:49 pm by Ghoti »

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel filler lock ceased!
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2012, 06:19:28 pm »
Let the pen oil do it's work and above all be patient! After soaking for a while, put the key in and try to wiggle GENTLY trying to unlock it. Keep doing this to see if it starts budging.

If not, add a little bit more pen oil and let it soak a little longer and come back and try again in a bit. I'm sure it'll eventually give but just give it time.

If all of that fails then it's time to try something else but give it some patience and time to start with and see what happens. I've had ceased locks that no-one expected to open finally open with time and patience

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2012, 06:24:14 pm »
when trying to undo the lock be sure to press "down" on the cap with a firm preasure.
i have a spare cap now as i replaced my barrel and cap when my barrel died. your wellcome to it if it will help you, i have a key etc

there is another bolt under the filler cap that needs to be undune to remove the whole cap. sadly that you cant get to unless its open.

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2012, 06:40:15 pm »
Thanks...more penetrating oil added!

If I cannot remove the cap without opening it, is it a new fuel tank needed? Surely not (please say not)

Ps - I can spell seized really!
« Last Edit: 28 March 2012, 06:52:44 pm by Ghoti »

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2012, 07:04:55 pm »
Thanks...more penetrating oil added!

If I cannot remove the cap without opening it, is it a new fuel tank needed? Surely not (please say not)

Ps - I can spell seized really!

LOL, I noticed the spelling when I re-read my response and wondered why i'd spelt it 'ceased'  :lol

Can't answer your question though soz, sure some other foccer can though

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Fuel filler lock seized!
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2012, 07:46:25 pm »
As said above. It's happened to me in the early years on Fazer ownership so I know what a bugger it is. So now everytime I clense my Julie I skewrt some lube in her key hole.

:lol
« Last Edit: 28 March 2012, 11:47:22 pm by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2012, 09:16:00 pm »
Thats a bit personal on here isn't it!!!  And what do you do with your fuel cap? :lol

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2012, 08:41:25 am »
With 14 hours of soaking in penetrating oil, tapping the key whilst turning and wiggling (and a little thought of KK lubing up his Julie :eek ), it all freed up this morning.

Problem now is because of panic buying (thanks Dave) the local petrol station is out of petrol  :'( and I could not be bovvered to queue on the way to work.  If I cannot get any on the way home, I'm syphoning it out of the Mrs' car  :evil

Thanks for the advice.  I was a tad concerned last night as it just suddenly stopped working rather than getting stiff, so I thought it was more than just an oil up needed.  All locks well and truly lubed up now.

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2012, 10:12:42 am »
Weirdly my petrol cap was very tight this morning when filling up so i'd better take my own advice and get some lube on it tonight....giggity  :D

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2012, 10:37:45 am »
I could not be bovvered to queue on the way to work.

On the bike, why queue?  Filter through and fill up.