Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Exhaust Headers

<< < (3/3)

fazersharp:

--- Quote from: b1k3rdude on 01 April 2024, 04:15:45 pm ---The phrase Sharp was possibly looking for is 'galvanic corrosion' where you have 2 dissimilar metals (Aluminium alloy of the cylinder head and the mild steels of the studs.

--- End quote ---
That's the monkey  :thumbup

robbo:

--- Quote from: agricola on 31 March 2024, 10:09:33 pm ---if you go for dome nuts, make sure that the thread on the stud does not contact with the dome inside when torqued up, easy to get this wrong as the gaskets will compress when the nuts are tihjtened and lead to the stud tightening against the dome inner, givine the feeling that its fitted correctly when it isnt. A simpler option is to use connector nuts so its not a problem how much thread is exposed https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-a2-stainless-steel-threaded-rod-connecting-nuts-m6-10-pack/4720g

[Edited to fix the broken link: GrahamM - Moderator]

--- End quote ---
I did consider the connector nuts at the time, but preferred the idea I went for in the end, in using a regular stainless nut to hold the header in place, with the dome nut covering the small amount of exposed thread
that remained with no fear of it bottoming out, purely acting to seal the end of the stud from the elements. Peace of mind more than anything else, as any job involving exhaust studs usually doesn’t go as well as expected..

returning rider:
i will second the do not touch the studs i have 4 broken off hence why bike is off the road possibly for good.

The studs are very weak and corrode like mad if you can get the nuts off great if not cut slots in the nuts open them up as getting the studs out is pain in the ass big time.

My bike has stainless manifold, great but the ham fisted way it was fitted wrecked the studs.

As said get the connector bolts lots of thread to grip and do not over tighten the studs are made of cheese.

butthead:

--- Quote from: agricola on 30 March 2024, 03:30:22 pm ---Leave the studs alone, count your blessings, and buy a lottery ticket

--- End quote ---

:lol :lol :lol :lol  most definitely !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version