Date: 29-05-24  Time: 22:29 pm

Author Topic: K&N Conical Air filters  (Read 5382 times)

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
K&N Conical Air filters
« on: 23 January 2012, 05:04:42 pm »
Hi Chaps, has anyone fitted any of the K&N cone type air filters to there Fazer 1000. Any info on Carb diameter, rejetting and any issues removing old air box would be greatly recieved. cheers minty.

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
Re: K&N Conical Air filters
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2012, 07:59:40 pm »
Just being inquisitive rather than critical, so why go for those filters when Mike uses BMC and details other airflow mods to go with the "Full Monty" version of Ivan's jet kit? Looks perhaps? Think I would prefer something proven on my bike.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2012, 07:42:16 am »
No real gains if I remember over a moded box and good filter.
Will sound nice and look ok if you like that look but with the added problems of cone filters with water ingress and keeping them clean.

Stick with bmc/knn type filter and mod the box etc. It's proven and less hassel imo

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2012, 08:49:19 am »
Hi Chaps, has anyone fitted any of the K&N cone type air filters to there Fazer 1000. Any info on Carb diameter, rejetting and any issues removing old air box would be greatly recieved. cheers minty.

There's no performance benefits to be had from doing this.  In fact, you'll lose low end throttle response unless  you also incorporate velocity stacks inside the K&N pod filters.

You'll need to change needles and main jets. 

Removing the airbox means you'll also need to consider the battery box and fit a filter on the crankcase breather.

The airbox is in 2 parts and has to be unscrewed to get it out.  You also need to remove the intake stubs to get enough wriggle room.

Not worth the hassle and cost unless you really like the look of pod filters. :)

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2012, 05:43:20 pm »
Cheers for that, It was only a thought, never thought of the water ingress as opposed to moding the existing air box.
What mods can you do to the existing air box? apart from upgrading the filter.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2012, 08:23:52 pm »
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17064&highlight=Ivans+air+box+mod

Only do this if you intend fitting a less restrictive air filter and end can, and re-jetting.

Be sure to read all the thread because the first few photos show an incorrect version of the mods.

I would recommend doing the intake boots at the same time so that you gain full benefit of improved gas flow from airbox through to exhaust.

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2012, 12:28:21 am »
Just read the link on modding airboxes, on the last post the guy was asking how you can tell if your bike has been ivanised or not, so I'll ask the question on here as well. How can you tell if your bike has been Ivanised already? i only ask this as my bike runs real smooth all the way thru the rev range, with no glitches etc. i have no history on the bike and was wondering if it has already been done. It appears to have had some work done on it at some stage, but that could be just cosmetic. its running a stubby (and very loud) carbon can on it. Any ideas?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2012, 04:12:57 am »
the only real way if i remember correctly is to check the carb needles.
but tell tell signs of it would be the air box lid been modded and clipped springs (but if your checking that far you may as well just check the needles)
Has it got a std air filter? if so it is doubtfull it has the full monty although it is possable it has the slip on kit.

realy isnt easy to be SURE without striping the carbs though.

paul.s

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2012, 07:57:27 am »
Just read the link on modding airboxes, on the last post the guy was asking how you can tell if your bike has been ivanised or not, so I'll ask the question on here as well. How can you tell if your bike has been Ivanised already? i only ask this as my bike runs real smooth all the way thru the rev range, with no glitches etc.

if its running well why do  you want to mess with it :rolleyes

JKay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2012, 01:17:06 pm »
If you have to ask then you ain't had the pleasure of a visit from "The Ivanator" :rolleyes