Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Ignition coil life?

(1/3) > >>

Likesbikes:
Hi guys. Generally how long do the ignition coils/leads last on these bikes?

Got a ‘99 that is having some issues, suspect it’s the pilot circuit on the no.3 carb but they’ve already been out and cleaned. Just investigating other things before the PITA of taking them out again (more specifically the PITA of putting them back in).

The coils didn’t seem to match the Haynes manual specs although I’m not particularly good with a multi-meter so that could be me, the bike runs fine once revving but misfires on the 3rd cylinder at idle.

Cheers in advance

Gnasher:
That's almost a how longs is a piece of string question.  Some can fail in a matter of years others still working fine and everything in between.  As a general rule it's more mileage related than time.

As there's only two coils with 2 HT leads it would be 2 cylinders not firing, not just one, if you had a coil issue.

If you've had issues which prompted you to remove the carbs and clean he pilot circuit? Chances are it's still that, that's the issue.  Does the cylinder fire and run/rev above 4k?  If so it's not the HT circuit, it's the carb.

Likesbikes:
Hey cheers from the reply.

Just back in from the garage for further exploration, on further examination my substandard ears seem to still hear a misfire at high revs and the feel of the exhaust flow at the tailpipe against my palm support this. Realise it’s not particularly scientific.

A spray of water on the downpipes reveals that #3 is running much cooler. Swapped the leads over between 2 and 3 and still running cool on 3  so I’ve eliminated that I think. Leads have been trimmed back and caps replaced in the last year or so. Checked gaps on all the spark plugs then swapped them around, still the same so I’m thinking the ignition is good.

The intake rubbers are nearly new, so I reckon it must be the carbs. They were out after we bought it for another issue and we had them cleaned while they were out. I do wonder if they only got a cursory clean at a local place.

Likesbikes:
Oh forgot to say, it’s got just over 48k on the clock.

It’s not my bike, it’s the wife’s. We bought it cheap and there was a lot to tell me it’d never been looked after particularly well. Think it’s just a dog if I’m honest, trying to convince her to buy a Tracer lol

BBROWN1664:
sounds like a blocked jet on #3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version