Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Exhaust Headers

(1/3) > >>

Middy2000:
Got an advisory for an exhaust leak and it's on the webbed section of the headers where they meet.  Was going to explore option of welding it as I'm aware of the nightmares people have with the studs.

Decided to have a tentative fiddle and to my amazement (relief) all 8 nuts turn. The ones I can see it's definitely nut and not stud that's turning.

So....should i replace the nuts only or when I fit new headers should I remove the studs and replace too?

fazersharp:
I wouldn't push your luck, I don't know anyone who has tried to remove the studs, likely they have "welded" themselves due to that different metal thingy.
Welding might make it worse unless you are good at very thin welding.
I have small holes also in the collector area and have filled with JB Weld high heat putty and so far has lasted 2 years - other stuff I have tried has fallen out after about 500 miles.   

Middy2000:
I've used JB Weld to good effect before so might be an option but given that nuts are moving I'm confident i can get the headers of.  It was just a case of whether I tried the studs too.

fazersharp:
As no one has chipped in I will say again if the studs look good then leave them well be as they are made out of cheese like a lot of the parts on our bike.How do you propose to get them off - with the two nut locknut method if so then consider that is how people end up snapping the studs because the nut is rusted on.

agricola:
Leave the studs alone, count your blessings, and buy a lottery ticket

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version