Date: 27-04-24  Time: 16:14 pm

Author Topic: EXUP cable snapped  (Read 4059 times)

_PCooper

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
EXUP cable snapped
« on: 10 March 2012, 11:31:08 am »
I'd decided to check and re-lubricate my exhaust valve this morning as it's not been running right recently and I only got as far as taking the cover off and found that one of the EXUP cables has snapped off right at the bottom where it goes round the pulley wheel.  A quick look on eBay threw up a replacement set of cables for £145. Is that right?  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS1000-FZS-1000-FAZER-EXUP-GENUINE-CABLE-SET-/290680896272?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item43adee7b10#ht_1247wt_952

Can just the inner cable be replaced or should I jam the valve fully open and leave it like that? I'm looking at ivanising it soon so opinions on best solutions would be greatly appreciated.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP cable snapped
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2012, 02:05:02 pm »
they're absurdly expensive aren't they? pretty sure there's an alternative but it requires sending the cable sleeves off (to Venhill i think?) - others here will know more i'm sure...

S

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2012, 09:50:18 pm »
those cables on ebay are a lot cheaper than going to a dealer,they are normaly £173.33 http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=Z%3AQ%5B6685J5655&uid=0

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2012, 01:57:13 am »
I did speak to my local mechanic a couple of days ago about cables as he once told me a few years back that he could get pattern ones. Sadly the company that did them was a small firm that didn't so much mass produce a pattern part but custom made cables by copying the originals. But they went bust a couple years back. Exup cables back then they did at 40 quid a set. Shame that no one else has made pattern ones as a killing could be made it seems LOL

_PCooper

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2012, 02:45:54 pm »
I've just left the cables with a company local to me called Catton Control Cables. Hopefully tomorrow they will have put a fresh pair of inners in and I'll get my midrange back.

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2012, 03:44:31 pm »
I've just left the cables with a company local to me called Catton Control Cables. Hopefully tomorrow they will have put a fresh pair of inners in and I'll get my midrange back.

Have you warned them the purpose and location of the cables?  The ends of the cables get very hot and normal soldering of the nipples could fail.  There was talk about this on the old board (http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/32778/Replacement-EXUP-Cables-12-instead-130).  Could be worth a phone call to make sure their work will be up to the required standard.  Someone estimated temperature upto 300c somewhere.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the cables are a non-standard matterial (but that is more because of Yamaha's price than heat).

_PCooper

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2012, 03:40:06 pm »
New cable looks good but will have to fit it and see how it goes. I'm worried that it might melt after 5 mins, the guy was non commital and said I should try another cable company in Dudley if it broke again. 

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2012, 08:09:28 pm »
Can you do me a favour PCooper before you fit the cables. I know the size of the barrels already, but can you measure roughly, within a few mm, the length of the inner cables. Just the cable from where it comes out the barrel to where it just the other barrel?

I'm going to try and make some once I source the right barrel clamps and outers. I'll post the results and step by step guide when I make them. I'll also let you know where to source the parts used. There's got to be a cheaper DIY way to get around paying Yamaha the princely sum of gold, silver and small children.

Cables can't be that hard to make to the right length.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad