Date: 21-05-24  Time: 11:39 am

Author Topic: Camchain replacement  (Read 15170 times)

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Camchain replacement
« on: 15 July 2013, 06:54:06 pm »
What's the best way of attaching an old camchain to a new one temporarily so I can feed the new one through?

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Camchain replacement
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2013, 08:32:46 pm »
and how the hell are you supposed to press the master link on a camchain? My riveter/breaker only came with press plates for a drive chain!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 July 2013, 09:20:38 pm »
I used a 2.5 pound hammer and a small ball peen hammer.
Rested the big hammer up against the rivit and peened over the other end of the rivit with the ball of the small hammer. Does not need a heavy hand, just short sharp taps to peen the rivits over.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2013, 09:38:01 pm »
Rested the big hammer up against the rivit and peened over the other end of the rivit with the ball of the small hammer. Does not need a heavy hand, just short sharp taps to peen the rivits over.

Would you know where I'd get a DID cam chain? There are a lot listed as DID/ID but they are ID chains and I'd like to go for a DID chain as I've used their chains before.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 July 2013, 09:53:39 pm »
Should be able to get them from any shops that stock DID drive chains.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 July 2013, 10:04:59 pm »
Should be able to get them from any shops that stock DID drive chains.

Can't seem to find any on the internet. I'm starting to think that they don't make them anymore. Might try emailing them directly

humbucker88

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2013, 11:07:14 pm »
If you check here: http://piaggiospares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=741.21.25&uid=0 they do DID or borger camchains depending on what's available, I'm sure you could ask specifically for a DID chain if that's what you want.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2013, 11:21:27 pm »
If you check here: http://piaggiospares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=741.21.25&uid=0 they do DID or borger camchains depending on what's available, I'm sure you could ask specifically for a DID chain if that's what you want.

Thanks. I'll give them a try

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2013, 07:05:35 am »

Would you know where I'd get a DID cam chain? There are a lot listed as DID/ID but they are ID chains and I'd like to go for a DID chain as I've used their chains before.

Take a trip down memory lane  :)

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=896.0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/timing-chain-92rh2010-130-endless-CAMSHAFT-YAMAHA-FZS-600-FAZER-741-28-77-/300928177872?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4610b796d0
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2013, 11:42:45 am »
Had a quick look down memory lane and that site wasn't mentioned only wemoto and they only have tourmax and id chains which i've never heard of. Sent the aj place an email so hopefully they do them

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2013, 12:59:59 pm »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2013, 07:29:26 pm »

I got one from WeMoto, It was branded ID, which are supposed to be the same company, but they stopped doing them, as DID/ID would not supply soft links seperately. As far as I know DID and ID are the same. I have that chain in my bike with over 30,000 miles.

Mario

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fazer 400 4yr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2013, 06:58:44 pm »
What Km should fz400 (4yr) have to change the camchain and tension? Mine have about 54,000 I think  never have been changed.Some other thing I think I have a problem into the fan switch I allready test the fan which is working so I think is the fan switch but I couldnt find this part,any ones know from where can I buy one?

Thanks

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2013, 08:17:29 pm »
What Km should fz400 (4yr) have to change the camchain and tension? Mine have about 54,000 I think  never have been changed.Some other thing I think I have a problem into the fan switch I allready test the fan which is working so I think is the fan switch but I couldnt find this part,any ones know from where can I buy one?

Thanks

Mine has similar mileage and needs a cam chain but that doesn't mean yours needs one too. Is yours making noise? You could take out the tensioner and check how many adjustments it has left but you'll have to move the carbs out of the way to get the tensioner. The fans on the fazers very rarely come on so are you certain there is a problem?

garyb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 July 2013, 09:56:27 pm »

Mine has been very noisy on tick over after start up this past couple of weeks but it goes away quick enough once warmed up, the bike has 35,000 miles on it.

I was going to leave it for a while to see if it sorted itself out, but its really bothering me, so yesterday I tried taking plugs out, rolling backwards in gear to see if the CCT would move on a click, but no joy.

This evening I removed the tensioner. As far as I can see it is extended fully, so I guess it looks like I will need a new cam-chain - damn it's gonna be off the road again, last week it was the bloody front sprocket nut and now this.

I am trying to decide whether I should get it to my nearest bike shop or if I should attempt it myself, I am fairly handy but just worried about things not going well.

What's the most difficult part I will have to overcome? From reading the threads here, I am guessing breaking the old / joining the new chain (riveting bit) and making sure the timing is right will all need careful attention.

Any advise from someone who as done this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gar

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2013, 10:15:55 pm »
Out of interest where does the tensioner live?

garyb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 July 2013, 11:15:08 pm »

Back of the cylinder block under the carbs

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 July 2013, 11:35:59 pm »

The tensioner is basically the centre of the bike, as if someone found one and decided to build a Fazer around it!  :lol

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2013, 05:44:01 pm »
hi humbucker i was wondering how you attached the old chain to the new chain to thread it through? Also did you have to take the cam out to do this or did you do with them in? Thanks.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2013, 06:29:33 pm »
Plugs out and cams out.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2013, 06:58:22 pm »
Does anyone know how much roughly it would cost a garage to replace the cam chain and tensioner? I'm not sure if mine is about to go onto the next click or something because it comes and goes every few hundred miles but its getting a bit louder than usual on startup currently. I've done a few things myself like refurbing forks and stuff but I'm not sure if I'm confident doing this job myself. Will a complete chain cost a lot more to fit? What are the benefits?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 July 2013, 10:10:23 pm »
What mileage is on you bike?
A complete cam chain means a major engine strip down as you need to lift out the crank to get the chain on and you cannot just seperate the crankcases as two of the crankcase bolts are under the barrel  :( . A split chain  from an engine point of view is just the carburettors, alternator cover and cam cover and cam chain tensioner off first and then the plugs and cams out. Split the chain and attached the new chain to the split link. With your third hand, turn the engine over holding the chain tightly and feeding it through. Install the cams, join the chain, check the cam timing, install the tensioner, check cam timing again. Replace the cam covers, alternator cover and carburettors.
Max time about 6 hours for a split chain  :eek  (a very good mechanic could probably do it in 4  :) )

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 July 2013, 10:35:04 pm »
A complete cam chain means a major engine strip down as you need to lift out the crank to get the chain on and you cannot just seperate the crankcases as two of the crankcase bolts are under the barrel  :( . A split chain  from an engine point of view is just the carburettors, alternator cover and cam cover and cam chain tensioner off first and then the plugs and cams out. Split the chain and attached the new chain to the split link. With your third hand, turn the engine over holding the chain tightly and feeding it through. Install the cams, join the chain, check the cam timing, install the tensioner, check cam timing again. Replace the cam covers, alternator cover and carburettors.
Max time about 6 hours for a split chain  :eek  (a very good mechanic could probably do it in 4  :) )

Hi when you say attach the new chain to the split link how best would i do that?

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 July 2013, 11:31:17 pm »

My bike has almost 24k on it at the moment, but it's very standard and still has the standard exhaust can so all engine noises are easier to hear. Definitely cam chain though in my opinion, its on the left side and sounds like the vids I've watched of very bad examples just not quite as loud and goes away after a few miles of riding. The split chain seems like a much more hassle free option, although I still wouldn't tackle it myself. I understand the principles of it but experience and tools wise I would be worried that some unforeseen circumstance would pop up at a critical point and bugger me. I'll leave it for a bit and if the noise still gets worse I'll start getting some quotes from garages I think. Do you have to replace the tensioner too? Also what are the differences between a split link and complete cam chain, obviously complete will be stronger but is there a huge difference? Have any split ones been recorded to fail?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 July 2013, 12:42:35 am »
Highly unlikely the chain is gone yet, could be a valve clearances out of specification. It is due a valve check at 26,000miles (42,000Km), why not check it now and put you mind at ease and it is easy to check the condition of the chain then also. It is a relatively easy job to do.
A properly joined split chain is just as strong as a complete chain. When the rivit is peened over the side plate cannot come off. I know some will always go the complete chain route, but it is a personal choice. The pull is straight accross the rivit and as it cannot bend to allow the plate to slip off. I have only heard of one split chain break ever and that was becasue the "mechanic" damaged the rivit using a small cold chisel to peen the rivit and put a crack in it which weakened it. I have never actually heard of a Fazer 600 tensioners fail and does not usually need replacing. However there are always exceptions and when it is off it is very easy to dismantle it and check it. They may stick on bikes which are not used to often or from neglected oil changes