Date: 24-04-24  Time: 19:54 pm

Author Topic: AIS Removal  (Read 1619 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
AIS Removal
« on: 05 August 2021, 04:28:51 pm »
 Hi,it is that time, 25000 mile service.
Spoke to my mechanic before covid and he was going to get everything needed to remove the AIS system,  now he says I have to get what's needed and is not being very helpful.
Looking on Pat's page he shows what he calls a carb intake boot which blanks the hole in the carb, unfortunately I can not find it on Fowlers Yamaha parts list, any Idea what the part number is and how to get one?Any idea what to do about the hole in the air box?Is there any thing else I need.The mechanic is going to crimp the ends of the tubes so don't need the bolts to fill the holes in the engine.
How important is it to have the valves checked at 25000 miles,  can I wait a few or thousands miles? It would certainly help me out at the moment as the bill is not going to be cheap.
Do you do a oil change at the same time as the valve check.? Because if I can get away with out the valve check I will do a oil change and small service  my self.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2021, 04:34:29 pm by Ricky »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Re: AIS Removal
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2021, 04:54:58 pm »
Hi Ricky,
I’m sure that there will be far more knowledgable people than I along soon to help you out, but for my two penneth worth….

I checked the valve clearances on my 2nd Gen1 some years back, as like you, I didn’t have the funds to pay a dealer to do them. General feedback then was that the dealers mostly know that with this model, they were most likely to still be well within tolerance and would quite likely still charge for the job, but not actually check them.

When I did check them, out of piece of mind really, they were indeed all within tolerance at the time.
If you do some searching on here, you will probably find (as I did) that the general consensus here is that they don’t need doing / are unlikely to be out of tolerance at this sort of mileage.

With regards to the AIS removal,I personally wouldn’t bother, until such time as you do decide to get the valve clearances checked. At that point, you’ve got to remove it partially to check the clearances, so you might as well fit the AIS removal kit then.

Personally, if the bike is sound and running well atm, with funds being tight, I’d spent the cash on a decent home service. You could then spend the extra cash on some worthwhile improvements if needed. Hope this helps. :thumbup
« Last Edit: 05 August 2021, 04:57:29 pm by SkidT »

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2021, 05:17:29 pm »
Hi, the removal of the AIS was only going to be done with the valve check as it would look better and my mechanic said it would reduce the bill as it doesn't have to go back on.I am sure there is a lot of debate about the valve check at 25000 miles, it would certainly help me out at the moment.I suspect it is highly unlikely they would need doing, but?I am aiming to keep the bike for some years yet, so would get it done .Don't want  to change the oil my self to find it would have to change again for the valve check.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2021, 08:25:56 pm »
It certainly makes the bike look better imho without all of that plumbing, which essentially, makes no difference here, where we don’t (yet) have emissions testing at mot time.

If the valve clearance check is done as per Pats guide, with care taken to avoid crud dropping into the engine when the rocker cover / spark plugs are removed, there shouldn’t really be a need to change the oil again at valve clearance time. But, tbh, even an oil change probably wouldn’t flush that crud out anyway, so it’s best to take care when the job gets done.

I understand about the piece of mind thing with potential long term ownership. Had my current one for nine years odd now.

[/size]You could do what I did??? Read Pats guide thoroughly and have a go at checking them yourself? I’d never done it before and have limited talent with tools.
[/size]But checking them, if you follow the guide and take your time isn’t too challenging. If they need changing, I’d personally definately leave that to the professionals.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2021, 06:29:46 am »
The intake boot cover is the cap that goes on the balancing point spigots i believe. Link example below but cheaper elsewhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Yamaha-VMX1200-XJ650-XJ750-FZS1000-TT600-Blind-Plug-16G-13569-00-/262857650089?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

For blocking the air box I used a walking stick rubber end and it fitted a treat.

Don’t know about crimping, I tapped the spigots and put button head stainless bolts in. Worked well and looks tidy.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 August 2021, 08:56:16 pm »
Both of these sites do AIS removal kits

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/other.htm

http://www.holeshot.com/yamaha/fz1/products/holeshot-racing-air-induction-removal-kit

I used the Holeshot one, but many use the Ivans one both are very good.
They both come with all the bits you require

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2021, 12:26:17 pm »
The Ivans kit is mainly a tap and appropriate bolts to screw into the spigots once they've been tapped, you shouldn't need to buy that as your mechanic should be able to tap them out for you, provide the bolts as well as source a cap for the carb. The only non standard part is the cap for the airbox, as has been said there are many options, it seems to be a standard size for the plastic caps on small spray bottles so not difficult to find. I also went with the Holeshot kit as it's simpler (I'm not good at tapping) and I think looks neater but it was expensive, took a while to get to me and didn't come with the rubber caps like the Ivan's kit does.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2021, 03:48:47 pm »
The Ivans kit is mainly a tap and appropriate bolts to screw into the spigots once they've been tapped, you shouldn't need to buy that as your mechanic should be able to tap them out for you, provide the bolts as well as source a cap for the carb. The only non standard part is the cap for the airbox, as has been said there are many options, it seems to be a standard size for the plastic caps on small spray bottles so not difficult to find. I also went with the Holeshot kit as it's simpler (I'm not good at tapping) and I think looks neater but it was expensive, took a while to get to me and didn't come with the rubber caps like the Ivan's kit does.

I used the Holeshot  one also for the same reason that it does look better but it came with the 3 Caps and a small Allen Key just like Ivans.
Get in touch with Dale Walker http://www.holeshot.com/holeshot/contact and he will look after you. I found him very helpful just as Ivan was