Date: 19-05-24  Time: 03:19 am

Author Topic: Loose seat  (Read 1444 times)

95bhp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Loose seat
« on: 23 July 2014, 10:03:50 am »
Hello all,

So I bought a 2002 FZS at the weekend but the seat seems a bit loose. It wobbles from side to side approximately 3/4 of an inch in movement which is really off putting when cornering.

So I was wondering if,

1, what can cause this?

2, can this be fixed,

3, or is it just a new seat that's needed?

Your help is very much needed.

Thanks,

95bhp

95bhp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Loose seat
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2014, 10:13:54 am »
On investigation of the parts list/diagram found here.....

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/genuineparts/9658/28/yamaha%20fzs%20600%20fazer%2000-03/seat?uID=0

Parts 4 and 5 seem to be missing but on looking at all adds on eBay and anywhere else I could find, they seem to be missing from every seat.

Does anyone have any info that can help me tighten my seat?

Thanks for looking in,

95bhp

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2014, 02:39:57 pm »
That plate, item 5, is what locates the back of the seat so I can see how it would be very loose and not very safe without it. The plate goes under the metal cross piece just in front of the plastic tail piece.
There should be two screwed pieces sticking out of the seat where that plate attaches to. 6mm dia and sticking out 10mm.
I would have thought any breaker of a 600 fazer would be able to supply you with one as it is not something that gets damaged and would not detract from selling a seat.
If you are handy with metal you could easily make one from a piece of say 2 or 2.5mm sheet. 50mm wide and 65mm long with a 30 degree bend in it 25mm from the short edge. You then need two holes 12mm from the same edge to fit over the screwed fixings. The nuts, item 4, are just 6mm flanged nuts but plain nuts with a washer will do just as well.
Someone may pop along on here with a spare one. If not and you are still struggling let me know I will make you one.
If the two 6mm threaded pieces have been pulled out then more serious work would be needed. I think they are attached to a metal plate under the plastic seat base.

« Last Edit: 23 July 2014, 03:26:49 pm by limax2 »

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2014, 11:03:32 pm »
I have these items spare buddy, PM me your address and you can have them for the postage cost.  :)
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2014, 11:43:21 pm »
I have these items spare buddy, PM me your address and you can have them for the postage cost.  :)

Good egg is that self destructing bloke 8)

I was gonna go down the route of offering you a whole seat.

If self destruct...well......self destructs before he gets the chance to post then im happy to exploit you and sell my seat.......i only wants £20 squid so i'm at the low end of exploitation......and when you add to basket ill also be looking for postage......but the seat is pretty good :evil :evil :evil
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2014, 10:41:53 pm »
It's from a seat I ripped apart last year. I tried mounting my seat the base of the new one to gain a couple of inches more legroom, but discovered I needed to stretch the seat cover too much so it was a non-starter.

If your plastic base hasn't got the stud plate I can send that too, but it'll mean you taking the seat foam out to fit that. It might be too much of a ballache for the sake of £20, so I'd recommend going with Noggy if that's the case. Cheapest one on ebay is £37 with postage (£25 + £12) so Noggy's is a bargain!  ;)

Dearest is £138.66, wtf?!  :eek  I'd want a built in latex fanny for that amount!
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.