Date: 30-04-24  Time: 11:12 am

Author Topic: fuel pump  (Read 856 times)

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
fuel pump
« on: 29 May 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
pleae help  :o

went out 2 start my fazer today after about a 3 week lay up (battery has been charged though).

Turned ingnition and the fuel pump clicked away as normal, hit starter, turned over but didnt catch - this is normal, my fazer doesnt like being started if it has been riden for a week. BUT..when i let go of the starter, the fuel pump clicked away a bit more???

ignition off......back on, fuel pump clicks for 5 secs but kind of sounds like theres a loose connection (the sound isnt "even" if that makes sense)

so i did igntion on...fuel pump clicked for 5 secs...ignition off....back on...clicks for 5 secs....AND SO ON, it just keep clicking away always for 5 secs.

This isnt right is it??? never done it before and i thought the fuel pump just primed the carbs? so why is it doing it for 5 seconds every time the igntion is switched on??

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2013, 05:32:06 pm »
The fuel pump shuts off when the float bowl level is correct.  Perhaps the pump is not getting the pressure resistance expected and so continues to operate for a while longer.  Could be symptomatic of an issue with the float needle seat O-rings, Phil.

However, start by checking the obvious things like electrical connectors, fuel lines and fuel filter before you assume it's inside the carbs.

phil on a fazer

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: fuel pump
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2013, 05:55:29 pm »
The fuel pump shuts off when the float bowl level is correct.  Perhaps the pump is not getting the pressure resistance expected and so continues to operate for a while longer.  Could be symptomatic of an issue with the float needle seat O-rings, Phil.

However, start by checking the obvious things like electrical connectors, fuel lines and fuel filter before you assume it's inside the carbs.

ok. i do actually have a brand new fuel filter in my garage. So i will fit that, dont you have to remove the fuel pump to do so?? (if so, that will give me chance to spray up / clean the connectors)

thanks