Date: 18-05-24  Time: 16:14 pm

Author Topic: Long life tyres  (Read 1521 times)

chr999chr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Long life tyres
« on: 09 December 2011, 09:27:05 am »
I am on the look out for a Repsol Fireblade just to keep in the garage and polish and to take out when the sun is shining. I only intend to a few hundred miles a year and was wondering if there is any type of tyre that would last the longest without going hard.
I don't really want to be changing a low mileage tyre just because it has gone hard.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Long life tyres
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2011, 11:25:49 am »
I had a pair of Avon Storms STs fitted to my FJ1200 about 3/4 years ago and then stored the bike for about a year whilst I was working in Thailand. I expected them to need replacing when I got back but despite looking a little blue and shiny around the edges they scrubbed back in nicely and seemed fine, I ran them without drama for a few thousand miles.
 Obviously the Storms arn't a premium choice for a blade but FJs are a powerful lump and give any tyre plenty of grief (96ft lb of torque, 130bhp and wet weight of around 580 lbs) so perhaps not entirely unsuitable. I wouldn't hesitate fitting Storms to any bike to be honest.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2011, 12:15:26 pm »
As far as I am aware, tyres don't generally go for about 4,5 or 6 years.
One contributing factor is UV, so if the bike is stored away in a garage that generally helps.  Though UV isn't the only thing that ages tyres.

So if you are going to only ride the bike now and again, go for something softish, plus I assume you won't be riding it on cold winter days when softer rubber can struggle to get up to operating temp.  Otherwise you'll end changing the tyres due to ageing (usually shows up as cracking on the side walls) rather than wear and tear.

One wee tip is to make sure you turn the tyres now and again, plus keep correctly inflated.  With bikes that sit stored away for long periods the tyres can go off round, all that weight sitting on the same bit of tyre all the time.  Just turn the tyre a bit every few weeks.  You'll know if the tyre goes off round as the bars will vibrate and the bike will shake it's head hard now and again if you pressing on.  It usually works it's self out after a while though but not fun till it has done.

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2011, 02:12:30 pm »
My advice would be to put the bike on paddock stands and take the wheels off completely if you hardly use it. Its only half an hour to stick them back on when the summer comes around and there'll be no need to continually rotate anything. Just wrap 'em in bubble wrap and stick 'em in a corner.

Taksi
Taksi

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2011, 06:37:10 pm »
A few hundred miles?....Just ride the bike more....sorted!  :thumbup